News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 11, 2019, 07:02:24 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 10, 2019, 07:41:47 PM
Just went on a shopping spree with my mother (from 9:00 to almost 16:00 :whew:) and bought stuff to furnish the new place. Not too many things though, we spent a lot more time looking at stuff than buying things.

That's good. Minimalism is good for the soul: I'd rather have one good piece in a space than a room full of fake crap.

Me too.  :thumbsup: I like a clean space, and all my fake crap is hidden away in cupboards, closets, under the rug... :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Siz

Quote from: billy rubin on November 11, 2019, 12:38:45 PM
thank you. i am informed that it is a ztylus, not a penm apparently it would assist in reducing typos but i am skeptical

i used to work geophysical boats back az a teenager and wove the retaining nets for the gun floats

the short zplice was when you unraveled a short section ofeach rope and wove them together. the long splice was when you unraveled perhaps three feet and cut the strands short a foot apart, 1, 2, 3. then you wound the strands for the ropes back together into the opposite piece so that you stretched the splice over all three feet, 1 with 3, 2 with 2, 3 with 1. it made a union that was no larger than the original line so that it would still reeve through a block and thats all i know about splicing
Yeah, basically the same thing, but the make up of the line changes the way its spliced. With my stuff, the strength is in the casing and the core is just filler. With some brands it's the opposite way around and the splicing method is completely different. I'm enjoying learning this new skill.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

billy rubin

pictures please!

i have no idea how that is done.

your boat too

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Siz

Quote from: billy rubin on November 11, 2019, 02:44:20 PM
pictures please!

i have no idea how that is done.

your boat too
This is My Blaze, named after the Harkonnen home world.

And here's me in it.

And here's MiniSiz's Buzz

and here's Minisiz in it, flying the kite and half on the trapeze.

And here's the video tutorial I used for the splice:

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

billy rubin

shit thats a REAL boat

and that splicing is way more sophizticated than ordinary 3-way rope

and. . .  i thought tge harkonnens were from giedi prime

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Siz

She's a handful in a blow for sure, but a whoooooole lotta wet fun!

I'm pretty mediocre at it, in all honesty (mid table at club level). I've done a lot of sports in my time, but nothing I've done beats dinghy racing in a 20knot wind for grin-factor.

Siz

Quote from: billy rubin on November 11, 2019, 08:47:57 PM
shit thats a REAL boat

and that splicing is way more sophizticated than ordinary 3-way rope

and. . .  i thought tge harkonnens were from giedi prime
Correct. See name on the hull.

This is state-of-the-art ropemaking. High-functioning, top spec.
I have several different types of line on the Blaze, including Vectran D12 which is 15 times stronger than steel weight for weight (and REALLY easy to splice)

billy rubin

yes. this is the old long splice

very different from braided lines for sure

what determines what material/weave is used for what on your boat?

Siz

Quote from: billy rubin on November 11, 2019, 11:51:21 PM
yes. this is the old long splice

very different from braided lines for sure

what determines what material/weave is used for what on your boat?
Ah, yeah, I've eye-spliced with that sort of line in the past, but never end to end. That must be satisfying.

All control lines are Marlow Excel 4mm. Lightweight inner core filler for bulking for better grip/holding.

Kicker is Vectran D12 on account of high loads. This could be as small as 3mm, but I use 4mm because it looks better. D12 used also for rear strop/traveller on account of high abrasion resistance. Also, 4mm for lower shrouds which I've eye-spliced in recently after my metal ones failed. The only issue is a lower UV resistance, but I don't mind the prospect of replacing every couple of years.
3mm D12 used for lashing mainsheet block around carbon boom to spread the load around it. Completely overkill but it looks awesome.

Main haliard is currently a Marlow d2 which is d12 with an outer polyester sheath for smooth running. This replaced my old 4mm 'English Braids' something-or-other.

There's also some nylon webbing around boom for kicker strop, and something cheap and cheerful lashing the trampolines to the racks.

Some 3mm something holding foot straps with 2mm dyneema core twine 'hold-up' ties.

And a crappy old bit of something else for the painter - keep meaning to change this for something more in keeping with the racing aesthetic.

Some 4mm bungee tie back for current control lines (soon to be replaced). Some 4mm bungee around mast to hold gathered haliard when on the water.

Same shit on rudder tie-down as on racks.

I think that's about it.

billy rubin

now i have to study

how often can you take it out?

Siz

Quote from: billy rubin on November 12, 2019, 01:05:59 AM
now i have to study

how often can you take it out?

Study for what? Are you a sailor too? Details....

I have every Sunday earmarked for sailing throughout the year. Whether I get out or not depends on wind. I'll hit the water with anything between 6 and 30knots. Although anything past 25 and I'm struggling. My boat is built for higher winds so is really uncompetitive (with me in it) below about 15knots. Anything above that and there's nothing on my pond that'll catch it on a reach... assuming I stay upright.

There's Wednesday evening racing in the summer, too.

billy rubin

no not a sailor just very interested in how those things work. i dont know how sailboats are rigged to pozition the parts so i have to look up your terminology.

i could never understand tacking until i took a toy car and fixed a vertical airfoil to it on a pivot. then i rotated the airfoil in front of a fan and eventually the car rolled into thecwind.

my experience on water is drillships and mudboats. sailing is totally different

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

That sailboat is way cool! I had considered learning sailing, (never learned how, having only worked in the engine room of a ship- no sails there!) but all my energy ended up spent on getting the kids food every day. Now that I'm retired and arthritic, I have to choose my energy expenditures carefully.

BoT, the last thing I bought was a wall plate that has a coaxial connector and a jack for the ethernet cable, in one piece! Saved me from punching another hole in the wall (after, of course, finding a stud, etc).

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Siz on November 11, 2019, 08:46:31 PM
This is My Blaze, named after the Harkonnen home world.

Very nice, real action people use unmotorised leisure vehicles.
You did know the Harkonnens were nice guys in the prequels?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.