News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

I'm parts Cherokee and Seminole. I've never visited a reservation however. I'm mostly English and Irish. But there is enough Native American to turn my uncle red. I have an olive skin complexion. So I don't know the mixtures.

I've always hated how the natives were treated and the land our ancestors stole. My family immigrated from Ireland during world war two so they weren't a part of the mistreatment. My English side, however, I don't know when they came over or if they were involved with the land take over. Probably not.

Anyway, I remember being taught in Elementary school about the Trail of Tears. It was glossed over I'm sure from what really happened.

"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

i can tell you what happened.

that son of a bitch andrew jackson and his complicit congress, under military force, rounded up the civilized tribes from the american south and made them relocate to oklahoma, over several years in the 1830s. these were the cherokee, chickasaw, choctaw, seminole, and creek tribes. various clans of the cherokees and seminole resisted the relocation and still have a dubious tribal existence in the east.

th eindians were forced to leave with little more than they could load in a wagon and carry. in some instances, white looters broke into their homes from the back while they were being rounded up in the front.

thousands of people died due to exposure, exhaustion, and starvation. old people and children froze to death and were buried by the side of the road. the cherokees especially were mistreated, as most of them walked and could bring only what they carried.

jackson had been prohibited from processign the removal by the supremem court. he ignored the injunction and did it anyway.

i had ancestors on the trail of tears on my mothers side ampong the chickasaws, and on my fathers among the cherokees.

other members of my mother's family came from the choctaw.

there was no legal excuse for the relocation. the civilized tribes had attempted to integrate, had a compatible culture, thir own written language and newspapers, and were assimilating into while society. but the ones who lived on tribal lands were removed. the entire affair was a simple land grab in order for the whites to take over the indian farmlands.

if becoming religious would ensure andrew jackson a place in hell, i would consider converting back to a believer.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

but if the rollnng stones had never mae but one piece of music, this would be the one.

keith richards does both guitars in the beginning.

spectacular

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

No one

billy rubin

i love this piece

its as visual as listening to tchaichovsky's 1812, without the hokey melodrama

ive never seen anybody put on the ballet. look at stravinsky do the conducting--totally deadpanuntilt theveryend

thenhegrins

dammitnowmykeyboardhasnospoacebar

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on July 06, 2020, 10:17:45 PM
i love this piece

its as visual as listening to tchaichovsky's 1812, without the hokey melodrama

ive never seen anybody put on the ballet. look at stravinsky do the conducting--totally deadpanuntilt theveryend

thenhegrins

dammitnowmykeyboardhasnospoacebar

That is so wonderful. In spite of his image, he was a gentle, warm-hearted man. I find it amusing, but not surprising, that he had an affair with Coco Chanel.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

damn im sorry but there's more. this one starts from the beginning, with bernstein introducing the old fart himslef/

what a master. he's playing the whole thing in his head as the performance goes on, and just trying to get the orchestra to duplicate whats going on inside him

ii don't know shit about classical music, but i know what i like.

and coco was hot

i love the ending, where it starts here at 10:00

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on July 07, 2020, 05:13:07 PM
ii don't know shit about classical music, but i know what i like.

Perhaps that is the purest form of appreciation. My enjoyment of music and the visual arts is always mixed with the need to over-analyze the work. It does not reduce the enjoyment, but sometimes I think I should just relax and let the music engulf me.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

im still not done. i didn't know this recording existed. 1929. its very different from contemporary interpretations. faster in parts, slower in others, different emphasis on particular suites of instruments that are playing simultaneously. i'm fascinated to hear the composers themselves conduct their own works. what they created then is so often not what is performed now. like old bernstein said in the previous piece.

the rite of spring was the first piece of symphonic music i ever discovered on my own

i have never lost my fascination for it. if i put it on, i'm lost. everything stops until its over.

billy rubin

billy rubin

god talented people make me just sit back and marvel

but does anybody else think that the conductor look like peter lorre

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on July 08, 2020, 03:54:01 PM
god talented people make me just sit back and marvel

but does anybody else think that the conductor look like peter lorre

Ha, yes, he does! Have you heard her stunning performance of Gaspard de la Nuit? I'll see whether it's on YouTube to post it here. Her Satie is good as well.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I found it! Here is Scarbo from Gaspard de la Nuit, played by Alice Sara Ott. Her technique is impressive.

― Charles Eames

billy rubin

just a time out for perter lorre

a magnifi9cent actor from a time before now