News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Thanks Dave, in this modern world I tend to forget the simple solutions!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on April 11, 2018, 02:53:40 PM
Thanks Dave, in this modern world I tend to forget the simple solutions!

Got a collection of wedges of different sizes (mostly smallish ones in pairs), good for all kinds of things!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

I have a self made gadget for my table saw that will produce perfect wedges.  I use them plentifully in things like boat building. 

jumbojak

New radiator goes in the big truck today. Two things I really wish we had. The first is concrete. The second is a pair of cable operated spring clamp pliers. There was serious consideration of cutting one clamp off with an angle grinder...

I was also suprised that the engine oil cooler is inside the radiator. That's just frickin' odd. Quick break for lunch now, toss the new radiator in and then we're off to pick up a fresh load of logs for the mill.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Well, the new radiator is in, the system has been bled, and there were only two extra parts left over. Aside from a lengthy battle with one clamp it went fairly smoothly and, if I'm not mistaken, we beat the book time. Now to haul some cows once the logs are here...

jumbojak

I'm experimenting with spoon carving. Hopefully I can lay hands on some fresh pear from a downed tree this weekend. The two by four was proof of concept.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on April 19, 2018, 10:53:46 PM

I'm experimenting with spoon carving. Hopefully I can lay hands on some fresh pear from a downed tree this weekend. The two by four was proof of concept.

That should be a satisfying project, with some sculptural possibilities. I like that square shape with rounded corners you've managed to get.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Yeah, the pine I was trying the gouges on was tearing something fierce. Better, greener wood should cut more easily. I was going for an eliptical bowl but the corners wouldn't cooperate.

jumbojak

I'm hoping to get to work on this tractor's charging system sometime in the near future. It's not quite as bad as it looks but... it'll still be a challenge. There's also a bit of work that needs doing with the transmission to get it working properly. For some reason it won't shift into low range. I suspect the neutral safety switch is corroded from water intrusion.

Having finally taken a look for myself it became immediately clear that my oldest brother had no idea of how a GM three wire alternator functions, much less how to properly retrofit the system. It also needs a new belt which might require pulling the hydraulic pump so I'll have to rig up some stands to support the engine and frame with the front axle pulled off. I'd like to roast the engineer who designed it that way. Still love that machine though.

Davin

I had to fix a valve on my sprinkler system, it was a pain. First, I only noticed it wasn't working when I saw that half my front lawn was getting dry. The valves were buried so I had to dig them up before I could fiddle with them. After a good amount of prodding and turning a few things, it all seemed to work for almost two weeks. Then one night, they didn't turn off so I had to cut off the water to them. I checked everything leaving the only option being that I had to replace the valve itself. The the valves were placed too closely together to remove because I couldn't turn them. I didn't want to pull it all up and redo it correctly and the part that screwed into the pipes seemed fine, so I just replaced everything else and it seems to be working fine now. I guess I'll see in a few weeks.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

jumbojak

Quote from: Davin on April 25, 2018, 02:45:37 PM
I had to fix a valve on my sprinkler system, it was a pain. First, I only noticed it wasn't working when I saw that half my front lawn was getting dry. The valves were buried so I had to dig them up before I could fiddle with them. After a good amount of prodding and turning a few things, it all seemed to work for almost two weeks. Then one night, they didn't turn off so I had to cut off the water to them. I checked everything leaving the only option being that I had to replace the valve itself. The the valves were placed too closely together to remove because I couldn't turn them. I didn't want to pull it all up and redo it correctly and the part that screwed into the pipes seemed fine, so I just replaced everything else and it seems to be working fine now. I guess I'll see in a few weeks.

Can you replace just the solenoid? I'm not terribly familiar with sprinkler systems but if it's a two piece valve assembly and you can get the parts it might be worth a shot. I'd check to see if it was a power issue first but if you're getting power to the valve when you're supposed to it could be a sticking solenoid that's causing the problem.

Davin

Quote from: jumbojak on April 25, 2018, 03:53:06 PM
Quote from: Davin on April 25, 2018, 02:45:37 PM

Can you replace just the solenoid? I'm not terribly familiar with sprinkler systems but if it's a two piece valve assembly and you can get the parts it might be worth a shot. I'd check to see if it was a power issue first but if you're getting power to the valve when you're supposed to it could be a sticking solenoid that's causing the problem.
The solenoid was not the problem, it still worked. I swapped it with another valve that I knew was working fine and put the one that was working fine onto the broken one. The broken one was still broken 8 out of 10 times, the working one still worked 10 out of 10 times. On top of not being able to see any problems with the electricity. That was before the valve just stayed on when it should have shut off.

When I replaced everything, I found that there was a hole in a rubber part under the solenoid, which is what made the sprinklers stay on. A small hole in it is probably what kept it somewhat working after I fiddled with it and it probably just got worse and worse. I'm pretty sure that was the problem, because the new valve rubber thing doesn't have the hole. Tested it and it now worked 10 out of 10 times, and even when the timer was going it worked as it should have. Also, no leaking from the valves so I'm pretty sure it's alright, but I'm going to keep an eye on it for a while.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

My GF and I made a retaining wall for some plants to go into in the front of our house.

We still have to cut and fit the top row, but we need to get a saw for that first. We're also thinking of putting in another row to make it a bit taller.

Dave

Do you have a "damp proof course" in your house construction? Or some other rising damp barrier system?

That soil would be too high for our UK building standards without extra measures.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

Any pooling will drain out the sides, and the walls are already set up well. I think all that's there is going to be overkill for a desert.