News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

i have bought one hudred 690 ohm electronic resitors, at US$6.99.

plus another hundred 470 ohm resitors at the same price, to xperiment with

free shipping

we will see what i can do with a 30-year old electronic motorcycle ignition

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Randy

"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

No one

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Randy

"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

gah

i hate that stuff.

im one of those people who cant talk when i smoke dope and just sit like a moron.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on April 01, 2021, 12:19:19 AM
gah

i hate that stuff.

im one of those people who cant talk when i smoke dope and just sit like a moron.

That happens to me sometimes. I think that has happened to me maybe twice.  I can't talk and I just sit there like a scared moron. I believe that happens when the weed is rrrrrreally good. We say, "The weed scolded you, didn't it!?...You're sitting there quietly like a good little boy/girl."  :lol:

billy rubin

well it was always the case when i was a kid smoking local ganja in kuala lumpur. yhe pld maijuana paranoia syndrome. but that stuff was so strong that the first time i tried it i thought it was an acid flashback. i couldnt deal with it and decided to just stay away

i love the vegerable alkaloids, tho, and smoked my weight in the chinese opium dens, but i stay away from it now. i get drug tested all the time as a professional driver

but if i wasnt id be growing poppies probably

Icarus

My latest purchase was a lawn edger machine.  Its' purpose is to destroy grass or weed in a controlled manner..  Ahhh spring is here and I am forced to take care of my pitiful lawn.

We Americans are out of our damned minds with our compulsion, nay obligation, to cultivate lush greenery in our yards. With the required irrigation that wastes our most precious resource;water, and the damage to the ecology of the fertilizers and other chemicals, and the necessity to mow and trim and pamper the useless stuff, we are out of our minds.

A hundred bucks down the drain to buy a little machine that trims the edges of the lawn so neatly. ....Did I mention that to use such an infernal machine usually involves perspiration.

Dark Lightning

A small plank of ribbon sapele. The guy is 86 or so and his legs are getting bad, so he's selling off his wood and tools. Most of his wood is from a flooring contractor and it would be more work than I want to do to get the grooves out of it. Got it for $4. At the wood boutique it would be $36. Not flooring.

Icarus- during the California drought, we were "ordered" to cut our water usage 20%. The water company used the threat of higher rates if we didn't. The only way we could do that was to quasi-xeriscape the front yard. That was years ago, and the rates went up anyway, since they have the same infrastructure and number of employees with less water usage. Didn't see that coming.  ::)

billy rubin

my wife's ex mother in law was told by the city of chicago to take better care of the grass between the sidewalk and the street or they would do it themselves and charge her for it.

so she dug it out and poured concrete instead.

they were horrified but had to leave her alo5ne after that.

Dark Lightning

Our city requires (since 2005, anyway) that the parkway not be paved over, so that underground utilities are accessible. Phone and TV both run there, and natural gas lines cross it. We put in a bed of gravel and laid flagstone in sections where we get in or out of the car(s). The rest is a rockpile to keep people from trampling through the gravel and spreading it all over.

Icarus

I bought a Black and Decker corded electric edger at Home Depot.  It is nicely boxed and all the parts re there.  The handle, with the switch, is at the end of a three piece tubing assembly.  Very tidy and sensible design. The wires from the switch run through the threes tubes ...they ar e 18 gauge wires.  Well WTF the damned wires were too long and the three tubes could not be made to join as the design would have planned   The freakin wire was too long and would not allow the tubes to be joined. ...................................Well ain't that a bitch?   After more than a few minutes of thoght which included reading a rereading of the instructions I knew what I had to do.

I had to take the whole damned thing apart to get to the ends of the wires that were inside the motor housing. The omly place to shorten the wires were at ends.   Well that turned out to be another Pain.  There are six screws that hold the motor cover in place.  The screws are oddballs.  They have a very narrow flat slot for a screwdriver and also a hexagon cavity to accept a 0.125 Allen wrench..  Forget the Allen wrench,  YeP I have such things along with the near to one eighth, 3 mm Allens.   The actual cavity measured exactly 0.125 and when ried to turn with the perfect sized wrench the damned screw would round itself over so that the wrench was then worthless.

I had to grind and carefully file a screwdriver to fit perfectly in the slot of the screws. About two hours later and a few conversations with God, who will not like my tone of voice, I got into the guts of the thing and shortened the wires as needed.  I had to remove 8 inches of wire to make the thing work.........And a good time was had by all. >:( ::) :'(

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on April 02, 2021, 12:37:38 AM
well it was always the case when i was a kid smoking local ganja in kuala lumpur. yhe pld maijuana paranoia syndrome. but that stuff was so strong that the first time i tried it i thought it was an acid flashback. ...

Local ganja from Kuala Lumpur...Sounds...wow!