News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Flatland: A romance of many dimensions

Started by iplaw, July 28, 2006, 04:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iplaw

Here is one of my favorite novellas that discusses the limitations of being stuck in world with fixed dimensions.  I don't know how many have read this but I find it has valuable spiritual implications as well as interesting mathematical and geometrical truths.

Flatland by Edwin A. Abbott

Jassman

I've always wanted to read Flatland and had no idea it was freely available on the internet... I've read a lot of stuff that analyzes the concepts of "Flatland" in further detail though, so I think I already understand most of the things it describes. I will read it when I get some time though. I haven't had time for anything lately, this is probably my first post in 5 or 6 days... Work sucks. I'll be back in full force eventually. But for now, I'm going to bed...
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

iplaw

It's a fun read at least.  Once you're done check out the essay that I posted entitled "God, Flatland, and Euclid," it's a good read too.

Fourth Iteration

Flatland wigged me out at times. My Calculus teacher thought it was one of the greatest stories ever though.

Entertaining, intriguing, and a good larf; Fourth Iteration gives Flatland a 4 out of 5.
"Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear..." - Ian Malcolm

joeactor

Flatland - definitely a classic...

Thanks for the share,
  JoeActor