News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on October 27, 2019, 10:25:40 PM
That's astonishing musicianship. Not 100% convinced the piece fits too well with the harp. Worth listening to though.

I'm also not so sure about an organ piece played on the harp, but the harp can be an effective stand-in for the guitar. There is a harp transcription of Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez that works well. I'll search for it on YouTube when I have time later.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I found a performance of the Concierto de Aranjuez transcribed for harp:

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

We are getting quite classy here.  The harp is the instrument of angels it is said.

BR that is not the preferred Appalachian instrument or its music,  but I suspect that it can be done with a Harpsichord or zither or similar instrument.   Some of the back country musicians are quite talented and thoroughly capable. 

Icarus

At the moment I have an earworm......a tune that won't get out of my head.  It dates me for sure.  Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqmS29CXNZ8&list=RDMMjqmS29CXNZ8&start_radio=1

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 28, 2019, 03:03:49 AM
Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez

i heard that for the first time just the other day.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on October 29, 2019, 02:58:27 PM

I still prefer the original guitar version. You should listen to his other concertos as well; they are very tuneful.
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 29, 2019, 03:13:48 PM

I still prefer the original guitar version. You should listen to his other concertos as well; they are very tuneful.

that's the one i meant. driving a truck all day means i listen to a lot of radio (when i get bored listening to myself). in america there are several public stations that play classical music half the day. i got to listen to this driving down the ohio river racing the coal barges to the locks.

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on October 29, 2019, 03:20:58 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on October 29, 2019, 03:13:48 PM

that's the one i meant. driving a truck all day means i listen to a lot of radio (when i get bored listening to myself). in america there are several public stations that play classical music half the day. i got to listen to this driving down the ohio river racing the coal barges to the locks.

Then you will love his Concierto Andaluz for Four Guitars and Orchestra, because it is great music to keep you awake when driving.

― Charles Eames

billy rubin

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Siz

My new favourite Death Metal band - Gojira

I'm off to see Machine Head tomorrow with MiniSiz (who's not so Mini any more). So, one of my faves by them - not everyone's taste, of course, but here it is:

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Icarus

^ Yikes............Punk Rock always resembles a train wreck, with multiple fatalities, to me.  WTF?  Different strokes for different folks.

Siz

That wasn't Punk; that was Thrash/Death Metal.

This is Punk:

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Siz

Quote from: Icarus on November 01, 2019, 11:57:30 PM
^ Yikes............Punk Rock always resembles a train wreck, with multiple fatalities, to me.
I totally get that. I guess that's why it appeals. For me it's not necessarily about melodic merit, it's the aggression - a release. And if that can be married to good melody and/or musicianship then that's all to the good.
I do listen to other genres too, but I'm most moved by this is kind of noise.

I have to say that I think Machine Head have one of the best guitar sounds in the business. The perfect balance of distortion, gain and tone. Meaty and full.