News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Redefining Polemicism

Started by jduster, October 31, 2010, 04:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jduster

"If you don't agree with my religion, you will suffer eternal damnation."

That's not polemicism.

Even questioning God once.  That's polemicism.

Does someone see anything wrong here?

Will

I have to admit my college philosophy and religious studies classes are failing me to the point I had to look up polemics. "the branch of theology dealing with the history or conduct of ecclesiastical disputation and controversy." Okay, I follow, but what's the discussion about? Semantics of "polemics"? The role of polemics? Whether or not a common Christian argument is polemics?
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Recusant

Quote from: "jduster""If you don't agree with my religion, you will suffer eternal damnation."

That's not polemicism.

Even questioning God once. That's polemicism.

Does someone see anything wrong here?

I agree with Will; this post is a tad cryptic.

For one, I don't view "polemics" as a pejorative term.  In my view, it would be correct to say that a lot of what we do here at HAF would fall into that category, and I freely own up to having engaged in polemic on several occasions here in the past.  Does "polemicism" carry some negative connotation which does not apply to either "polemics" of "polemicist?"

Since a polemicist is "a writer who argues in opposition to others (especially in theology),"* and polemic is "1  a : an aggressive attack on or refutation of the opinions or principles of another
b : the art or practice of disputation or controversy â€"usually used in plural but singular or plural in construction,"** I think that both of your example statements could be said to qualify. I believe it was you who corrected me regarding the proper usage of "Objectivism," as opposed to "positivism" (which I really appreciated-- no sarcasm intended), so I'm hoping maybe you can help me out by clarifying this...

*FreeDictionary.com
**Merriam-Webster.com
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken