News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Art forms are everywhere

Started by Icarus, August 23, 2020, 12:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

This is a whole other way of expressing creativity and revealing both talent and remarkable patience.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/indian-rice-art-kolam?utm_source=Atlas+Obscura

No one

It's not well known, but I am an extremely talented magician. I can walk into a room and make everyone disappear.

viocjit

Quote from: No one on August 23, 2020, 12:44:18 AM
It's not well known, but I am an extremely talented magician. I can walk into a room and make everyone disappear.

Is it because you're so ugly ? When I see your avatar who represent you without face I understand what make people terrorized and why they escape.
Don't worry I understood your avatar is not like you look. How much kudos on my post for this joke ?

Dark Lightning

Quote from: viocjit on August 26, 2020, 10:02:01 PM

Is it because you're so ugly ? When I see your avatar who represent you without face I understand what make people terrorized and why they escape.
Don't worry I understood your avatar is not like you look. How much kudos on my post for this joke ?

Kudos not offered on this site. Hard to tell if this actually a joke, but your use of a language you are not native to would explain that. Maybe all he does is close his eyes, in which the people in the room would disappear.  :reading:

Magdalena

Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 27, 2020, 02:44:34 AM

Kudos not offered on this site. Hard to tell if this actually a joke, but your use of a language you are not native to would explain that. Maybe all he does is close his eyes, in which the people in the room would disappear.  :reading:

Maybe it sounds better in French? Maybe it even rhymes in French? Maybe something is lost in the translation, here? Maybe it's one of those, "You had to be there moments-- in France?"
:shrug:

:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

There is a French idiom that may be applicable here. I'm unable to give the actual French, but the literal meaning is something like "calling with bird's names." Maybe viocjit can help me out.  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

viocjit

I'm a native French speaker (I'm a French citizen and I did never hold another one. I lived my whole life in France) and English is my second language.
Maybe all he does is close his eyes, in which the people in the room would disappear in his mind because he's physically in a place but not mentally present.
A bit like a person in a jail who use strategies and tactics to survive to this ordeal.

I knew kudos are not available on this board only when I did finished to wrote my message.

Quote from: Magdalena on August 27, 2020, 07:26:57 AM

Maybe it sounds better in French? Maybe it even rhymes in French? Maybe something is lost in the translation, here? Maybe it's one of those, "You had to be there moments-- in France?"
:shrug:

:grin:

I wrote my messages in English without use French. I don't need a translator.
But sometime I can write message that aren't understandable or partially understandable because I have a lack of grammar and I have a lack of knowledge in idiomatic expression in English language.

Quote from: Recusant on August 27, 2020, 08:20:46 AM
There is a French idiom that may be applicable here. I'm unable to give the actual French, but the literal meaning is something like "calling with bird's names." Maybe viocjit can help me out.  ;)

"Calling someone with bird's names" or in French "Appeler quelqu'un par des noms d'oiseaux" is a French idiomatic expression meaning that you swear on someone.
For example if you say to a man "enculé" (French slang word meaning than this person is receiving anal sex) you did used a "nom d'oiseau" (bird name) toward him.
Sometime we can use literally bird names to offense someone but generally this expression is only used as an euphemism to say we insult someone.

How to pronounce "Appeler quelqu'un par des noms d'oiseaux" in standard French of France (Based on the pronunciation recommended by wiktionary. Even if the pronunciation given by wiktionary lack of details you'll have the basics to be understood by a French but I added the stress that is represented by the character '. In French rules to know where to place the stress is simplest than in English because this is still the last syllable that is stressed in approximately 99% of cases. When this is not the last that is stressed this is the syllable before the last. There are differences of pronunciation of words between regions and between people but the stress is still at the same place. There are also differences of pronunciation based on social class) if you know IPA or International Phonetic Alphabet ?

ap'le kɛl'kœ̃ paʁ de nɔ̃ dwa.'zo (Normally we pronounce "oiseau" as "wa.zo" in IPA but in this case there are a grammatical liaison between "d'" and "oiseau" and therefore we say "dwa.zo.". "d'" means "of" and it is used before a letter that is a vowel. Before a consonant we use the word "de" pronounced in IPA "də")

How to pronounce "Enculé" in standard French of France if you know IPA or International Phonetic Alphabet ?
ɑ̃.ky.'le (If you want to say this swear word to a woman it is pronounced the same way to swear to a man but the writing isn't the same. You must add the letter "e" after "é". It can appear strange but even if the pronunciation is the same the writing is different if it is addressed to a man or a woman)

Learn IPA on Wikipedia : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet
An article about phonology of English in Wikipedia : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_phonology
An article about phonology of French in Wikipedia : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_phonology

Dark Lightning

Interesting! In your reply above, when you say "liaison", the word you wanted is "elision". Just as an informational note, not a criticism. Just trying to help! I studied French one semester at uni and I'd have to say that French and English are a lot alike in their lack (for instance) of regular verbs. I don't remember a lot of it as I took that class in summer school in '82. Idiom has to be the worst, for understanding. I am in southern California, and I see all kinds of things in print in my own country that make no sense. The US is so far across east to west and north to south that even the accents make understanding difficult, sometimes.

Your comment about the prisoner closing his eyes clarifies the confusion about mental presence.

Recusant

I think both liaison and elision work here, describing different aspects of what we see. There is a liaison because in French, as viocjit says, a noun beginning with a vowel will be pronounced as if it has acquired a consonant from the preceding word; it liaises with that word. At the same time the preceding word in a way loses its own ending vowel; an elision.

My French is very poor, but I have been fortunate in having opportunities to learn some idioms of the language. Thank you, viocjit, for explaining "Appeler quelqu'un par des noms d'oiseaux".  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

viocjit

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 04, 2020, 04:11:24 AM
Interesting! In your reply above, when you say "liaison", the word you wanted is "elision". Just as an informational note, not a criticism. Just trying to help! I studied French one semester at uni and I'd have to say that French and English are a lot alike in their lack (for instance) of regular verbs. I don't remember a lot of it as I took that class in summer school in '82. Idiom has to be the worst, for understanding. I am in southern California, and I see all kinds of things in print in my own country that make no sense. The US is so far across east to west and north to south that even the accents make understanding difficult, sometimes.

Your comment about the prisoner closing his eyes clarifies the confusion about mental presence.

You're right but as the majority of French speakers or nearly the majority. I can use a word instead of another one.
We have so many words phonetically similar that we can easily use the bad word.
Many people say "Liaison" instead of "Élision" because we don't use these words in everyday life and the fact meaning are similar.
Few people will make a confusion between words who have radically a different meaning but when meaning is closer it is different.

Liaison is a feminine word pronounced as \ljɛ.'zɔ̃\ if we follow the pronunciation given by Wiktionary.
I added the ' to show the stress.
Élision is a feminine word pronounced as \\e.li.'zjɔ̃\ if we follow the pronunciation given by Wiktionary.
I added the ' to show the stress.
I prefer to precise this is the pronunciation given by Wiktionary when I say how to pronounce a word because all speakers doesn't systematically use the standard pronunciation.

Often in French language (I think it is more often than in English language) if you change a letter you change of word.
If you use the voiceless bilabial plosive consonant (p in IPA) instead of the voiceless dental plosive consonant (t̪ in IPA but like I use the transcription of Wiktionary to simplify and that I only add the stress. This consonant is write as t. t in IPA is the t letter in the majority of dialects of English languages but French speakers have the tendency to say t̪ instead of t when they speak in English) to say "tennis" (Same meaning than in English to speak about this sport and can also designate shoes to play to this sport. Pronounced \te.'nis\) you get "pénis" (This is not a false friend and you can guess the meaning. The standard pronunciation is \pe.nis\).

Some similar words in French (m = masculine or masculin in French pronounced \mas.ky.'lɛ̃\ f = feminine or féminin in French pronounced \fe.mi.nɛ̃\) :

1.Tirer (\ti.ʁe\ To pull , To shoot) and Virer (\vi.ʁe\ Slang word to say we fired an employee , Change of geographical direction)
2.Voir (\vwaʁ\ To see) and Boire (\bwaʁ\ To drink)
3.Trottoir (m) (\tʁɔ.twaʁ\ Sidewalk) and Dortoir (m) (\dɔʁ.twaʁ\ Dormitory)
4.Fille (f) (\fij\ Girl) and Bille (f) (\bij\ Marble in the context of children toy)
5.I think you readers did understood what I wrote. End of the torture session :D

Quote from: Recusant on September 04, 2020, 08:46:51 PM
I think both liaison and elision work here, describing different aspects of what we see. There is a liaison because in French, as viocjit says, a noun beginning with a vowel will be pronounced as if it has acquired a noun from the preceding word; it liaises with that word. At the same time the preceding word loses its own vowel; an elision.

My French is very poor, but I have been fortunate in having opportunities to learn some idioms of the language. Thank you, viocjit, for explaining "Appeler quelqu'un par des noms d'oiseaux".  ;)

Don't mention it ! I like to share my knowledge about my mother tongue. Share knowledge is a way to create bridges between humans.
When these knowledge are about languages it is making a bridge of contact and contact can allow us to avoid conflicts.

I hope a day we will see a language to unify all humans even if they will keep theirs native tongues.
I hope a day we will see an European state that will be a step toward a World state.

If there are a day an European state (An unified language would be necessary even if each people keep its local languages. Esperanto or a similar one seem to me the language we need) it would certainly not happens in my lifetime (I'm in my 20's) but I hope as a human , European in the context of European civilization , Westerner as western world is a subset of European civilization , Citizen of European Union conformely to Maastricht Treaty , Citizen of French Republic conformely to law of French Republic that I will live enough to see that during my lifetime and join the crowd in the streets to celebrate this event if I'm not too old and in good health.

MarcusA

Art is out of place in a museum. Art belongs in natural environs.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

Our senses are attuned to picking up on art. What we see, hear and touch, we feel.

The Magic Pudding.

MarcusA

Artists should be celebrated with wine or coffee.  - To your health, salut!

MarcusA

I like the temporariness of sand mandalas myself.