News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

All things brain...

Started by Claireliontamer, July 12, 2017, 08:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claireliontamer

After the conversation about attention on the 'What's on your mind thread?' this popped up in my YouTube feed.

I thought it would be more useful to start a brain thread rather than trying to find the original discussion.

joeactor

Interesting distinction with "Covert Attention". That must be on steroids for me. I pick up every conversation in a noisy place without even trying.

Not sure how you can make the same distinction with computers, though. They're either paying attention, or not paying attention. Maybe something quantum computing can tackle...

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Just to leave to this here:

http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=724.msg354756#msg354756

(discussion on creativity and attention from the What's on your mind thread. 

Claireliontamer

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 13, 2017, 02:48:29 AM
Just to leave to this here:

http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=724.msg354756#msg354756

(discussion on creativity and attention from the What's on your mind thread.

Thank you, I couldn't face trawling through the threads!

xSilverPhinx

Came across this short video on Youtube on the debunking of certain "neuromyths", as she calls them.

Claireliontamer

Another new Ted talk on the brain.

joeactor

Thanks for sharing that hallucination with me, Claire ;-)

xSilverPhinx

I haven't watched this yet, but it's with the same guy:

Arturo

Quote from: Claireliontamer on July 18, 2017, 10:15:02 PM

Another new Ted talk on the brain.

I liked that one where he talks about the methods of prediction go "wrong" and you get visual hallucinations that other's do not see. I get that because of when I went through psychosis, that is exactly how it appeared. The "predictions" I had were not the same as other's in more ways than one.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

The topic of 'left vs. right' came up in Hermes' Puzzle thread, so I thought I'd leave this TED-ed video here (came out just yesterday).

Arturo

The fact that still has to be talked about flips my shit
     Arturo The1  リ壱

hermes2015

Thanks for the video, Arturo, that was very interesting. I was using the terms mainly as convenient labels for two ways to see that puzzle. These shortcuts in terminology can save many words in a discussion, although I probably should have used the quotes: "left" and "right".
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Arturo

Woah wait. I think you mean xSilverPhinx
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

Well dammit Silver.  I am ambidextrous so I wanted to believe that Both sides of my brain were working in unison such that my brain was better than most.  Oh Well! Live and learn. :grrr: