News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Confessions of a Secular Jesus Follower

Started by Sandra Craft, October 27, 2016, 12:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

I thought this book review was interesting: Confessions of a Secular Jesus Follower.  While I find the name  Tom Krattenmaker vaguely familiar, I couldn't say anything definite about him without using Google.

This caught my eye because I've always said that, given the inability by definition of providing evidence for the supernatural, the approach Xtians should take with atheists is presenting a convincing argument for following Christ's teachings anyway.  Now it seems someone secular has done that job for them.

From the review:
QuotePersonally, this book came at an ideal time. I'm an atheist who often wishes for a god. I look around the world and see the best and worst of humanity haloed by religion. As a resident of Mississippi, I see generosity and hatred wrapped up in the same gaudy evangelical bow. In a way, Krattenmaker, resolves a lot of the mental gymnastics I play with myself in regards to moral behavior and Jesus. Yes, you can see Jesus as a good, moral guide and not worship him. Yes, you can be moral without god. But, more than that, he encourages people to follow Jesus for the humanizing aspects of his philosophy.

I have a suspicion that I still couldn't handle the level of cherry-picking involved, but I am curious enough to read this book.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Arturo

Jesus was not a nice guy from what I heard, and he was unfair. Not something I could agree with.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tom62

Quote from: Apathy on October 27, 2016, 06:30:21 AM
Jesus was not a nice guy from what I heard, and he was unfair. Not something I could agree with.

I doubt that Jesus really existed. Looking at the historical time line, he must have been a combination of at least three different persons, "cooked up" in a mythical sauce.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

If what I was told/fed as a child Jesus was Bernie Sander's ancestor.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on October 27, 2016, 06:19:26 PM
If what I was told/fed as a child Jesus was Bernie Sander's ancestor.

That was pretty much the version that filtered into me as a kid, but I've come to the conclusion that I might not have been paying as much attention as I thought I was.
Sandy

Ecurb Noselrub

I like Jesus.  Given his cultural environment, he was quite progressive and tolerant.  He treated women and minorities with respect and railed against the religious establishment.  He preached love and went around doing good. Overall he's better than most of what you see today.

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 27, 2016, 11:40:18 PM
I like Jesus.
If he existed, I think I would've liked him too.

Given his cultural environment, he was quite progressive and tolerant.  He treated women and minorities with respect and railed against the religious establishment.  He preached love and went around doing good.
That sounds like Bernie to me.  :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Magdalena on October 28, 2016, 12:43:13 AM
I like Jesus.
If he existed, I think I would've liked him too.

Given his cultural environment, he was quite progressive and tolerant.  He treated women and minorities with respect and railed against the religious establishment.  He preached love and went around doing good.
That sounds like Bernie to me.  :grin:

Yes, if Bernie existed, he would be a lot like Jesus.  ;D

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 28, 2016, 11:20:37 AM

But who would that make Jane Sanders?
Sandy

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 28, 2016, 12:36:59 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 28, 2016, 11:20:37 AM

But who would that make Jane Sanders?

It would make her fictional, but we could get Mary Magdalene to play her on an SNL skit. 

No one

The greatest trick Jesus ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Icarus

The name Jesus or its equivalent was a common one in that region at that time. It is therefore rational to believe that a man named Jesus did exist.  Many of them in fact.  The Jesus of the bible is a whole different deal. The loaves, fishes, healing, and all those other miracles are difficult to accept as real world events. He could have been an itinerant preacher that was practiced in prestidigitation.  Son of God? That one is hard to swallow.