News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

A Game of Thrones (Full of spoilers!)

Started by Sandra Craft, May 28, 2012, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Random thoughts on episode 6.2:

*I knew the three-eyed raven looked familiar, but didn't realize till this epi that it was Max von Sydow.  Nice going, GoT.  Interesting tidbit of information that one can not only warg into things but thru time as well.  Or at least Bran and the Raven can.  Also interesting to find that Hodor's name is Willis -- I hope they tell us someday what made him go all 'hodor'.

*I have to admit it, I feel cheated out of that fight between Ser Davos and Ser Allister that I was so looking forward to.  By the way, since most of the Watch have been dismissed from service and sent South, does that mean that the Wildlings are now guarding the Wall?  Not that I don't think they'll do a good job of it -- they've got as much reason as anyone to keep the White Walkers out -- it just seems extremely weird, even to me.

*Not sure why Tommen can't just order the Faithful tossed out, isn't he in charge of the guards?  And the Faithful don't seem to be all that popular with the citizens, so I can't imagine there'd be any uprising on their behalf.

*Don't at all care for Tommen asking Cersai for advice.  That's like asking for directions from someone called Wrong Way McCoy.

*Ah, Tyrion and the dragons!  That was my favorite scene and had my favorite line, "If I ever get another idea like this, punch me in the face".  I guess he's trying to establish himself as the dragons uncle and win their loyalty -- I hope he's better than Dany at keeping them from frying and eating livestock and people.  (btw, has anybody else heard about a theory, apparently getting quite popular, that Tyrion really is a bastard and that his father was a Targaryn?  I think this is a fun idea.)

*Everyone saw the end of Roose Bolton and his second family coming -- even me, and I hardly ever see anything coming.  Not at all sorry for Roose, that's what you get when you nurse a viper in your bosom.  Sad for Walda and the baby tho.  That poor woman just had no luck at all with her relatives, either by blood or marriage.

*Can't understand why Theon wants to go home -- I can see why he wouldn't want to hang around Winterfell or meet up with Jon Snow, but the Iron Islands don't seem any more appealing.  If I were him, I'd try to find some sort of monastery to take me in and spend the rest of my life repenting and lying low.  I just have a bad feeling he's going to end up chained to Ramsey again.

*Speaking of the Iron Islands, that uncle of Theon and Yarra's sounds deeply unstable.  Not that anyone is going to miss Old Man Greyjoy, what a miserable pain in the ass he was.  And what's this business of Yarra having to compete for leadership of the Iron Islands?  That doesn't seem to be the usual thing, but I couldn't make out what the sea priest was saying about it.

*So Mel did bring Jon back to life after all.  As soon as she finds out about it her crises of faith will be over and there'll be no shutting her up.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Pasta Chick

I think part of the deal with dragons is that they do fry poor farm boys and such. Yet having them will go a long way toward holding power. Which puts Dany, who wants to be benevolent and beloved, in quite a situation. That's been one of the more interesting story points to me, and I'm hoping they go somewhere with it.

Not crazy about her being lost with the Dothraki. Just seems slow and unnecessary.

I am annoyed by how predictable that episode was.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Pasta Chick on May 03, 2016, 03:37:27 PM

I am annoyed by how predictable that episode was.

I'm still surprised at how many people they got rid of this episode -- either killed off or run off.  I wonder if this happened in the books too, or if it's all D&D?  I know they're supposed to be taking over the story entirely soon since they're running out of book, and this felt like somebody making a clean sweep of things.

Quote from: Crow on May 02, 2016, 10:09:43 PM
Just hurry up and kill all the religious twats, want to see that big fella fuck them all up. That is all I want from the series at the moment.

I don't understand how they can possibly have so much power -- doesn't make sense to me.
Sandy

Crow

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 03, 2016, 03:23:40 PM
Interesting tidbit of information that one can not only warg into things but thru time as well.  Or at least Bran and the Raven can.

The next episode looks to cover a fan theory about Jon Snow going from the preview. So we might find out who his father actually is because of Bran.

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 03, 2016, 03:51:45 PM
I don't understand how they can possibly have so much power -- doesn't make sense to me.

It is something that is really well covered in the books because you get it from two different perspectives. Essentially they existed a long time ago and were hunted down due to the trying to overthrow the king of the time, because they see only their gods as the rulers and thus no need for kings if they exist and are a militant force. Because Cersei is an idiot – yes she is suppose to be stupid – agrees with the Septon to put them back into action as she owes them money and thinks she could use them as her personal army and can be manipulated. But a lot of knights who are fanatics flock to them and they arm the people and give them a sense of power they arrest margery see through her games and arrest her as well. (Slightly different to the show but the structure of them appears to be pretty much the same).

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 03, 2016, 03:23:40 PM
*Speaking of the Iron Islands, that uncle of Theon and Yarra's sounds deeply unstable.  Not that anyone is going to miss Old Man Greyjoy, what a miserable pain in the ass he was.  And what's this business of Yarra having to compete for leadership of the Iron Islands?  That doesn't seem to be the usual thing, but I couldn't make out what the sea priest was saying about it.

Oh Aeron is well off his head, like pretty much all the religious people in the show. The Iron Islanders have a sort of democratic process called the kingsmoot where they have to persuade the majority to side with them. Here is a link to the information of Crow's eye that wil lead you onto all the details of all the little details that would obviously have to be glossed over for time.
Retired member.

Pasta Chick

Sandra Craft

Random thoughts yada yada:

*First and foremost, hooray for the return of Diana Rigg!  Hope she sticks around a long while.  And cuts Cersai's legs out from under her while she's at it.

