News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 21, 2020, 09:10:27 PM
Along with my mother:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Mazel tov! Are my priorities wrong not ask about the engine, but to notice that the red looks close to the PR254 (pigment red 254) I use a lot when I paint?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

Built me a new PC. Not the last thing I bought, technically, but the last sort-of major-ish investment. Now, I has LEDs in my fans like any self-respecting fourteen year old.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 22, 2020, 04:23:52 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 21, 2020, 09:10:27 PM
Along with my mother:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Mazel tov! Are my priorities wrong not ask about the engine, but to notice that the red looks close to the PR254 (pigment red 254) I use a lot when I paint?

I don't know about the engine, but I did notice the nice shade of red (whatever it's called :P )

All I know is I will be borrowing it on occasion.  ;D It belongs to my mother, I just helped a little with the down payment. I hope she'll remember that, heh!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bad Penny II

I longer leaner better fitting boat with skeg instead of rudder, a bargain but waiting on a new hatch cover.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 27, 2020, 08:47:28 AM

I longer leaner better fitting boat with skeg instead of rudder, a bargain but waiting on a new hatch cover.

You should make a neoprene one which fits over the dogs head!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on October 27, 2020, 09:29:43 AM

I should have got a dog life jacket, they've got a handle so you can grab 'em as they float past.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Icarus

Last thing I bought was a scam.  I succumbed to an ad for a computer clean up deal from Avast.  OK 20 dollars is alright if the cleaner upper does as promised.  After giving them my credit card information. I had to wait for an authorization number.  Soon, I learned that Avast uses an outfit called River Digital of Ireland Ltd. to process the transaction.  Two days later I found that River Digital had billed my credit card for $60 not $20.

After a bit of searching it became clear that River Digital does this stunt regularly.  Now I have to go through all sorts of aggravation to contact my credit card company to cancel the whole transaction. It turns out that the twenty dollar part only paid for a Driver update feature. Bullshit!  I can get the driver updates for free from sources such as Canon whose printer I am using.

billy rubin

damn

i have avast too.

the thing that i have noticed most is that after buying an avast premium protection program, all i hear from them is promotions for things that they dont protect me from.

popups all the time about how im at risk from something or other.

what am i paying them for?

i may drop them after this story, icarus.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

I use the free edition of Avast and I'm happy with it, so thanks for the warnings about upgrading to the paid version.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

I bought a replacement kitchen faucet for the rental house, but the plumbers who did the work before put in some odd length pipe nipples, and I was unable to install the new faucet without breaking into the outside stucco to change out the pipes.  :( I tried to find a similar faucet, but they went extinct in '09. Next, I'll make a "dry" run on replacing the innards of the valve on my home sink faucet, which one has to carefully position to stop from running. Then, I'll do the rental unit's faucet. It's a small drip (in both cases) at the moment. I seem to recall that plumbing was easier and lasted longer than what I'm seeing these days.  :???:

Icarus

Plumbing an old system is problematic.  Newer plumbing parts are too often inferior Chinese stuff.  Be that what it may,  there are some super good new materials and methods that make our lives easier.   

The hot ticket these days is to use piping called Pex.  It is some sort of plastic that withstands heat, cold, hell fire and hurricanes.  It has non threaded connections that do not fail, does not corrode, and moves water as well or better than the old time metal pipes.  We use cheap PVC, not the same as Pex,  for irrigation and other non critical applications.  Pex is a forever pipe......at least according to plumbers.

I got into this information recently when I wisely (and desperately) hired a plumber to install a new shower/tub valve.  It cost a damned fortune to do that but the result is gratifying.  That plumber used all sorts of new fangled materials. In the process I had to chop out a good sized chunk of wall board so that the old plumbing parts were accessable.........Then I had to reinvent myself to replace the sheetrock panel that had been removed. Not too difficult but messy.   

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on October 28, 2020, 11:36:45 PM
Plumbing an old system is problematic.  Newer plumbing parts are too often inferior Chinese stuff.  Be that what it may,  there are some super good new materials and methods that make our lives easier.   

The hot ticket these days is to use piping called Pex.  It is some sort of plastic that withstands heat, cold, hell fire and hurricanes.  It has non threaded connections that do not fail, does not corrode, and moves water as well or better than the old time metal pipes.  We use cheap PVC, not the same as Pex,  for irrigation and other non critical applications.  Pex is a forever pipe......at least according to plumbers.

I got into this information recently when I wisely (and desperately) hired a plumber to install a new shower/tub valve.  It cost a damned fortune to do that but the result is gratifying.  That plumber used all sorts of new fangled materials. In the process I had to chop out a good sized chunk of wall board so that the old plumbing parts were accessable.........Then I had to reinvent myself to replace the sheetrock panel that had been removed. Not too difficult but messy.

What we're learning about PEX tubing-

1. Exposure to chlorine in the water, and to petroleum products causes it to deteriorate.
2. California has banned PEX because it leaches potentially carcinogenic chemicals into the drinking water.
3. It is not as leak-resistant as metal piping. When it leaks, the consumer eats the replacement cost.

I will never use anything but copper for any plumbing I ever install, and any plumber that ends up doing my plumbing because I no longer can will be using copper. Copper even has issues in some chemistries. I will not use galvanized pipe, either. I've seen that shit accumulate deposits inside until there was maybe a 1/8" "hole" for the water to get through.

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 27, 2020, 10:02:51 AM
Quote from: Tank on October 27, 2020, 09:29:43 AM

I should have got a dog life jacket, they've got a handle so you can grab 'em as they float past.

That's very sensible. And totally cute  :puppysnicker:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Magnets and a book 'The little book of humanism'. They are not directly related.