News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Hey atheists, want to know what you can't talk about ?

Started by xxMaryJane, October 23, 2009, 12:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxMaryJane

Religion !
Oh please, I've been told so often that I couldn't ask questions about religion because I'm an atheist.
Because ''You don't get it'', because ''You don't believe it'', because ''if you're asking yourself those questions, you probably aren't a atheist at all !''...
You know, that's what they say.

I don't ask questions often. As I've said before in a previous post, I don't like to because I know I won't agree with their answers and if they get mad at me for talking about religion than I will get mad too. But I can't help it, sometimes I can be very curious.

Ok, first of all, I think I can ask questions about religion even if I'm not a theist myself. I didn't ask you to convince me or to prove me wrong about anything, I just want answers. Why do you believe in this ? If you believe that, than does that mean that ... How do you feel about this ?
See ? There's no hatred or attack in any of those questions. I'm just curious. And I'm open-minded. I don't get why some people can't understand how an atheist can be curious about a theist's beliefs without intending to insult them or whatever.. And I think this can work as well for theists who ask questions about atheism to atheists.

Secondly, I don't understand why this has anything to do with being a real atheist or not. What do you mean? I want to know why YOU believe something. Real atheist? Agnostic? Come on, yes I am an atheist. A strong atheist. But I have a little bit of agnostic in me. You know, they say it's better to have a mind opened by doubt that one closed by beliefs. My beliefs are strong. But I'm still open-minded enough to remember that there's no way to tell who's really ''right'' until we die. Or well, maybe we won't ever know, even after we die. It's as simple as that. Yes, religion doesn't make sense to me and I won't change the way I live because of the possible existence of a god. Honesly, I don't give a fu** ( Sorry for the bad language.. hey, at least it's censored ! ). If heaven and hell really exist, I guess I'll just end up in hell. Whatever...

And I don't get why everytime I ask a question on religion, there's always somebody who jokes : Haha that's so funny you're asking that ! We all know you are sooo believing what we tell you !...Can't you just answer my question and pass on? Yes, you know I'm an atheist. Can't I just talk about it without having someone trying to get me to talk about it? Sometimes I get tired of explaining atheism over and over again to my theist friends. It's just like : Look. You know what it is. I just want you to respond to my question. Alright? Thank you.
What I mean is, I don't necessarily feel like having a huuuge conversation on atheism everytime I ask a question about religion.

To conclude, I often feel like, to some theists who know me, it's still something new, something different or shocking. I don't know. I wonder if those friends of mine will ever get used to it. They've known it for a while but I don't know why they still act weirdly when I talk about religion.
''The world is a tragedy to those who feel but a comedy to those who think.''

Renegnicat

I can't say I'd be much help, darling. I view debate as the ultimate sport, and love pissing off religious people. I'd probably hurt your cause more than help it.

I will say this, however: If you're looking to get answers to your questions, asking your run of the mill christian won't get you anywhere. Most christian's don't know dudleyfuckingsquatdoodaartillerylandmechbronzeplate about their religion. Ask a leader of that religion. They'll be more likely not to dismiss you because you're an atheist, and are more likely to think that you are genuinely curious.  :evil:
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]