Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

this guy especially

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oremFnbgO0

currently i have front brakes on a 2002 ford, a radiator on a different 2002 ford, a misfire on the same vehicle, electronic issues on a 2007 chevrolet driveline, a radiator on a 2000 chrysler, a heater on a 1992 chrysler, miscellaneouds driveline issues on a 98 dakota, a bad heater on a 2000 taurus, and my wife's 1997? chrysler just broke a wishbone on the way to work.

i have a wife and five kids, all of whom have beater cars for me to maintain. how did i end up with this?

i actually  know the answer, im not really asking for insights

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV3ozZoQ13M

i lovejane's addiction/

this track in particular inspired an appropriate video. i race a 60 year oldmotorcycle at speeds 50 percent above what it was desined for. this video of this famous surfing run speaks to me very clearly-- you are only here briefly, and what you choose to define yourself as determiones what you do. is this clear? your own philosophy is primary, because the life you live follows from that

perhaps more succinctly? what you are is a consequence of what you choose to be.

choose, and live the choice..

Icarus

Billy you can come  pretty close to this instrument with part of a 55 gallon drum.  The Bahamians are most musical with their "steel drums".  Cut off about 10  inches more or less of the barrel.  Use your ball peen hammer to pound some deflections into several areas of the bottom part of the drum. Each of those indentations will produce a different sound frequency when struck with a mallet.  Steel drum orchestras indeed make some fine music.

billy rubin

shpoot dude i know youre right

but its all down to time these days.vrather than build one, i want to obrain one i can play today

im building too much other crap already

Anne D.

Anne D.

Another. Same song as last one, just a different name.

xSilverPhinx

Terrible movie, good soundtrack (IMO)  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgnpv2zCaLM

tomorrow the number one daughter comes into town with her boyfriend and ill teach her how to change out the radiator and hoses in her old ford pickup

billy rubin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBAZ1wztFsQ

it drives me nuts that these people want to make a video of beauty and art

i want to see their hands.

i do't care whether theyre doing it in south america or not

billy rubin

but having said that

i remember the brandenburg gate, from back when the wall was real and bricked, and checkpoint charlie was the only way across.

i was there, and i crossed it.

i remember working elephants on the highways in sri lanka. and landing in arusha on the grass runways in the DC3

and in guatamala, and nevada, too

the gun emplacements in singapore, the ones that faced the wrong way

corregidor and changi. scenes of brutality. i saw ithem, after

and the tide pools in the south china sea, with the cucumbers and the lava flows

the fishermen in the evenings, casting their nets from their outriggers. or selling the giant clams or the swordfish spears in front of the cafes

sometimes i wonder whether i am stranded in a world that exists only in my memory or whether my memory even exists at all

or whether the current world is a really composite of past and present.

i don't know anymore, and i don't know whether it is important or not.

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on December 16, 2020, 05:11:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBAZ1wztFsQ

it drives me nuts that these people want to make a video of beauty and art

i want to see their hands.

i do't care whether theyre doing it in south america or not
That was quite beautiful. I've never seen an instrument like that. I mean, I've seen steel drums before but nothing like this. It's amazing that something that looks so simple can produce music like that.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

i think th efirst ones were the hang drums from around 2000? the original maker has stopped producing them. since then there are other makers like opsilon. th ehangs and opsilons run about US$2000-plus, but you can buy studnt instruments for around three or four hundred dollars

the musicians make it look easy, but if you watch their hands it's quite apparent that the sound is from the talent. some basic patterns are just left-right-left-right, but even when that's whats happening is more complex.

watch kate stone when she plays a basic rhythm with one hand and then inserts a melody with the other..she switches rhythm-melody between hands whenever she needs to reach around the instrument for a different note. you can produce chords by striking pairs of tonal parts, or even make sinusoidal tones by rubbing the drum like when you rub your fingertip around the wet rim of a wine glass.

that salt flat in the last video is in bolivia. the high elevation salt flats there are used for land speed racing, if you have the money to play in that league. ralph hudson took a turbocharged 600 cc machine to over 300mph up there. 12,000 feet, so if you cant run boost, youre wasting your time.

Randy

She makes it look simple like she barely has to touch the indentions in it. She's quite talented.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin