News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Religion and Covid-19

Started by Biggus Dickus, April 13, 2020, 07:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

It seems to me the religious folks have earned their own thread on this topic.

Virginia pastor who defiantly held church service dies of coronavirus

QuoteHe practiced what he preached — then he died of coronavirus.

An evangelical pastor died of COVID-19 just weeks after proudly showing off how packed his Virginia church was — and vowing to keep preaching "unless I'm in jail or the hospital."

In his last known in-person service on March 22, Bishop Gerald O. Glenn got his congregation at Richmond's New Deliverance Evangelistic Church to stand to prove how many were there despite warnings against gatherings of more than 10 people.

"I firmly believe that God is larger than this dreaded virus. You can quote me on that," he said, repeating it a second time to claps, saying that "people are healed" in his church

...His wife, Marcietia Glenn, is also sick with the bug, with church members offering their prayers.

Their daughter, Mar-Gerie Crawley, told WTVR that her father initially dismissed his symptoms because he has a condition that often leads to fevers and infections.

She is now urging everyone to stay home.

ARTICLE
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

No one

His Holy Noodleness doth not shineth his Holy light upon thine stupidity.

Asmodean

Well, there was one of them Iranian priestly types who was all like "Punishment from Allah because China bad"

Aaand fast forward a few weeks and China is way more under control than, say, Iran.

If you want a god people, at least bloody pick one who actually likes you!
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Old Seer

One has to wonder then why the  all seeing eye in the sky didn't keep the virus in China. So why was this preacher man removed form his good graces. It could be, but I'm not absolootlee sure a virus cares about it. As best I understand a virus doesn't have a brain, could be but ----whatever.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Recusant

Jesus has called many of his beloved to his bosom. This article focuses on black churches of a particular denomination in the US, but we know that it's not only black church leaders who've scoffed at the danger of the bug and paid for it with their lives.

"'A phantom plague': America's Bible Belt played down the pandemic and even cashed in. Now dozens of pastors are dead" | The Independent

QuoteDozens of pastors across the Bible Belt have succumbed to coronavirus after churches and televangelists played down the pandemic and actively encouraged churchgoers to flout self-distancing guidelines.

As many as 30 church leaders from the nation's largest African American Pentecostal denomination have now been confirmed to have died in the outbreak, as members defied public health warnings to avoid large gatherings to prevent transmitting the virus.

Deaths across the US in areas where the Church of God in Christ has a presence have reportedly stemmed from funerals and other meetings among clergy and other church staff held during the pandemic.

The tragedy among one of the largest black Pentecostal groups follows a message of defiance from many American churches, particularly conservative Christian groups, to ignore state and local government mandates against group gatherings, with police increasingly called in to enforce the bans and hold preachers accountable.

The virus has had a wildly disproportionate impact among black congregations, many of which have relied on group worship.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

A sad commentary about the misfortune of some of our citizens.   The oath has gone around in those communities that: Jesus is my vaccine.

Recusant

God doesn't wear a mask!

QuoteThis is the greatest nation on earth founded on Judeo-Christian Principles. One of those principles is that we are all created in the image and likeness of God. That image is seen the most by our face. I will not wear a mask.

This from an Ohio state Representative on Facebook, as noted by a reporter from the Ohio Capital Journal on Twitter.

I would be pleasantly surprised if the link to the story below works for people in Europe and elsewhere. Since the EU's General Data Protection Regulation came into effect, many smaller news outlets in the US have put up geoblocks rather than making their sites compliant.

"State rep. won't wear mask because faces are the 'likeness of God'" | Ohio Capital Journal

QuoteHaving already claimed that face masks do not work, state Rep. Nino Vitale offered a new reason Monday why he wouldn't wear a mask during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic — because faces are the "likeness of God."

Vitale, a Republican from Urbana, has been among the most outspoken critics against the health orders issued by Gov. Mike DeWine and Ohio Department of Health Director Dr. Amy Acton. He has called their COVID-19 response unconstitutional and in recent days has openly encouraged Ohioans to ignore their shutdown orders.

On Monday, Vitale took to Facebook to share more thoughts about wearing face masks.

"This is the greatest nation on earth founded on Judeo-Christian Principles," he wrote on his official page. "One of those principles is that we are all created in the image and likeness of God. That image is seen the most by our face. I will not wear a mask."

During the pandemic, Vitale has spent much of his time downplaying the severity of the virus and sharing conspiracy theories. He's attended numerous protests at the Ohio Statehouse calling for DeWine to reopen the state. At one such protest, he alleged that Bill Gates may have created the coronavirus: [Twitter link]

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on May 04, 2020, 09:13:47 PM
God doesn't wear a mask!

QuoteThis is the greatest nation on earth founded on Judeo-Christian Principles. One of those principles is that we are all created in the image and likeness of God. That image is seen the most by our face. I will not wear a mask.

This from an Ohio state Representative on Facebook, as noted by a reporter from the Ohio Capital Journal on Twitter.

I would be pleasantly surprised if the link to the story below works for people in Europe and elsewhere. Since the EU's General Data Protection Regulation came into effect, many smaller news outlets in the US have put up geoblocks rather than making their sites compliant.

"State rep. won't wear mask because faces are the 'likeness of God'" | Ohio Capital Journal

QuoteHaving already claimed that face masks do not work, state Rep. Nino Vitale offered a new reason Monday why he wouldn't wear a mask during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic — because faces are the "likeness of God."

Vitale, a Republican from Urbana, has been among the most outspoken critics against the health orders issued by Gov. Mike DeWine and Ohio Department of Health Director Dr. Amy Acton. He has called their COVID-19 response unconstitutional and in recent days has openly encouraged Ohioans to ignore their shutdown orders.

On Monday, Vitale took to Facebook to share more thoughts about wearing face masks.

"This is the greatest nation on earth founded on Judeo-Christian Principles," he wrote on his official page. "One of those principles is that we are all created in the image and likeness of God. That image is seen the most by our face. I will not wear a mask."

During the pandemic, Vitale has spent much of his time downplaying the severity of the virus and sharing conspiracy theories. He's attended numerous protests at the Ohio Statehouse calling for DeWine to reopen the state. At one such protest, he alleged that Bill Gates may have created the coronavirus: [Twitter link]

[Continues . . .]

Does God wear clothes? If not, I can't imagine a better religious argument for nudism.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

doesn't need clothes. hes got feathers

Psa_91:4  He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."