News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Downtime

Started by Recusant, June 02, 2021, 08:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

We're back, but you will notice that posts from the last few days are missing. This is due to using a recent backup to get the forum back online. Apologies for the missing posts.  :-[
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

Sounds like the work of satan.

hermes2015

Quote from: No one on June 02, 2021, 09:55:12 AM

Why am I always blamed for everything?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

No one

Just because you're horny, doesn't mean you have horns.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 02, 2021, 11:09:15 AM
Quote from: No one on June 02, 2021, 09:55:12 AM

Why am I always blamed for everything?

I don't blame you, you're just at the top of the list of likely suspects.

It could have been me, I was posting at the time, it was a brilliant post too, I'm a bit hazy but I know it would solved everything, plastic in the sea, warming, schisms, everything.  I think maybe it was probably the doing of Big Psychiatry.

It could of been the equation [faults of Biden = faults of Trump] it could have acted like a divide by zero thing.

It could of been the stench particles coming off Billy after two weeks of trucking without a shower got into the HAF gizmatron, or one of his cats got in there and started a family.  Lucky we put in the fail-safe shutdown Bruno insisted on or it could have been the catz takeover that he and Nostradamus predicted that only now makes sense.

Anyway I'll continue to speculate and eventually settle on an explanation and then reinforce my view by selectively accepting stuff that supports it and rejecting stuff that doesn't.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: No one on June 02, 2021, 12:04:31 PM

He does though, very nice too, not gaudy, subtle yet substantial.

You'd know this if you'd spent your time as a statue beside his pool as you were honour bound to do but which obligation you slimely slimed out of.

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 02, 2021, 12:23:58 PM

You'd know this if you'd spent your time as a statue beside his pool as you were honour bound to do but which obligation you slimely slimed out of.

I think I like you.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 02, 2021, 01:26:05 PM

I think I like you.

Do you like you?

No one

I slimed out of nothing! I had to save the 8th dimension.

Statues cast from shame and misery never shimmer in the sun, no hero's welcome to stand among.

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 02, 2021, 02:47:33 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on June 02, 2021, 01:26:05 PM

I think I like you.

Do you like you?

Definitely not ewe.
― Charles Eames

viocjit

Quote from: Recusant on June 02, 2021, 08:43:12 AM
We're back, but you will notice that posts from the last few days are missing. This is due to using a recent backup to get the forum back online. Apologies for the missing posts.  :-[

As I'm interest about the way to manage website.
I have some questions to ask if you don't mind.

1.What is the size of a backup-file ?
2.What is the file format of a backup ?
3.Do you erase previous backupes when you get a new one ?

Recusant

Quote from: viocjit on June 02, 2021, 06:43:13 PM

Thank you for the excellent questions. They remind me of my intention to spend more time learning about how to operate the machinery behind this site. Regrettably, I have allowed other things to take precedence, so I can only claim to know some very basic things.

Backup file size depends on how much data is on the site, of course. It's possible to keep backup files on your computer without overloading your storage, as long as you don't keep too many of them.

File format is usually SQL though you will sometimes see GZIP.

As for erasing previous backups, I think that yes, generally historic backups are deleted but the admin may choose to save one occasionally.

As I say, I'm not the real tech admin here, I just help out when and where I can, being very careful not to make things worse, which is all too easy. The real maestro of tech here is Asmodean, and he's the one who rebooted the forum after this latest downtime. I might have managed it but it's better to defer to knowledge, in my opinion.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

All hail the Asmo !!!

billy rubin

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 02, 2021, 12:07:01 PM
It could of been the stench particles coming off Billy after two weeks of trucking without a shower got into the HAF gizmatron, or one of his cats got in there and started a family.

what???

i resemble that remark

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

viocjit

Quote from: Recusant on June 02, 2021, 10:08:18 PM
Quote from: viocjit on June 02, 2021, 06:43:13 PM

Thank you for the excellent questions. They remind me of my intention to spend more time learning about how to operate the machinery behind this site. Regrettably, I have allowed other things to take precedence, so I can only claim to know some very basic things.

Backup file size depends on how much data is on the site, of course. It's possible to keep backup files on your computer without overloading your storage, as long as you don't keep too many of them.

File format is usually SQL though you will sometimes see GZIP.

As for erasing previous backups, I think that yes, generally historic backups are deleted but the admin may choose to save one occasionally.

As I say, I'm not the real tech admin here, I just help out when and where I can, being very careful not to make things worse, which is all too easy. The real maestro of tech here is Asmodean, and he's the one who rebooted the forum after this latest downtime. I might have managed it but it's better to defer to knowledge, in my opinion.

I thank you because you did answered.