News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Don't feel bad about using a board for a router fence, Tank. I've been doing wood working for decades and only got a real router table with a fence last year. You're doing some nice work there!

Tank

Wood works fine for the fence :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Tank, is that die a true cube, or does it just look distorted in the photo?

Oh, I see now how you are going to put it together. With the other plywood faces on it's going to be cubic. Silly me.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 20, 2020, 06:58:43 PM
Tank, is that die a true cube, or does it just look distorted in the photo?

Oh, I see now how you are going to put it together. With the other plywood faces on it's going to be cubic. Silly me.

As you say it ends up a cube. I'm mainly practising making things accurately and square at the moment :)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Your 6 face has an unusual arrangement of dots. I've never seen that pattern, but I like it.
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 20, 2020, 07:16:54 PM
Your 6 face has an unusual arrangement of dots. I've never seen that pattern, but I like it.

On the original dice the dowel holes on the 6 were so close to each other that the veneer lifted between them. By putting the dowels in a hexagon they are wider apart.

Icarus

Tank. Thank you for the instruction at post 581.  I will work on that.  I have not had any particular difficulty when posting on another forum or in my E-mails.  I do struggle with the HAF forum as is obvious.  I have transferred my photos from my camera to my photo app, Lumix, then to another transfer to Imgur.

I just learned that Imgur gives my photo a different name.  In the case I sought to post the photo, the apparent name of the file is HjORjzg-imgur.jpg.  Not sure whether the O symbol is a number or a letter. 

Is that what I am to insert between the two [img] brackets? ..................

When I want to add a picture or drawing to an E-mail, all I need do is click the paper clip and go to the photo file or scanned file and select it.   It magically attaches itself to my e mail letter. Whooo eeee I have mastered that process but am apparenty too brain dead to  figure out the HAF process.

In any case, Thank you one and all for your patience. 

Billy, I will continue to try to post a pic and a drawing of the simple sharpening rig. ( as soon as i get over the embarrassment)

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on June 21, 2020, 01:55:17 AM
Tank. Thank you for the instruction at post 581.  I will work on that.  I have not had any particular difficulty when posting on another forum or in my E-mails.  I do struggle with the HAF forum as is obvious.  I have transferred my photos from my camera to my photo app, Lumix, then to another transfer to Imgur.

I just learned that Imgur gives my photo a different name.  In the case I sought to post the photo, the apparent name of the file is HjORjzg-imgur.jpg.  Not sure whether the O symbol is a number or a letter. 

When I want to add a picture or drawing to an E-mail, all I need do is click the paper clip and go to the photo file or scanned file and select it.   It magically attaches itself to my e mail letter. Whooo eeee I have mastered that process but am apparenty too brain dead to  figure out the HAF process.

Billy, I will continue to try to post a pic and a drawing of the simple sharpening rig. ( as soon as i get over the embarrassment)

If you upload a pic to imgur, just click on the picture and then on the button over on the right that says "post in a forum", and then paste that character string into your post. You can get into trouble with gifs and videos, but that's a different animal. We'll get you into this century, yet!

Tank

You'll need the full Imgur URL from http... to ...jpg otherwise your browser won't know where to go and what to retrieve.

You put all of that URL between the image tags so [img]Whole URL[/img] will work

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on June 21, 2020, 08:39:02 AM

You'll need the full Imgur URL from http... to ...jpg otherwise your browser won't know where to go and what to retrieve.

You put all of that URL between the image tags so [img]Whole URL[/img] will work

Click on the photo in Imgur. The following window will pop up:

Left-click on the second blue Copy button from the bottom to copy the BBCode. Then, in the HAF message you are composing, right-click to paste the image code directly into the message.
― Charles Eames

Icarus

You gentlemen are being admirably patient with me.  I will, with your help, and my ignorant determination,  deliver myself into the 21 first century as DL suggests.

billy rubin

in my opinion the 21st century is overrated. large portions of it remain irrelevant to my interests.

im hard pressed to think of innovations in this century that i could not do without. lots of them i prefer to without.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on June 22, 2020, 01:23:53 AM
You gentlemen are being admirably patient with me.  I will, with your help, and my ignorant determination,  deliver myself into the 21 first century as DL suggests.

OK, do you have an imgur account with pictures in it, yet?

Once you get there, and copy a link, it will look like this: https://i.imgur.com/m5anmZk.jpg, except that I took the "img" from the front of the url, and the "/img" from the end, so that a picture doesn't actually get displayed here, for clarity. Hopefully this shows like I expect. There should be brackets on the items in quoted, but they have to be omitted to display what is going on. To the uninitiated, this may be even more confusing.