News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Handles for a chest I'm building. Polished nickel. I may even have the chest built by the time the handles appear in my mail box. We'll see if they are really nickel. The other hardware I bought is. For the record, (reasonably) pure nickel is ferromagnetic and is readily picked up by a magnet. US coin nickels are a copper-nickel (75% Cu-25% Ni) alloy and are not ferromagnetic.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on January 05, 2020, 11:08:31 PM
today, i just bought something for $19.20 from SF PARTY CENTE, according to my bank statement.

although i drove a truck all day and only used my card to buy coffee, twice.

tomorrow i'm gong to call my bank and see if they can explain how i did that.

That is why I obsessively check my bank statement. Sometimes they conjure stuff up out of nothing, as if they suddenly decided to gift some establishment some of my money. ::)

My card was cloned once, though thankfully nothing in my bank account was taken (not that I had much anyway). They just used my account to transfer money between other accounts. I saw the transactions in the statement and blocked the card. Good thing such things are really easy these days...with the bank app you install on your phone there's no need to ring them up or actually go to the bank.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

Quote from: billy rubin on January 05, 2020, 11:08:31 PM
today, i just bought something for $19.20 from SF PARTY CENTE, according to my bank statement.

although i drove a truck all day and only used my card to buy coffee, twice.

tomorrow i'm gong to call my bank and see if they can explain how i did that.

Once the charge posts to your account, you can dispute the transaction. I do at least fifteen a day at work. Also, using a credit card is more secure because if it gets compromised, then whoever did it has no access to your actual bank account.

At least, that's how it works in the States.

Stuff like that is why I have text alerts any time any of my cards are used  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dark Lightning

We're fortunate that the Visa card we have has people who call when an odd transaction occurs. My wife got a call last year when we were out of town for the weekend. Someone had used her card number (typed it in on some system) but the card was not present. It was in Lodi, California. We've never been to Lodi, and were hundreds of miles away when that transaction occurred. They cancelled that card and sent her a new one to the hotel we were at by FEDEX. Whatever establishment took that number as good at the transaction is out that amount. IIRC, it was around $200.

billy rubin

got it cleared up. a regular vendor hadbeen bought out and the bank designation had changed, but not the nameof the business.

i once had $400 charged to a vendorin singapore.

haventbee n to singaporesince lee kuan yew stepped off the communist tiger. that one was easy to fix.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Buddy

My purchases keep getting weirder. I bought a life sized chocolate penis in a nice Christmas box to be sent to my boss for our secret Santa.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

No one

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Buddy on January 07, 2020, 10:50:35 PM
My purchases keep getting weirder. I bought a life sized chocolate penis in a nice Christmas box to be sent to my boss for our secret Santa.

:lol I'm assuming it was an anonymous gift.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 07, 2020, 10:58:48 PM
Quote from: Buddy on January 07, 2020, 10:50:35 PM

:lol I'm assuming it was an anonymous gift.

Yes and no. We all get together as a branch and give her a gift every year since she's the best boss ever. We just decided that I would be the one to order it. We also got her a Starbucks gift card so it's not all chocolate johnsons

billy rubin

a stinking 36-inch pipe wrench. humongously expensive.

didn't want to buy this pig, but i cannot get the thermostatic fan clutch off the front of the motor in my daughters pickup. too manyy ears of west virginia rust have sealed it on. on a last ditch try, i bought this to hold the pulley in place while i heaved on the ancient wagon wrench i use to spin the clutch off.

didn't work, and now i have a scuffed up wrench that will not wear out before my grandkids are old. on the other hand, now i have something to use to get the ball hitches off the backs of the trucks, instead of an 18-inch wrench nd a five-foot piece of pipe.

so all is well i suppose.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Bad Penny II

SD, Micro SD cards and thumb drives have gotten a lost cheaper lately.
First I got about 5 USB2 16GB thumbs 'cause they were A$2 each.
Then I got a couple of 100MB/s micro SD cards with SD adaptors for about A$10
And then I got a couple of USB3 32GB thumbs
And then things got even cheaper and got a few more cards
and four or five really compact 64GB USB3 thumbs for A$5 each
I think I've got enough for now.
Do you think you may be displaying compulsive tendencies?
No and it's the free Ebay deliveries fault anyway.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on January 08, 2020, 11:34:39 PM

didn't want to buy this pig, but i cannot get the thermostatic fan clutch off the front of the motor in my daughters pickup. too manyy ears of west virginia rust have sealed it on. on a last ditch try, i bought this to hold the pulley in place while i heaved on the ancient wagon wrench i use to spin the clutch off.

didn't work, and now i have a scuffed up wrench that will not wear out before my grandkids are old. on the other hand, now i have something to use to get the ball hitches off the backs of the trucks, instead of an 18-inch wrench nd a five-foot piece of pipe.

You can rent a wrench made specifically for fan clutches at many auto parts stores. Take the thing back and say it didn't work. That might work. The store my son works at (a LOWES) took back a crepe myrtle tree yesterday because, get this- "The leaves fell off". It's January, FFS, that's what leaves do!

I managed NOT to have to drive 74 miles round trip to get a 5/32" radius round over router bit to ease the edges of a chest I'm building. I cheated and adjusted a 5/32" radius Roman Ogee bit to do the deed. Saved $28 in tools, $10 in fuel and 2 hours of my life...which I then spent sanding for the finish. My favorite part of wood working- sanding. :rolleyes:

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Bad Penny II on January 09, 2020, 12:42:03 AM
SD, Micro SD cards and thumb drives have gotten a lost cheaper lately.
First I got about 5 USB2 16GB thumbs 'cause they were A$2 each.
Then I got a couple of 100MB/s micro SD cards with SD adaptors for about A$10
And then I got a couple of USB3 32GB thumbs
And then things got even cheaper and got a few more cards
and four or five really compact 64GB USB3 thumbs for A$5 each
I think I've got enough for now.
Do you think you may be displaying compulsive tendencies?
No and it's the free Ebay deliveries fault anyway.

I bought a thumb memory, must have been not long after they came out. I think it was a couple of gigs and I think paid $75 for it.  :-[ I also remember back in the mid-90s when there was a fire in Japan at a foundry that made RAM, and it went to $100 a Meg. One program a guy was working on was going to require another 50 Megs of RAM in order to run. He couldn't get the money out of our bean counters. Quelle surprise. He was fortunate that he got access to a mainframe to do the calculations.

billy rubin

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 09, 2020, 01:06:30 AM

You can rent a wrench made specifically for fan clutches at many auto parts stores. Take the thing back and say it didn't work. That might work. The store my son works at (a LOWES) took back a crepe myrtle tree yesterday because, get this- "The leaves fell off". It's January, FFS, that's what leaves do!

i looked them over, but all the ones they had were shorter than the ones i already had that weren't long enough. i was looking for an ttachment for my air chisel, but all they had were stamped steel things with a square drive hole.

i'll look over the pipe wrench tomorrow.

i ended up bracing the bent fan and bending it back into shape. hate to do that, because the sucker spins at crankshaft rpm, but until i have an alternative its all i can come up with.

jumbojak

Quote from: billy rubin on January 08, 2020, 11:34:39 PM

They are humungously expensive, especially with aluminum handles. Why didn't you go for cast iron? If you ever put a cheater on that one you will bend it into a pretzel.

I keep pairs on hand from 8" to 24" with a single 36" remaining. We broke mate of the 36". That was a wild day.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz