News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again

Started by OldGit, December 14, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 13, 2017, 11:17:33 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 13, 2017, 05:04:06 AM
Why, at almost 5-bloody-a-bloody-m, whilst laying awake after a trip to the loo, does my mind suddenly think of "marked" as a synonym for "significant" - as in, "He had a [insert here] effect on history"! Back to the link with "signal" and "signature" again, "making one's mark", on paper, in a job or situation . . .

Tsk, brains, who can tell how they work?

Oh, maybe people like you, Silver?

:lol: I would love to be able to see the thought processes that go on in yours! :P  ;D

My mind is a butterfly, it flits from interesting flower to interesting flower - merely sampling a fact here, drinking deeply of the nectar of knowledge there. A hundred flowers a day are needed to find a gem.

(And twice my normal wine ration, as I have had tonight, oft causes me to wax lyrical. I'll hope the waning bit waits 'til the morning...)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 14, 2017, 08:59:23 PM
Why, at almost 5-bloody-a-bloody-m, whilst laying awake after a trip to the loo, does my mind suddenly think of "marked" as a synonym for "significant" - as in, "He had a [insert here] effect on history"! Back to the link with "signal" and "signature" again, "making one's mark", on paper, in a job or situation . . .

:lol: I would love to be able to see the thought processes that go on in yours! :P  ;D

My mind is a butterfly, it flits from interesting flower to interesting flower - merely sampling here, drinking deeply of the nectar of knowledge there. A hundred flowers a day are needed to find a gem.

(And twice my normal wine ration, as I have had tonight, oft causes me to wax lyrical. I'll leave the waning bit 'til the morning...)

:grin:

"A hundred flowers a day are needed to find a gem."

Or suffer an nectar overdose.

Sorry, I'm incapable of being poetic today. :P 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 14, 2017, 09:24:10 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 14, 2017, 08:59:23 PM

My mind is a butterfly, it flits from interesting flower to interesting flower - merely sampling here, drinking deeply of the nectar of knowledge there. A hundred flowers a day are needed to find a gem.

(And twice my normal wine ration, as I have had tonight, oft causes me to wax lyrical. I'll leave the waning bit 'til the morning...)

:grin:

"A hundred flowers a day are needed to find a gem."

Or suffer an nectar overdose.

Sorry, I'm incapable of being poetic today. :P

You cannot overdose on the nectar of knowledge!

(Been known to overdose on mead, the holy spirit distilled from the nectar of flowers, though. (OK, it's brewed from honey but that is so mundane . . .))

xSilverPhinx

'Randomically'...is that even a word? :notsure: I know 'randomly' but have never seen 'randomically' before.

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 17, 2017, 04:53:15 PM
'Randomically'...is that even a word? :notsure: I know 'randomly' but have never seen 'randomically' before.

It's not in the Oxford English Dictionary, and is likely an invention of the writer. Certainly superfluous to requirements.  :D
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Sounds like a description of a fast moving, multi-participant, free-choice stand-up comedy show!

Seems it could be made-up, but does that qualify it as a word? Best entry I found was this one

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/83611/what-does-randomically-mean

Dave

It's bloody done it again!

Try to post and the thingie goes tound and nothing happens for a long time. Cancel and try to resend and nothing happens at all. Go back a page on the browser and post agspain - that works, but seems the first one got posted anyway, just the notification and refresh does not reach me.

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on September 17, 2017, 05:01:22 PM

It's not in the Oxford English Dictionary, and is likely an invention of the writer. Certainly superfluous to requirements.  :D

Superfluous to the British Corpus anyway - America sometimes seems to go in strange language directions and retains a lot of words we now think of as archaisms here.

If I had found this word put into the mouth in one of the characters in, say, Spike Milligan's, "Puckoon", (or even Dylan Thomas', "Llareggub") I would have just accepted it and read on.

xSilverPhinx

Yeah...I pretty sure they meant 'randomly', as in randomly assigned to different groups. I tried looking up if 'randomically' was some obscure statistical term but couldn't find anything.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 17, 2017, 05:06:09 PM
It's bloody done it again!

Try to post and the thingie goes tound and nothing happens for a long time. Cancel and try to resend and nothing happens at all. Go back a page on the browser and post agspain - that works, but seems the first one got posted anyway, just the notification and refresh does not reach me.

I hate it when that happens! That's why I always copy my lengthy replies before posting, I don't have the patience to retype the whole thing! :haironfire:

Recusant

Quote from: Dave on September 17, 2017, 05:27:46 PM

Superfluous to the British Corpus anyway . . .

The OED covers American words, and more:

QuoteThe varieties of English covered include British English, American English, Australian English, New Zealand English, the Englishes of South and South-East Asia, Southern Africa, and the Caribbean, among others.

Quote from: Dave on September 17, 2017, 05:27:46 PM. . . America sometimes seems to go in strange language directions and retains a lot of words we now think of as archaisms here.

I'm 100% in agreement with you here.  :)

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on September 18, 2017, 04:05:31 AM
Quote from: Dave on September 17, 2017, 05:27:46 PM

Superfluous to the British Corpus anyway . . .

The OED covers American words, and more:

QuoteThe varieties of English covered include British English, American English, Australian English, New Zealand English, the Englishes of South and South-East Asia, Southern Africa, and the Caribbean, among others.

Quote from: Dave on September 17, 2017, 05:27:46 PM. . . America sometimes seems to go in strange language directions and retains a lot of words we now think of as archaisms here.

I'm 100% in agreement with you here.  :)
Ah, I have the ODE, Oxford Dictionary of English, but that is about 15 years old! That's aged for a dictionary these days.

Sorry, my comment was just a small dig at American English, or perhaps more American usage. Especially if your name is George W Bush? Hmm, "Bush's Usage and Abusage of American English" , sounds like a viable title!

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 18, 2017, 07:42:04 AM
Was it Bush who used the word "irregardless"?
Dunno, but it is defined, as an alternative for "regardless," in Oxford Dictionaries. Good chance it was though!

Arturo

"Hungrinator"

A person who destroys everything in his/her path to get to the food lol
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