News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Well, they did say that climate change would lead to weather as polarised as the US political climate. Climate change is not going anywhere though, so... I suppose we have to figure out ways of mitigating the effects.

It's floods now, then..? The local media are completely silent about it as I have seen. Bad? Really bad..?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on January 17, 2023, 07:53:27 AMWell, they did say that climate change would lead to weather as polarised as the US political climate. Climate change is not going anywhere though, so... I suppose we have to figure out ways of mitigating the effects.

It's floods now, then..? The local media are completely silent about it as I have seen. Bad? Really bad..?

It's been on the prime time news in the UK. Nothing like as bad as Pakistan but still very bad.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

I am trying to paint, but the heat is making it a very unpleasant experience. The temperature is 29° with 27% humidity today. Shouldn't complain, because it's the first real summer weather we have had this season. Luckily sweat drops have no effect on oil paints!  :unsure:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

The Magic Pudding.

It has been a record setting cool summer here on the coast, we haven't had a flood for some months.
There's been a slow moving flood working it's way through the inland rivers.
Food production has suffered, over recent years we've had record dry and record wet.
The curse of living in a time of interesting climate, I wonder what the next few years will bring.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding. on January 17, 2023, 11:50:09 AMI wonder what the next few years will bring.
My money is on more-ish of the same-ish.

...Should probablty make it literal and invest a lot more in crop and livestock modification. Methinks that it may become relevant enough to be worth its weight in hundred dollar bills sooner rather than later.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Tank on January 22, 2023, 11:51:38 AMFrosty morning

Could be dementors, they are known to  hang out in neighbourhoods like that.

Tank

Today is cold (8C) but bright sunshine. The dog will be walked later :)

billy rubin

day before yesterday was halfway to spring

the way we mark it anyway, with solstices and equinoxes

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

damn it. its springtime on the prairies, and im not there.

for years and years i lived through spring time on the section lines. arrow straight roads through the flat, flat lands. in the kansas  afternoons you watched the squalls drift past the grain elevators in the distance, trailing columns of rain beneath and behind. in the oklahoma mornings the fair weather cumulus transitioned to nimbus, as the snowy white clouds gathered moisture and energy and towered into anvils topped out at 30 000 feet and higher. and in the high plains in west texas those thunderheads tipped up and over the horizon, white on top in the clean sunshine, and black beneath where the towns and the cows stood under the curtainclouds.

and when the days were warm and the rains came, the twisters came too. usually at night, where you couldnt tell they were coming without the sirens. but in the mornings if you took a drive in the clear, rain washed air, you would pass piles of sticks that used to be buildings. metal troughs that you realized were barns lyi g on their roofs, broken trails through the woods as if a giant blade had scraped the ground clean.

the weather of the prairies in springtime is permanently imprinted in me. the wet blacktops lancing the vanishing points of the distant horizon, the skies dropping the hailstones, invisible until the subtended angle became large enough to see, 30 or 40 feet over your head and by that time too close to dodge as they smacked your head and shojlders. the wet and shiny box turtles stumping down the muddy roads, always going somewhere else and who knew where but them. and always the towering clouds. the wind, always there, never stopping, whether its the rustling of the leaves in tbe cottonwoods or the cracking of the tree trunks in the thunderstorms.

i dont get that in the springtime appalachians. a totally different world here. woodland frogs, swelling brooks and streams, and the returning avifauna-- today the meadowlarks are back. i heard one in the hayfield. gentle rains and frosts and snow flurries even, well until may. its own world, quietly introspective and local. alive and active in its own way. but nothing to rival the majestic scale and casual violence of the prairies in the spring.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

^ that was rather elegant Billy. Keep doing it.

billy rubin

two people killed by a tornado in cole, oklahoma.

about 10 miles from the ffarm my family homesteaded on the chickasaw nation, about the same distance from where i was born and went to university

i heard on the news that tbe deaths were in "central oklahoma," but apparently big city newscasters still havent figured out thst oklahoma has towns and cities.

looked it up tonight and discovrred where it had been.

Tank

It's honestly beyond my limited comprehension to understand why people would live where tornadoes are known to happen.

billy rubin

because its mesmerizing. it draws you in, like the sea. you cant help yourself.

these are all sunsets in oklahoma

theres more than colours there -- youre looking at billions and billions of megawatts, unimaginable energy driving unimaginable power. a serene face to nuclear-level strength

you might be hooked too, if you went there.