News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

globalization

Started by billy rubin, June 30, 2020, 01:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

i have never been a fan of globalization. for years i watched american companies move jobs to mexico, where they pay people less and the imort the goods back into the statez.

the only way that works is if the job market is NOT global, but inztead consists of slots where labor iz cheap to buy and can be used to make products to sell elzewhere , where labor is NOT cheap.

globalization like thiz only globalizes profits, not worker prosperity. when poor people are exploited for rofit. its working as designed.

same with globalizing markets. by the time rome fell, they were importing their firewood from north africa, and economic necezsitiez from everywhere. ive watched my country become economically dependent on political adversariez for years, wondering when it would bite us.

in 2020 it did. we had a major calamity in the ztatez that globalization couldnt handle. people were dying in hospitals be ause there was no domeztic zource of hozpital gowns, masks, and ventilatorz. the stuff came from overseas and those countries needed it more.

we couldnt even test for disease becauze there was no domestic source for swabz. not testz, the little sticks to use in testing.

i dont expect thiz to change. the capitalistz who profit from globalization have not been affected by tbiz calamity. whentbe dust zettlez, theyll return to buzinezz az usual.

or maybe not. france dizposed of itz aristocracy in 1789, then recreated it zome 25 years later with napoleon. if the american situation gets worse, as itookzto, its ozsible that globalization may become a casualty.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tom62

I'm not a big fan of globalisation either. 2020 showed how it can backfire enormously. Furthermore, the idea that companies can make a lot of money by exploiting foreign workers is very bad indeed.

I think that there should be a couple of international regulations implemented, like
- at least 60-70% of the earnings should go to people who actually produce the goods; and
- an environmental tax on transport, which goes up when the goods are imported more remotely. 
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

Quote from: Tom62 on June 30, 2020, 03:39:53 PM

- at least 60-70% of the earnings should go to people who actually produce the goods; and

that would require a complete re-do of the maquiladoras, where lots of mexicans are taken advantage of. but th ereason they exist is because they *can* exploit the workers. if the money stays in mexico, then the factories will end up leaving for somewhere cheaper, the same way they came to mexico. it has to happen all over the world at once, or thetransnational corporations need to be reined in. i have a plan:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/25/investing/elizabeth-warren-treasury-secretary-biden/index.html

- an environmental tax on transport, which goes up when the goods are imported more remotely.

i have a plan for this too

https://environmentjournal.online/articles/generation-green-how-millennials-will-shape-the-circular-economy/

we'll see. my generation was the age of aquarius, and it didn't aquariate very long or very effectively. it went on to become th eage of what we have now. if the next one has better sense, then things might go the way we wanted them to fifty years ago.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Old Seer

I posted similar on another thread. Basically it looks as though the world over with a few exceptions I suppose, has to make the decision between Globalism and Nationalism. What we see now concerning the US is a push from Globalists for a takeover of the country. One has to consider which to support. If there's only the choice of one or the other one should do an investigation to decide a preference.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.