*I knew there'd be no stopping the Red Witch once she got her confidence back.  Jon said he saw and felt nothing after dying, and she's still rattling on about the Lord of Light and her prophecies.  At least she's much prettier than Ken Hamm.

*Poor Sam should really lie down and close his eyes, that's best for seasickness.  At least, it's best for dizziness and I assume it'd work for seasickness as well.  I'm glad Sam is fulfilling his dream of being a maester, but can maesters marry?  I can't remember if I've seen this on the show.  It'd be nice if Sam could marry Gilly, but in any case I suppose he can have her around after he graduates or whatever, marry her secretly as Catholic priests sometimes do.

*I remain convinced that the screaming young woman Ned heard after killing Ser Whoever was Lianne giving birth to Jon Snow, and that she was not kidnapped but ran away with Raeger (?) willingly rather than be married to Robert Barathenan.  My fingers are crossed that we'll find out for sure next week.

*Still, that fight was a nasty bit of disillusion for Bran, his first realization that Ned had clay feet like everyone else. 

*And a little surprised to see that the Dothraki warriors are still being assholes to Dany after finding out who she is.  Interesting that it's the former khalessis that control their society from the seclusion of the Big Hut.  Seems a miserable life to me, nevertheless.

*Varys' birds are kids, which seems a very iffy proposition even it does have literary precedent (I thought immediately of the Baker St. irregulars). 

*They gave up the Ser Robert Strong pretense very quickly.  What was the point of calling him that in the first place?

*And Cersai continues her reign of ego-driven foolishness.  So tired of her crap.  To the book readers: does Jaime ever speak up or try to sort her out rather than just going along with it?

*Tommen really is the bending reed, isn't he?  Can't decide whether it's because he's still just a kid, or if this is his basic nature.  Please let Margeary get out of jail soon and take over being the last person he talks to in any situation.

*OK, so Jaquen and the Waif aren't the same person -- unless Jaquen can be two people at once and at this point I wouldn't put it past him.  And what was the business with Arya, the bowls and the pitchers?

*Is Umber loyal to the Starks or not?  He's not kow-towing to Ramsey, but he's giving him Rickon and the Wildling.  And poor Shaggy Dog.  So confused.  Still, he had my favorite line of the episode: "Your father was a cunt".

*I have to admit that I feel sorry for Olly as well -- he's the only one whose motives I can sympathize with at all.

*So Edd is now Lord Commander of the Watch?  Without even asking if he wants that job, and I'm not sure he does. 

*Assuming Jon is heading back to Winterfell, while Sansa et al is heading toward the Wall and Bran is . . . where again?  I know he's under a tree but is he north or south of the Wall?  I can't remember.  This sounds like a lot of unnecessary confusion.  And how much does Jon know about what's going on with the war and everyones relationships?  I'm assuming he knows Sansa didn't marry Joffrey, but does he know she was briefly married to Tyrion, then to Ramsey and is now wandering around?  How much information do those crows carry here and there?  What I'm hoping happens is that Jon meets Sansa on the road and they whip together a resistance to the Bolton forces.

Sandy

Crow

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 10, 2016, 08:00:17 AM
*And Cersai continues her reign of ego-driven foolishness.  So tired of her crap.  To the book readers: does Jaime ever speak up or try to sort her out rather than just going along with it?

The whole Jamie, Cersai, Brienne, Stanis, Sansa stuff is totally different in the books. Jamie sacked Cersai off ages ago and went chasing after Brienne. There are quite a lot of characters that don't exist in the TV series so bits are significantly different.
Retired member.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Crow on May 10, 2016, 08:30:31 AM

The whole Jamie, Cersai, Brienne, Stanis, Sansa stuff is totally different in the books. Jamie sacked Cersai off ages ago and went chasing after Brienne. There are quite a lot of characters that don't exist in the TV series so bits are significantly different.

Interesting.  I hope D&D eventually pick that up.
Sandy

Crow

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 10, 2016, 10:23:51 AM
Interesting.  I hope D&D eventually pick that up.

Could be tricky, when I say it is different I mean it is really damn different.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Was anyone else slightly pissed that they brought Jon back from the dead?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

*I remain convinced that the screaming young woman Ned heard after killing Ser Whoever was Lianne giving birth to Jon Snow, and that she was not kidnapped but ran away with Raeger (?) willingly rather than be married to Robert Barathenan.  My fingers are crossed that we'll find out for sure next week.

Yes, as far as I remember in the books it is Ned's sister lying in a pool of blood, though I don't think the book mentions that it is due to childbirth - most probably it is though (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm hoping Jon goes from knowing nothing to learning something about his lineage this season.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 10, 2016, 11:27:33 PM
Was anyone else slightly pissed that they brought Jon back from the dead?

I was against it, but by the time they actually did it I was so used to the idea that it would happen that I didn't care anymore.  They wore me down.
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

This last episode should be named "Déjà vu" I get the feeling I've seen that ending before...  :thoughtful:

Pasta Chick

Yeah, I'm actually quickly reaching a point where I don't give a damn anymore. There are too many story lines going on at once, too little time to devote to each of them. It's becoming teadous to watch.

Might work if it were on twice a week, but I feel like we're going to get to the end of the season with no real advancement in the plot overall.

xSilverPhinx

George Martin mentioned that he wants to write seven books, so there's still quite some "sausage filling" to go on before something comes to its conclusion. So far it's been plenty of filling and not much meat, especially where the Daenerys storyline is concerned.  ::)

I think the only true and relevant plot advancement in all these 6 seasons so far is that the Baratheons were annihilated (Gendry, Robert's bastard son, is supposedly alive but has disappeared from the show and there's nothing to indicate that he'll be showing up again).