News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Brahms - Variations on a Theme by Haydn

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 02, 2020, 03:34:42 AM

Oh, that is heaven! Two of my favourite people: Hilary Hahn with Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting.

well, she impressed the shit out of me. i'm listening to her again.

set the function, not the mechanism.

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on November 05, 2020, 12:16:51 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on November 02, 2020, 03:34:42 AM

Oh, that is heaven! Two of my favourite people: Hilary Hahn with Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting.

well, she impressed the shit out of me. i'm listening to her again.

She did a stellar Sibelius Violin Concerto, also with Salonen conducting the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra. I don't know whether it is on YouTube — will check later when I've woken up properly.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

glass again. i lived in arizona when this came out as a motion picture soundtrack and the audience was full of hopis. the emerging bats against the navajo sandstone was a surreal image, as was the frankly malevolent presentation of the lake downstream from glen canyon dam.

people in arizona have never forgotten what was flooded to make that lake.

i can't read music but i'm visual so the graphic presentation helps me understand the structure of what glass was doing. i saw the sheet music for stravinsky's rite of spring once, and even though i couldn't read it i could hear some of the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEWy2QORDV4

maybe some people think that glass is shallow, but his music has always struck a chord in me.

Tom62

And now... something completely different

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

billy rubin

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

it is catchy. i start head banging listening to her stuff.

i love her voice and compositions. the lyrics tend to be a bit trite, but im watching to see what she does musically as she matures.

listen to me, as if i knew jack shit. if i knew anything id be doing music myself.

billy rubin

in th emeantime glass has caught me again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcnz36jJ1xE

now i'm stuck for three hours.

this piece was written in 1976, for crying out loud. i was still going to marshall tucker concerts

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on November 07, 2020, 12:23:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHBxJCq99jA
I like it. I just listened to two other songs of The Pretty Reckless and listened to this one once more.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

i love this instrument.  i'm unfamiliar with kate stone, but that will change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRwIW0D02xw

i think there is a synergistic efect betwen artist and art on music, in that certain people are unavoidably drawn to certain forms of expression, and the intermingling between creativitiy and expression channels and changes them.

the various handpans are simply . . gentle. it's a form of music that consistently elicits a mental state that i would very much to cultivate.

she uses the lower surface of the instrument. elsewhere. i've never seen anybody do that.

hermes2015

I love listening to the Pan flute.

― Charles Eames

Tom62

Once again my favourite Swiss guys

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

No one