News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Quote from: Gloucester on July 25, 2017, 07:47:13 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on July 25, 2017, 03:40:06 AM
Quote from: Davin on July 24, 2017, 05:33:13 PM
So I need to learn how to replace an exterior door. Been reading tutorials and watching videos. Looks like I'll need to get a few more tools.

What do you need besides a prybat, hammer and screw gun? Maybe a pair of scissors or utility knife and a nail set.

Eh?
Plus a chisel for setting in the hinges and (if mortice type) lock and plate, flat-bit or auger for setting in the lock itself, or hole saw for whst we call a "Yale' lock over here.

Assuming it is not a modern double glazed plastic/metal frame door!

Chisel, yes! One of those things I have so many of lying around that I forget about. The augers go in the kit with the screw gun. It's a good thing I'm not a contractor. I'd spend as much time running to the hardware store as I do on the job...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 25, 2017, 11:52:25 AM
Yes, the pieces of glass were rather heavy. The two guys who came to install it were very efficient, though, and did the job in less than two hours. It would have taken me 2 days.

That looks like a bank vault! At least the ones at the branch banks around here. Very cool.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on July 25, 2017, 01:55:37 PM
Yes, the pieces of glass were rather heavy. The two guys who came to install it were very efficient, though, and did the job in less than two hours. It would have taken me 2 days.

That looks like a bank vault! At least the ones at the branch banks around here. Very cool.

Thank you. My taste is very much what used to be called Hi-Tech. That is probably why I like Norman Foster's architecture so much.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 25, 2017, 03:32:33 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on July 25, 2017, 01:55:37 PM

Thank you. My taste is very much what used to be called Hi-Tech. That is probably why I like Norman Foster's architecture so much.

With you as far as I can take in in my tiny flat. Metal framed, sprayed silver, furniture with etched glass tops and doors, etched glass shelves mostly and a six bladed ceiling fan that looks like it came out of a lab. My folding table has a wood frame but white panels and there is a skeleton framed drawer unit where the drawers are made of a steel mesh.

Idea was partly to get as much light and as little shadow into the room, when half the wall space was covered in book shelves it looked half the size.. Looks a bit industrial but, suits me! Predominant colours white, blue and red with a touch of yellow. Shelves mainly covered in books and science/tech toys. Oh, and dust.

With you on Foster as wrll, admired that man for a long time.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

So I need to learn how to replace an exterior door. Been reading tutorials and watching videos. Looks like I'll need to get a few more tools.

What do you need besides a prybat, hammer and screw gun? Maybe a pair of scissors or utility knife and a nail set.
I think I just need a crow bar or whatever the small ones are called.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

jumbojak

Quote from: Davin on July 25, 2017, 03:57:37 PM

A Stanley Wonder Bar would be just about perfect. Even better if you can sharpen it just a tick. Not a cutting edge but the new Stanley bars are just a bit dull to slip in well.

jumbojak

The washing machine is now fixed. Hopefully anyway... what do you guys do with all the extra screws and widgets that inevitably materialize after a project like this?

Just kidding. All screws and widgets accounted for.

Dave

I waz gonna ssy, no "potentially useful bits bin?

More year ago than I care to remember, on being posted to Bahrein by the RAF, I stripped my motocycle combination down to bits that I could get through the gate into the back yard. Dad was left with instructions to take the oily wrag out of the plug holes, give each cylinder a squirt of Redex then turn the engine over, with the kickstart, once a month.

When I returned I put it all back together - but I had one 1/2" by 3" bolt left over with a nut and washer.  I worried over where this belonged for about an hour when Mum called me in for a cuppa. "You look puzzled", so I told her why and showed her the nut anf bolt.

"Oh, I found that down the road and put it in your box in case it was useful."

The thing was it had traces of blue paint on the head, just like the sidecar frame!

:eyeroll:

jumbojak

That sounds like a potential nightmare. Especially on a motorcycle. I'd have taken it all back apart again if nobody told me where it came from. And then probably found somewhere to stick it during reassembly!

Back in high school one of our shop projects was converting a Ford 8700 naturally aspirated tractor to a turbo setup. It involved swapping the crank and connecting rods from a trashed 9700. During the teardown our shop teacher had a designated bucket for all the bolts. Some how that bucket got lost. And thus... two tractors went to the great scrapyard in the sky...

Arturo

Prybar
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on July 26, 2017, 01:10:52 AM

Prybar

Nah, crowbar!

hermes2015

Hey, Gloucester, you've been quiet - what are you up to?

Yesterday, I started replacing the porcelain edge tiles on the steps surrounding my daughter's swimming pool. I first tried some quick-setting cement, but it was too goopy and kept flowing down. It is a wonderful product that sets rock hard in an hour, but not really easy to use for this job. I have decided to get some tile adhesive and try that instead. Any advice will be appreciated.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 30, 2017, 05:25:14 AM

Yesterday, I started replacing the porcelain edge tiles on the steps surrounding my daughter's swimming pool. I first tried some quick-setting cement, but it was too goopy and kept flowing down. It is a wonderful product that sets rock hard in an hour, but not really easy to use for this job. I have decided to get some tile adhesive and try that instead. Any advice will be appreciated.

Eh? You have been quieter than I!  :grin:

Don't know much about tiling, only tried it once using conventional tiling crment in my bsthroom.

Are these vertical, horizontsl or 90o "corner" edge tiles ?

Only stuff I have done lately is help a neighbor rehang the wall cupboards in his kitchen so they actually line up.

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on July 30, 2017, 06:40:19 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on July 30, 2017, 05:25:14 AM

Eh? You have been quieter than I!  :grin:

Don't know much about tiling, only tried it once using conventional tiling crment in my bsthroom.

Are these vertical, horizontsl or 90o "corner" edge tiles ?

Only stuff I have done lately is help a neighbor rehang the wall cupboards in his kitchen so they actually line up.

Yes, I have been doing some odd jobs in the apartment and have not posted much. I am also working on the details of a new sculpture I want to make.

The tiles are 90 degree edging tiles with a rounded edge, I think also called nose tiles, made of porcelain. I will buy some porcelain adhesive today and try it tomorrow, because my daughter and grandson are out all day today. The original tilers did not do a good job, so some have loosened over the years.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Forgot to mention they are horizontal edges on the steps.
― Charles Eames