News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

A Game of Thrones (Full of spoilers!)

Started by Sandra Craft, May 28, 2012, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

Quote from: Asmodean on June 22, 2016, 09:15:08 AM
Speaking of, whatever happened to that kid..? The... You know... What the hell was he again?

... >:(

... ...

...Joe Dempsie.  >:(

Gendry. No, I didn't remember that actor's name, had to look it up. Davos freed him from Melisandre and he was taking a rowboat to King's Landing when we last saw him.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Asmodean

Know him from an ancient season of Skins. But yes, that's the one. He's a Baratheon bastard, no?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Firebird

Yes,  he's the one Ned found and Melisandre later used for one of her spells. So he certainly could be a factor later.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tom62

I find this thread fascinating, because I'm probably the only person on HAF who doesn't watch "Game of Thrones" and hasn't got a clue what you all are talking about.   
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tom62 on June 23, 2016, 05:39:41 AM
I find this thread fascinating, because I'm probably the only person on HAF who doesn't watch "Game of Thrones" and hasn't got a clue what you all are talking about.

Before I started watching "The Walking Dead", I used to watch "The Talking Dead" for the same reason.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Pasta Chick on June 22, 2016, 01:33:57 PM
I am so bored with Ramsey's demise. I mean, really? He's supposed to be some sort of brilliant, manipulative psychopath. He's inexperienced and it would make sense for that to get him eventually, but all this build up and oops he fucked up and is dead after one battle? So anti-climactic.

I think that was tying in with Roose Bolton's near final words to his son that if he acted like a wild dog, he'd be treated like one.  Maybe they wanted that forewarning to come true while it was still fresh.

QuoteBest part of the episode was Yarra hitting on Daneries.

That was second best for me (it was greatly enlivened by Dany looking intrigued), my best part was Grey Worm killing the two Masters with one knife stroke.  I'm not usually big on violence, but I can't count how many times I've rewound that scene.
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Here's something I thought interesting for the thread:  Game of Thrones: Books vs. Show, Pt. 1.  Hoping I catch part 2 when it shows up.

By the way, I took the "Which GoT Character Are You?" quiz on the side and got Tyrion without even cheating!
Sandy

Asmodean

Ooh! A quiz, you say..?

The following question seriously suffers from no "Nothing. Their problem, not mine" option:
Quote from: Quiz
5. Word gets out that a loved one is in trouble with the law. What do you do?

Also,
You Got: Tyrion Lannister
Which... Yes, on a good day. My personality spans, in Game of Thrones terms, from Ramsay to Stark Sr. so I guess The Dwarf™ is not too bad a compromise.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on June 23, 2016, 09:12:21 AM
Ooh! A quiz, you say..?

The following question seriously suffers from no "Nothing. Their problem, not mine" option:
5. Word gets out that a loved one is in trouble with the law. What do you do?

We work with what we get.  My response to that one would be "find out if they did it or not, and then decide", but they didn't have anything like that either.

Sandy

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tom62 on June 23, 2016, 05:39:41 AM
...I'm probably the only person on HAF who doesn't watch "Game of Thrones"...

:scratch:

How is this even possible?  :P

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

You know, I didn't start watching it until a year or three after the release, nor was I tempted to, but then I decided to make myself relatable to humans and then there was... Well, The Dwarf™ for starters. So it is possible not to watch.

There are still things about A Game of Thrones which I greatly dislike, but it's entertaining.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on June 23, 2016, 09:53:06 PM
You know, I didn't start watching it until a year or three after the release, nor was I tempted to, but then I decided to make myself relatable to humans and then there was... Well, The Dwarf™ for starters. So it is possible not to watch.

There are still things about A Game of Thrones which I greatly dislike, but it's entertaining.

I was joking, I know a lot of people who don't watch GoT for a variety of reasons. ;)

They're otherworldly creatures to me but I'm aware that they do exist.  :P

Sandra Craft

Here's something interesting, particularly if you like listening to nerds talking (and they mention the FSM!): 

I seriously want to run barefoot thru that guy's library.
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

Ok, I couldn't understand half of what they're saying (because of their accents, it would take a while to get used to), but wouldn't any adaptation of a book to film be dumbing it down in a sense?   :query:

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 24, 2016, 12:40:17 AM
Ok, I couldn't understand half of what they're saying (because of their accents, it would take a while to get used to), but wouldn't any adaptation of a book to film be dumbing it down in a sense?   :query:

I don't think that's necessarily so, altho obviously changes and cuts are inevitable.  And in some cases (cough::Jaws::cough) the movie is actually a smartening up of the book.  I think the two nerds problem was that the choices being made lately in adapting it to TV are sucking up to the lowest common denominator without improving the story.  I don't know that I'd agree it's just lately, tho I can't really say since I haven't read the books and just go on what book readers tell me.
Sandy