News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

America - the "Maker Nation"

Started by Dave, October 12, 2017, 09:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Something positive I find over the other side of the Pond for a change! I have mentioned it before and will admit to bring enbious about it, the "msker" attitude; the eell ewuipped home workshop and whole industries that support the amateur and semi-professional craftsmen, technicians and engineers.

David Brin, scientist, futurologist, sci-fi author, claims there are more sword makers in America now than there were in Europe in the Middle Ages, more blacksmiths than in the cowboy era. OK, that is looking backwards but is still creative and creativity encourages inovation.

I always think this is a consequence of the isolated nature of dociety in the esrly expsndion days, you had to be a jack of many trades to survive until towns and shared economies moved in. America seems to have retained a lot of that self-sufficient "make-modify-and-mend" mindset. This is partly to the benefit of the nation but maybe also encouraged the negative sides - the mistrust of authority, a slight 'hermit' mentality in some loners etc.

I have to admit to having an interest in this because, though from different reasons, I share similar attitudes. Including, it often seems to me, a tension between that desired self-sufficiency and an acknowledgement that we actually live in dependant societies - especially in small nations like the UK.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on October 12, 2017, 09:14:30 AMengineers.
I always think this is a consequence of the isolated nature of dociety in the esrly expsndion days, you had to be a jack of many trades to survive until towns and shared economies moved in.

Could be a marginal rural existence thing, don't have the money to pay anyone, if you get a bit you know to conserve it.

Quote from: Dave on October 12, 2017, 09:14:30 AMThis is partly to the benefit of the nation but maybe also encouraged the negative sides - the mistrust of authority,

Authority can be a xxxx xxxx xxxx an unwelcome imposition on the simple folk.
I've got some acres, I bought 26 years ago on the edge of a growing town.
The powers that be skipped me and declared areas further out to be the places for new housing.
Ah well, that's the way things go.
But that's not all, they drew a line across my land making a forken koala sanctuary.
If I have an existing dog I can replace it, I assume anyone wanting buying my land doesn't get to have a dog at all.  My two daughters who grew up here, who each have a dog which is like a child to them, I'd have to consult the council to see if it's all right for them to come home, if I was a strict law abider.
Someone lend me a gun, I won't need it long.

Breath deeply, in out, in out, in out.

USA is a big big big market so niche can be large.

QuoteHey True Blue, can you bear the load
Will you tie it up with wire
Just to keep the show on the road

That's a quote from an awfully sentimental 80s song my olds liked.
I love the "Will you tie it up with wire" line.
You can do so much with wire but bend the end, it'll take ya eye out.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

jumbojak

There might be more blacksmiths today but most are bad ones. Like me.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on October 12, 2017, 03:11:42 PM
There might be more blacksmiths today but most are bad ones. Like me.
JJ, if the bits of metal you bash do the job that you want - that's OK! When I got the chance to bash some steel, 4 decades after doing it at school, I was pleased that I produced a usable narrow hoe from a knackered 1.5 inch spanner! A I thoroughly enjoyed the process. My arms, shoulders and back reminded me of it for two days though . . .

But I am a blacksmith's son and grandson so perhaps it is in the genes?

Ecurb Noselrub

Lots of reasons for this, some already mentioned: the pioneer mentality and environment, separation from other civilizations, the love of freedom and self-reliance that caused people to come here in the first place, lack of a hierarchical society, etc.   Also, over time there developed a self-awareness of a sort of exceptionalism and boundless opportunity here, and that spurred innovation to a degree. 

Icarus

There is an intrigueing program on TV that has blacksmiths competing with one another for making cutting tools...mostly things like swords, machetes, cleavers and what all.  It is actually an international competition that includes smithys from over the globe.  I find the program fascinating because there are still old world craftsmen, and a few women, who can forge and finish some exceptional cutting instruments.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on October 13, 2017, 02:25:18 AM
There is an intrigueing program on TV that has blacksmiths competing with one another for making cutting tools...mostly things like swords, machetes, cleavers and what all.  It is actually an international competition that includes smithys from over the globe.  I find the program fascinating because there are still old world craftsmen, and a few women, who can forge and finish some exceptional cutting instruments.

I can relate to that, there is something quite fundamentally emotional about smithing for me that perhaps only stone carving and sculpturing come close to - but even they run a poor second. And I am aware of how widespread this is.

Is it the control and use of basic energy, fire, plus the making of useful items from lumps of stuff? Is it the image ofvthr burly blackdmith? (My father was a skinny blacksmith!) Is it a "semi-magicsl" thing from thousands of years ago when those with the knowledge turned lumps of rock into weapons?

Dunno, but it seems universal!