News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Another Mass Shooting

Started by Recusant, October 02, 2017, 06:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

There are a lot of guns in circulation in Norway as well, and yet somehow we barely ever shoot each other.

I'm just saying that maybe there is a larger issue in play here.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

yes.

switzerland has a rifle in every closet.

the american problem is not the gun, its the americans.

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Icarus

We have another one.  May 24. A small town in Texas had a shooter attack an elementary school in order to kill 18 children and three adults. Others wounded.

The second amendment is enduring a bit of stupid abuse, I would say.

Please say a prayer for the families of those little kids. I am for real. Those families need all the comfort they can get. It will cost we heathens nothing, and might even bring a bit of
 needed compassion for the victim families.

Addendum: fuck the Texas-GOP gun nuts and the horse they rode in on, in Texas and elsewhere

Firebird

Now it's 19 kids.
I don't even know what to do anymore. I vote every election, I donate money, I engage with people, I yell, and yet nothing ever seems to change.
And sorry, but the problem is most definitely the gun. There's a reason we're the only industrialized nation with this problem. The UK and Australia all passed restrictive gun laws (note, restrictive, NOT bans) after they endured massacres and it hasn't happened since.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

billy rubin

can i make what might be an unpopular observation?

i am absolutely in favor of gun control. in a sane world,  see no reason for citizens to own large capacity magazines in semi auto, body armour, and other accoutrements of military gear. thats just nuts.

but the world i live in is just nuts, too.

i own three semiauto weapons, and am contemplating buying another semiauto-- either a MAC-10 in 45 caliber, or a uzi machine pistol in 9mm. i dont need shit like this, but the puny little ruger LCP 380 i carry daily and the 45 hipoint i keep in the house are not likely to be helpful in the event that weirdness like uvalde appears on my doorstep.

i am not a threat to anybody. i have no axes to grind, no enemies to pursue, and no issues to process .but i live in a country where a gun of my own is a reasonable safety precaution against nut jobs with guns.

there are no police available to me within an hour. this is significant-- there are no municipal, state, or federal people to protect me, and uvalde illustrates what i have nown for many years-- the police are not there to protect you from harm.

having a gun-- a serious one, large capacity magazine, semi auto-- is a real solution to the world i live in. if ui could afford a license for full auto, i would happily buy an FN P90 bullpup. i dont like this, but its where i live.

interestingly, the P90 does not qualify as an assaut rifle, under the usual metrics. what kind of sense does that make?

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Icarus

10 more, separate, episodes scattered across the US during the weekend. Gun violence is approaching epidemic status.

Governor Abbot of Texas has proposed that school police officers carry bulletproof shields. Texas government will pay for shields. The state of Ohio is ready to encourage, perhaps even to require, teachers to pack heat. 

Abbot and the others who concoct such feeble solutions must be mentally handicapped. A decent engineer or competent craftsman will solve the problem by attacking it at the source. Politicians propose band-aid fixes. Band-aids are insufficient to stanch serious blood flow.   

Icarus

Billy, did you know that FN manufactured motorcycles in the post WW2 past?  Did you know that the German sewing machine company, Adler, built some nifty bikes in the past?  So did the Swiss sewing machine firm, Bernina. Husqvarna also builds sewing machines.

Asmodean

Quote from: Icarus on June 06, 2022, 09:45:33 PMBilly, did you know that FN manufactured motorcycles in the post WW2 past?  Did you know that the German sewing machine company, Adler, built some nifty bikes in the past?  So did the Swiss sewing machine firm, Bernina. Husqvarna also builds sewing machines.
You know, it makes a certain amount of sense...

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

i didnt know that. ive seen husqvarna kitchen appliances in sweden.

i used to have a winchester repeating arms company sausage grinder. im guessing that was a promotional giveaway.

jeez are thost cast iron wheels on that thing?

wait, im being trolled

lol

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on June 07, 2022, 06:01:08 PMwait, im being trolled
The Asmo would never!

...Where's my halo emoji?

Still, it does seem like sewing machine manufacturers tend to... Diversify. (Possibly into sewing machines, because hwy not?)

Like, Husqvarna's portfolio is from weapons to chainsaws, Peugeot mostly do cars these days, but they too made a sewing machine or three. Adler, as mentioned...
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

^ Puegeot also made motorcycles in pre WW2 days.

billy rubin

BSA stands for birminghan small arms. just sayin

whats going on in this stinking country? there should be no reason that a parent has to pick up his 10 year old child at school by identifying her by her shoes, because her head is blown apart.

this is insane.

i cant speak for these folks, but i would have recommended that every dead child have had an open coffin funeral, with press photographers in the front row.

it helped with emmitt till, and it would have helped with uvalde.

Icarus

And BSA made the Gold Star.

Asmodean

Yesterday, a guy went and shot up a bar in Oslo. Two people were killed and twenty-some injured, a lot of whom seriously.

Today, the media are half-heartedly pushing some sort of insanity narrative, while avoiding dropping the I-bomb (Naming Islam, for those who don't get it) like it was... Well, a bomb. Still, healthy people don't usually go kill a bunch of strangers, so there is that.

I could use this opportunity to rant about politics, the alphabet community or gun control, but then, when tragedy hits, it's not about my better tomorrow - it's about getting through a shitty today. As such, my thoughts and best wishes are with those affected.

https://www.euronews.com/2022/06/26/us-norway-shooting
Quote from: sourceOSLO -Terrified revellers at a gay bar in Oslo hid in a basement and desperately called loved ones as a gunman went on the rampage, killing two people and injuring 21 on the day the city was due to celebrate its annual Pride parade.

Authorities said the suspect, a 42-year-old Norwegian citizen of Iranian origin, was believed to be a radicalised Islamist with a history of mental illness who had been known to intelligence services since 2015.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

Yes, well, there was actually a point being made with the above being its own thread... But, to quote Kurt Cobain, "oh well, whatever, never mind."
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.