News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

COVID-19

Started by Tank, March 10, 2020, 07:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Got my first dose of Covid vaccine today. It turned me into a NEWT!

I got better, though.

No one

I need eye of newt for my next round of hexes. Coincidence, methinks not.

Tank

Almost 11 million doses administered in the UK as of today.

They are starting a new piece of research in the UK. They are going to mix vaccines. First shot of one type second shot of a different type. The hope is that because the vaccines trigger in subtly different ways they will create a wider and more long lasting immune response. It is also hoped that the combination will give a better protection from new mutations.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

My wife and I have both had two doses and over a week has passed.  Now we can party naked in the streets. With masks, of course.

xSilverPhinx

Lucky. There's no prospect of my family and I getting the vaccine any time soon. ::) :(  It will probably take a few months.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Evidence of ancient coronavirus epidemics:

"We found traces of humanity's age-old arms race with coronaviruses written in our DNA" | The Conversation

QuoteA coronavirus may have swept across East Asia more than 20,000 years ago, leaving traces in the DNA of people in modern China, Japan and Vietnam. Our research, published in Current Biology, found evidence of genetic adaptation to the coronavirus family of viruses in 42 genes in modern populations in these regions.

The COVID-19 pandemic, caused by the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, is so far responsible for more than 3.8 million deaths and billions of dollars in economic losses worldwide. The coronavirus family also includes the related MERS and SARS viruses, both of which have caused significant deadly outbreaks in the past 20 years.

Our results show how the hunt for genetic traces of historical viral outbreaks may help us treat the outbreaks of the future.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

A critical look at reporting on the "lab leak hypothesis," noting that the recent attention it's received isn't based on genuine evidence.

"US Media Give New Respect to Lab Leak Theory—Though Evidence Is as Lacking as Ever" | FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy In Reporting)

QuoteWhile many Western media outlets (e.g., NBC, 5/4/20; BBC, 4/26/20) reported on the evidence-free speculations surrounding a potential lab leak of the SARS-CoV-2 virus from the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV) in China's Hubei province last year (FAIR.org, 4/17/20), it has never enjoyed as much mainstream credibility as it has in recent months.

Although several reports in 2020 uncritically parroted US officials like Sen. Tom Cotton and former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and discredited defectors like Yan Li-Meng, there were also many reports at the time disputing and dismissing their claims of a lab leak as a "conspiracy theory" (e.g., Vox, 3/12/20; AP, 12/17/20; Business Insider, 6/2/21).

[. . .]

Despite the sudden media enthusiasm for the lab leak theory, there remains as little compelling evidence that the virus escaped from a Chinese lab as there always has been . . .

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tom62

I had my first BioNTech-Pfizer jab today at the company I work for.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tom62 on June 30, 2021, 02:40:40 PM

Good. Any side effects?

Tom62

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 30, 2021, 06:16:17 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on June 30, 2021, 02:40:40 PM

Good. Any side effects?

Nothing at all.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

My younger daughter, her husband and their older son (eight) have all tested positive over the last 3 days. All having minor symptoms.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Yikes. Let's hope the symptoms STAY minor!

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 13, 2021, 06:54:22 PM
Yikes. Let's hope the symptoms STAY minor!

They should. They are both double vaccinated and in their 30's.

Dark Lightning

Ah, OK. Somehow I got that they hadn't been vaccinated. It must be a huge relief to know that they are vaccinated.

billy rubin

last week i hsd a preload of wood pellets to go 650 miles to iowa. then they called and said take it back, shut down for covid.

today-seven days later-- i am under those same wood pellets going back to iowa.

hopefully they are all out of quarantine

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."