News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Music / Re: What are you listening to?
Last post by billy rubin - July 15, 2024, 11:39:48 PM
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
Last post by Tank - July 15, 2024, 06:36:00 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on July 15, 2024, 10:21:50 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 14, 2024, 09:38:23 AM1", just 1"!
Were you lamenting that Donald Trump was injured, or that he was not killed?

I shall leave that to your imagination :)
Science / Re: Living longer.
Last post by billy rubin - July 15, 2024, 01:53:22 PM
vonnegut wrote of a man who was given a choice- to complete his death or walk the galapagos as a ghost for a million years and then choose again for a final time.

after a million years of change nothing that he valued was still recognizeable. when his time was up, he chose to move on.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galápagos_(novel)
Religion / Re: Christian Nonduality
Last post by billy rubin - July 15, 2024, 01:47:49 PM
it would mess up my summer vacation though
Science / Re: Living longer.
Last post by Asmodean - July 15, 2024, 10:39:43 AM
I agree with Billy.

I want a certain quality to my life. Been there, done that, planted a tree, built a bunch of houses... Yeah. I think there may come a point where I will be content with what's in my rear view mirror without really looking forward to what's in my windshield.
Politics / Re: Duke of Bullshit: "The" Do...
Last post by Asmodean - July 15, 2024, 10:35:17 AM
The guy did have the look of a "manlet who has preferred pronouns" about him, but generally, they are not the dangerous kind. Hmm... Perhaps he was only incidentally dangerous, having planned poorly, if at all, and been too emotional and/or incompetent to execute his plan well.

It may very well not have been an attempt at a political assassination as much as an "out of school school shooting," or suicide by Secret Service. Perhaps someday we shall learn. Perhaps not.

I don't see how your case, Icarus, is in his defence - he still made the choice to shoot people who posed no immediate threat to his life and was in turn killed for his trouble. It's a condemnation, if you think about it.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
Last post by Asmodean - July 15, 2024, 10:21:50 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 14, 2024, 09:38:23 AM1", just 1"!
Were you lamenting that Donald Trump was injured, or that he was not killed?

Quote from: Dark Lightning on July 15, 2024, 02:06:22 AMI, most US voters, and a lot of people in the world would breathe a sigh of relief, is my call.
I think I would be saddened by an assassination of a political opponent - even the most loathesome of environ-mentalists or Communists. There be rules to the game, and my weapon against them is my vote. If it proves insufficient - then it's for me to opine from the shadows, building up support for my causes while they rule, until I can try again and try better.

Of course, it may be and probably is different in nations where if power were to change hands, it would have to involve someone's death. Then, different sorts of rules apply. The United States is not such a nation yet.
Last post by Asmodean - July 15, 2024, 10:05:37 AM
Quote from: zorkan on July 12, 2024, 12:27:01 PMSo what happens in the case of a Velikovsky type fable (1) a very large object hits Jupiter and a 'comet' is ejected and deflected into the path of the earth causing its axis to change. This time it does not miss the earth to become another planet.
Earth could even start spinning north to south and the poles will shift.

(1) Worlds in Collision by Immanuel Velikovsky, much criticised, but such an event could still happen with Jupiter attracting bodies like rogue planets from outside the solar system.
Well, if your planetary coordinate lattice terminates on the axis of rotation, that would "geographically shift" your poles. Other than that and a mahussive crater... Yeah, not much would happen, I think.

You could, for instance, transform (or, "translate") the Earth's coordinate system such that the poles would lie on the equator. It makes little practical difference outside navigation, but it would still not be possible to venture across the North Pole and maintain northward motion.
Politics / Re: Duke of Bullshit: "The" Do...
Last post by Dark Lightning - July 15, 2024, 03:17:07 AM
^ Probably true. If he had been any kind of knowledgeable shooter, he'd have gone for center of mass. Probably no bystanders would have been killed or injured. Again, just speculation.
Last post by Icarus - July 15, 2024, 02:41:46 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on July 14, 2024, 04:00:57 AMno raci g this year. i had to cancel for july because all the cars broke at once and we ran out of money.

then the second meet in august was cancelled because of insufficient entries

what can i say,  icarus?

I say: somebody up there must like you. 

To be realistic, the risk is not worth the thrill that the LSR contest provides.  Consider that there could be an equally rewarding thrill if you were say......... a competitive chess player.