News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Not the first time I have heard this claim of innocence by a back yard breeder.  Most of them or at least many of them have damned little information or actual care for their  pups or the parent animals.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on November 28, 2020, 01:26:26 AM
Not the first time I have heard this claim of innocence by a back yard breeder.  Most of them or at least many of them have damned little information or actual care for their  pups or the parent animals.

Yes, according to ONG I adopted Joy from, she and her littermates weren't exactly well looked after, so much so that the puppy came to me malnourished and sick. Getting a sick puppy (from a rescue) was a real risk and one I was willing to take, I just wasn't aware of the extent of her illness before getting confirmation from the lab test results. I adore Joy but there's the emotional and financial drain distemper causes.

For now Joy is doing well. The vet came over and was even surprised at how active she is, so I'm going to take that as a possible sign the viral strain isn't as aggressive and even though Joy is still very young she might survive this. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 28, 2020, 06:58:25 PM

Yes, according to ONG I adopted Joy from, she and her littermates weren't exactly well looked after, so much so that the puppy came to me malnourished and sick. Getting a sick puppy (from a rescue) was a real risk and one I was willing to take, I just wasn't aware of the extent of her illness before getting confirmation from the lab test results. I adore Joy but there's the emotional and financial drain distemper causes.

For now Joy is doing well. The vet came over and was even surprised at how active she is, so I'm going to take that as a possible sign the viral strain isn't as aggressive and even though Joy is still very young she might survive this.

Good luck to you and your puppy.

I had a rescue puppy die from that, it was very sad. He was a small Australian mixed with a smaller unknown breed. He was active and happy, no issues at all until the signs that it reached his brain.

Weird how I went through pretty much the same thing with people I adopted him from. He was supposed to have had all his shots. I didn't even want a refund or anything, I just wanted to let them know since it is very infectious.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on December 02, 2020, 05:58:27 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 28, 2020, 06:58:25 PM

Good luck to you and your puppy.

I had a rescue puppy die from that, it was very sad. He was a small Australian mixed with a smaller unknown breed. He was active and happy, no issues at all until the signs that it reached his brain.

Weird how I went through pretty much the same thing with people I adopted him from. He was supposed to have had all his shots. I didn't even want a refund or anything, I just wanted to let them know since it is very infectious.

Thanks, so far she's been lucky as in it has been mild and mostly limited to her gastrointestinal tract (besides her sneezing fits and discharge from the eyes). But I read neurological symptoms can appear up to 3 months after infection, so I'm not celebrating yet. My worst fear is that it reaches her nervous system...not much can be done after that. 

Tomorrow I'm taking her to the vet to get some more blood tests done, and depending on the results we'll vaccinate her soon. 

I'm getting another puppy (German Shepherd, just like my last one) in February. This time from a breeder. It was born two days ago, and theoretically I'm picking him up when he's 60 days old, but since he'll have only two out of three shots by then and the virus can shed in the urine and faeces of previously infected dogs for up to 3 months I'm a really worried about bringing the new pup home. Last thing I want is to endanger him. I think I'm going to have to pay the breeder to keep him in his kennel until the pup's had all his shots before I bring him home.

(We really need a loads-of-money-is-being-spent emoji.  :-\

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Davin

xSilverPhinx

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 08, 2020, 05:07:20 PM
Quote from: Davin on December 08, 2020, 04:43:57 PM

Can we add this to the emoji zoo please? :grin:

Yes you can :)

EDIT: I thought you were an Admin already. Well you are now.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on December 09, 2020, 10:59:39 AM

I was demoted so you could ban me back when I couldn't control my impulses to constantly surf HAF. :P

I was able to add the emoji! :frolic:

:money:

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 09, 2020, 11:42:05 AM

I was demoted so you could ban me back when I couldn't control my impulses to constantly surf HAF. :P

How can you possibly constantly surf HAF?
The waves are so far apart.
Is it a waiting for a wave thing?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 09, 2020, 12:06:43 PM

How can you possibly constantly surf HAF?
The waves are so far apart.
Is it a waiting for a wave thing?

When waves are far apart and they finally come they are all the more exciting  ;D

No one

Honestly, the best surf and turf is baby mermaid and baby human. Especially if they've been feed strictly Unicorn milk.

Tank

Ahhh I hadn't gone quite as daffy as I thought I had.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on December 09, 2020, 04:25:13 PM

Ahhh I hadn't gone quite as daffy as I thought I had.

:grin: