News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

A Game of Thrones (Full of spoilers!)

Started by Sandra Craft, May 28, 2012, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

They already are. Have you seen the shoddiness of storytelling this season?  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Claireliontamer on August 09, 2017, 12:10:02 PM
I'm beginning to wonder how they're going to tie off all loose ends before the end of the limited episodes which are left.  I mean we haven't even seen the white walkers yet this season.  I just fear they're going to rush a lot of it to reach an end, either that or there are going to be lots of unanswered questions.

I read that they're already planning a spin-off, maybe they're hoping to cover it there.  One problem tho -- the actor playing Dany won't be part of it.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

The role would likely have to be recast for a prequel - but then, all the kids and young people who were born in them prequel times would have to be recast. A sequel would face similar issues. A sort-of story within the story... Yes, her not being there would be detrimental to that if indeed she was a player in that world. One could, for example, see the story with the eyes of House Stark and avoid her almost entirely for a vast number of episodes, other than by mention.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Claireliontamer on August 09, 2017, 12:10:02 PM
I'm beginning to wonder how they're going to tie off all loose ends before the end of the limited episodes which are left.  I mean we haven't even seen the white walkers yet this season.  I just fear they're going to rush a lot of it to reach an end, either that or there are going to be lots of unanswered questions.

Spin-offs, books and videogames apparently, which kind of sucks because even though I totally go into full blown geek mode with all things GoT-related I don't have the time nor energy to play the videogames.  ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Thinking over last week's episode, I have a couple of questions that I think need the input of someone experienced in, or at least knowledgeable about, fighting and combat:

1) the sparring between Brienne and Arya.  I can't get over the feeling that this was entirely unrealistic, no matter how agile, fast and ninja-like Arya is.  Since she wasn't fighting ninja style, should she really have been able to fight to a draw with someone not only more experienced in sword-fighting, but much stronger and with a longer reach?  Or are we to assume that Brienne was pulling all her punches?

2)  Bronn and the what-not.  I actually have a couple of questions here.  The less important one is his ability to hit a fast moving, distant target on the second try with absolutely no training at all, but I'm willing to put that down to luck and long practice at aiming things in general.  What really puzzles me about this scene is that he's in the midst of attacking Dothraki, completely vulnerable while he's fussing with the Scorpion thing, and not a single Dothraki takes a a few seconds to kill him.  It's like he suddenly acquired invisibility while he was shooting at their Khaleesi.

What am I missing here?
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Epi 7.5, Eastwatch.

Meh, can't say this episode did much for me tho there were a few things I liked:

The last few years have been good for Gendry's looks, and he has some interesting street fighting skills.

We were given a penny in mid-fall with the news that Jon isn't a Snow after all. 

There was a nice bit of comic action in Arya and Baelish spying on each other.

Finally the Hound is back -- I always enjoy him.
Sandy

Asmodean

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on August 14, 2017, 01:36:38 AM
1) the sparring between Brienne and Arya.  I can't get over the feeling that this was entirely unrealistic, no matter how agile, fast and ninja-like Arya is.  Since she wasn't fighting ninja style, should she really have been able to fight to a draw with someone not only more experienced in sword-fighting, but much stronger and with a longer reach?  Or are we to assume that Brienne was pulling all her punches?
Hound The Wise once said something about thick armor and a big fucking sword. There is a reason why vanguards in medieval times did not charge into a melee with daggers. Pretty much no-one did. Those were secondary weapons for crossbowmen and what have you.

I don't think the tall knight-lady gave it her best.

Quote2)  Bronn and the what-not.  I actually have a couple of questions here.  The less important one is his ability to hit a fast moving, distant target on the second try with absolutely no training at all, but I'm willing to put that down to luck and long practice at aiming things in general.
The beauty of a crossbow type weapon is that it requires very little training to be hugely effective. In fact, from the movements of that dragon, he should have been more on target with a weapon like that. Ok, fine, it was probably a prototype with unbalanced bolts and what have you, but still... Crossbows are very accurate, even in the hands of a lesser marksman.

QuoteWhat really puzzles me about this scene is that he's in the midst of attacking Dothraki, completely vulnerable while he's fussing with the Scorpion thing, and not a single Dothraki takes a a few seconds to kill him.  It's like he suddenly acquired invisibility while he was shooting at their Khaleesi.
Well, them horsemen fought like an uncivilized mob. In fact, if not for the dragon, I'd say that the Lannister spear wall may have broken them. Still, their line was way too long. Spears and pikes can be devastatingly effective in defense when in a box or circular shiltron formation (Hedgehog) as they present the same threat from each side and thus can not be effectively flanked. The dragons are obviously a game breaker in such matters, which is why I want to see them dead or otherwise incapacitated. I probably won't, but I still want to.

In any case, one might assume that they went after targets which posed some threat to themselves rather than strategic targets.

By the way, in no way was mine an expert opinion. It was based mostly on common sense and what knowledge I have of medieval warfare. If someone wants to correct my facts and suppositions, please do.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

...So The Asmo just saw the latest episode and shall contribute with His usual Asmonalysis;

Them Zs be marching. Good... That's good.

I think executing Lord Dick and his father was a strategic error on the Dragon Queen's part. It shall bite her faction in the ass yet.

I liked Ser Merc's attitude towards the whole dragon business, all "Nuh-uh, motherfucker! YOU fight them" Sensible, Ser Merc.

So the Dwarf™ and the brother met... Well and good, if a little anticlimactic. There was a lot of mixed blood there, too easily sorted. I think the show creators are getting lazy around trivial minutia which forms the overall impression of depth for reasons of brevity. I disapprove.

Arya is being a disappointment of late, but we shall see if that story line manages to grow some meat on its bones later on. Doubtful, but here's to hoping.

I liked the shot of Lord Weasel knowing things. It does renew my hope that his plots may well be as intricate as I want them to be.

The Hound... Totally in jail. HA!

Lord Bastard Baratheon... Respect for the size of the war hammer, but also... Not buying it. Compare the head of a bec-de-corbin with that thing and you may see why. Also, fermented whatwherenow..?  :o

Also, disappointing, if not surprising, that Bran's story is being handled... The way it is. Speaking of not surprising, Queen Xerxes is obviously up to backstabbery.

Sam... Will be interesting, I think. I approve of him having just enough screen time to be important in this episode. As in, cut the filler type of situation.

Favourite characters: Ser Merc, King Wildling (loved the exchange about the two queens. So... Uncomplicated), Lord Weasel for that one expression, Queen Xerxes, King Snow.

Chopping block: Arya, Bran, Ser Jamie, Dragon Queen. Regretfully, The Dwarf™ is in a downward approval spiral in The Asmo's book. Something needs to be done, or he may well end up there too. Still, some have managed to get themselves off the list after having been on it.

Overall, I actually liked this episode way better than the last one. It moved some affairs forward, which I have long wanted to see moved.

Who did The Asmo neglect to mention? He neglected to mention someone of importance, yesno?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on August 14, 2017, 04:47:43 PM

Sam... Will be interesting, I think. I approve of him having just enough screen time to be important in this episode. As in, cut the filler type of situation.

Sam's future is going to get interesting on so many levels.  1) he's now the head of his house, and baby Sam (Craster's bastard) is next in line, 2) he doesn't know it yet but he has major game changing information about Jon and 3) dealing with his friendship with Jon and Jon's friendship with the Dragon Queen after Sam finds out what happened to his father and brother.

QuoteAlso, fermented whatwherenow..?  :o

Yeah.  I was thinking they'd have died of food poisoning anyway if Gendry hadn't mercy killed them.  Will men try anything if it's labeled an aphrodisiac?
Sandy

Asmodean

A 'Smo doth wonder; the king of them icy Zs... He has powers. He has to know that there be dragons. How plans he to defeat those..? Just by throwing Zs at the issue until it's an issue no more?

Also, King Snow being all cozy with the dragon... Is it because he's a Targa... Tagra... Agrarian?

*a fucking-google-it later*

Targaryen. Or is it because he be a fire Z? Or does the dragon just... Not dislike him? Or a combination/other factors?

Also, will Queen Xerxes die in childbirth, thus sort-of making Jamie her undoing..? Would that not be an interesting twist to that prophecy? Ooh, and Ser Mountain... He still be having sex with that woman, you reckon? How do Zs..? Nevermind...
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on August 14, 2017, 09:45:53 PM
A 'Smo doth wonder; the king of them icy Zs... He has powers. He has to know that there be dragons. How plans he to defeat those..? Just by throwing Zs at the issue until it's an issue no more?

I've heard a spoiler that one of the dragons will be killed and turned into an ice dragon that the Night King will ride into battle.

QuoteAlso, King Snow being all cozy with the dragon... Is it because he's a Targa... Tagra... Agrarian?

*a fucking-google-it later*

Targaryen. Or is it because he be a fire Z? Or does the dragon just... Not dislike him? Or a combination/other factors?

Because he's Targaryen -- and legitimate (as it turns out) and precedes our Dany's claim to the Iron Throne. 

QuoteAlso, will Queen Xerxes die in childbirth, thus sort-of making Jamie her undoing..? Would that not be an interesting twist to that prophecy?

Not as satisfying as a murder/suicide by sword.

QuoteOoh, and Ser Mountain... He still be having sex with that woman, you reckon?

If by "that woman" you mean Brienne, I will kill the Mountain myself, even if I have to steal a flamethrower.

QuoteHow do Zs..? Nevermind...

Magic.  They were created by magic and reproduce by magic.
Sandy

Asmodean

You know, the woman... The one Xerxes gave him to be the god of..? But without blood pressure and what have you..? Well... He might need some of them fermented sea creatures Ser Smuggler's pushing. Like... The dude sails around with buckets of rotting squid...  :twitch:

Also, yes please! A dragon for the Zees :D The Asmo approves deeply.

Now... The Asmo's Alternate Storyline:

So there's the King Z, right, going all Nazgûl on their asses 'n shit, then suddenly, the tall knight-lady jumps out all like "Bitch, prepare to DIE, ser!" and the Z's all like "Motherfucker PLEASE! Aint no dude who can kill ME!" and she's all like "Fool, FUCK you! There aint nothing poking out between them legs! Uh... Ser." And then she be like *CHOP* and he be like "NNOOOOO!!" And... and... Then they all kill each other in the war over the sword chair.

:popcorn:

The Asmo, He ought to do Hollywood, Himthink.  :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on August 15, 2017, 05:48:52 AM
You know, the woman... The one Xerxes gave him to be the god of..? But without blood pressure and what have you..? Well... He might need some of them fermented sea creatures Ser Smuggler's pushing. Like... The dude sails around with buckets of rotting squid...  :twitch:

Oh, her . . . the "shame, shame" woman.  She must be long dead by now.  I do wonder, tho, if the Mountain has moved on to raping Ellaria?

QuoteNow... The Asmo's Alternate Storyline:

So there's the King Z, right, going all Nazgûl on their asses 'n shit, then suddenly, the tall knight-lady jumps out all like "Bitch, prepare to DIE, ser!" and the Z's all like "Motherfucker PLEASE! Aint no dude who can kill ME!" and she's all like "Fool, FUCK you! There aint nothing poking out between them legs! Uh... Ser." And then she be like *CHOP* and he be like "NNOOOOO!!" And... and... Then they all kill each other in the war over the sword chair.

:popcorn:

The Asmo, He ought to do Hollywood, Himthink.  :smilenod:

I agree, I like it.
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

So I just watched the leaked episode, "Death is the Enemy", and I must say, things have certainly gotten interesting.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey