News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Fellowship of Freethought

Started by Whitney, January 20, 2010, 06:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

I will be updating this post later with more info but I'm just too excited to wait till I have all the information that needs to be posted.

We started a new non-profit community owned/run open source organization here in Dallas, TX called the Fellowship of Freethought.  The idea behind it is to offer the community that many freethinkers miss after leaving church without all that bs associated with dogma, worship etc...and without "church" in the name (if anyone is familiar with ntcof, you know what I'm talking about).

Meetup:  http://www.meetup.com/FoFDallas/

Go fan it on facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fellowshi ... 7827190091

Follow it on twitter: @fofdallas

I'm excited and that means you should be too....right?  :bananacolor:

kenh

Interesting.  Nice use of the pansy in your logo.  Too bad I don't live in Dallas or I would probably be a member.
Is this affiliated with the North Texas Church of Freethought?

Will

This is a very good idea, Whitney!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

Quote from: "kenh"Is this affiliated with the North Texas Church of Freethought?

Let me put it this way....NO!!! :)

(pm me if you want an explanation; I don't want to post it online)

Whitney

Quote from: "Will"This is a very good idea, Whitney!

Thank you...we hope that other cities will like what we are doing and do the same (with their own spin)....once we get ourselves up and running smoothly we're going to put together a sort of how to start your own FoF package that others can use with no strings attached for free.

Whitney

Gawen

Title says it all. What do you do? How many usually show up? Who at this board goes to it? etc etc etc

I went to another well known meet-up (twice) a few years ago and wasn't impressed. What will impress me about the Fellowship of Freethought that would make me want to keep coming?

And, I'll ask the same questions of Ft. Worth Free Thinkers as well.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

MariaEvri

we dont have those things here: cypriot atheists are not not very organised (or at all)

but even if we did, I dont think I;d ever attend one. I hate crowds, even when its about things IM intereste din
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Whitney

Quote from: "Gawen"I went to another well known meet-up (twice) a few years ago and wasn't impressed. What will impress me about the Fellowship of Freethought that would make me want to keep coming?

I don't know what you like so how am I supposed to tell you if it is something you'd want to attend?

You must be talking about either North Texas Church of Tim or Metroplex....FoFD and FToFW are not really like either of those.

Gawen

Well, I mean, what do you do? Talk about? Where do you go? Is it just a gathering setting or activism or what or both or what? I'm interested in both places I listed above. NTCoFT I'm not so interested in.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

Whitney

Video of FoFD trip to dino valley (you can see exactly what they talk about): http://vimeo.com/10896933 links to more of the videos including the monthly meetings can be found on the side bar.  All the info is on meetup http://www.meetup.com/FoFDallas/ or the main website.

I haven't been to an FToFW event other than the joint DFWCoR Picnic and the halloween party in a long time due to living so far away and trying to cut down on expenses...they are really laid back and fun to hang out with.  They have dinner, go to bars, have pot lucks go to museum...Meredith (the organizer) will basically host anything people like doing.

Gawen

Thanks Whitney. I've been to the park several times now. Funny, but I've never seen a park ranger there. Been to the Creation museum as well, twice, but it was closed both times.

I reckon, eventually, I'll catch up with y'all sometime.