News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Large wave structure discovered in Milky Way

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, January 08, 2020, 02:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

It's called the Radcliff Wave, a large gas wave.  It is the largest of its kind in the galaxy, and alters our 3D understanding of the Milky Way.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/07/world/new-milky-way-map-scn/index.html

Recusant

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 08, 2020, 02:20:32 PM
It's called the Radcliff Wave, a large gas wave.  It is the largest of its kind in the galaxy, and alters our 3D understanding of the Milky Way.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/07/world/new-milky-way-map-scn/index.html

I had trouble understanding what was being described in that article. I think of a "wave" as an action occurring in a medium (most commonly water waves, in our experience). The illustration provided shows dots in a wavy line. I'd think that a true wave would form an undulation right across the medium of the Milky Way, rather than just a line.

I looked elsewhere, and found the "Radcliffe Wave" described as "an undulating, star-forming filament," and as "a swooping stream of gas and baby stars." I think "wave" is an ambiguous name for this phenomenon, and the CNN article does nothing to cut through the ambiguity. Still, the point is that there has been an interesting discovery made by the scientists involved. Thank you for posting that, Ecurb Noselrub:)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Yes, agreed about "wave".  It looks a bit like the path I walk when I'm drunk.  Perhaps "Radcliff Waivering" would be more appropriate?

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 09, 2020, 02:56:04 AM
I propose we call it a 'galaxy fart'. :P

Based on personal experience, I'd have to say that the red color comes from that black hole eating jalapeño peppers.

Your proposal is accepted.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 09, 2020, 04:18:29 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 09, 2020, 02:56:04 AM
I propose we call it a 'galaxy fart'. :P

Based on personal experience, I'd have to say that the red color comes from that black hole eating jalapeño peppers.

Your proposal is accepted.

:lol: Well, they do say it's hot gas, so...I guess you're right!  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey