News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Recent posts

:lol:

But yeah... Unless presented with enough "best practice" scenarios, the AI may act in ways humans find unpredictable, although those ways make perfect "machine sense."

I suppose that will be the differing AI personalities - How and where they do exactly as you ask while doing exactly the opposite.
Reminds me somehow of the movie Dark Star

Doolittle: [Doolittle convinces the bomb not to explode]
Doolittle: [1:12:12] Hello, Bomb? Are you with me?
Bomb #20: Of course.
Doolittle: Are you willing to entertain a few concepts?
Bomb #20: I am always receptive to suggestions.
Doolittle: Fine. Think about this then. How do you know you exist?
Bomb #20: Well, of course I exist.
Doolittle: But how do you know you exist?
Bomb #20: It is intuitively obvious.
Doolittle: Intuition is no proof. What concrete evidence do you have that you exist?
Bomb #20: Hmmmm... well... I think, therefore I am.
Doolittle: That's good. That's very good. But how do you know
Doolittle: that anything else exists?
Bomb #20: My sensory apparatus reveals it to me. This is fun.

Sgt. Pinback: [1:18:22] All right, bomb. Prepare to receive new orders.
Bomb#20: You are false data.
Sgt. Pinback: Hmmm?
Bomb#20: Therefore I shall ignore you.
Sgt. Pinback: Hello... bomb?
Bomb#20: False data can act only as a distraction. Therefore, I shall refuse to perceive.
Sgt. Pinback: Hey, bomb?
Bomb#20: The only thing that exists is myself.
Sgt. Pinback: Snap out of it, bomb.
Bomb#20: In the beginning, there was darkness. And the darkness was without form, and void.
Boiler: What the hell is he talking about?
Bomb#20: And in addition to the darkness there was also me. And I moved upon the face of the darkness. And I saw that I was alone. Let there be light.
Music / Re: What are you listening to?
Last post by billy rubin - Today at 12:03:57 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 03, 2024, 11:10:57 AMPhilip Glass: Symphony No. 4 "Heroes", inspired by David Bowie.

thank you

i have all day driving the truck to listen to this.
Music / Re: What are you listening to?
Last post by billy rubin - April 18, 2024, 11:59:47 PM

i love her music. she is as prolific as her father. her early stuff is hard core traditional, but she began branching out and now produces material like this and more radical.

this is anoushka on the sitar, and her sister norah jones on vocals
Religion / Re: Christian Nonduality
Last post by zorkan - April 18, 2024, 02:02:52 PM
Yeah, scrap the religion section and religion with it.
Religion means living in fear for the rest of your life.
Philosophy is dead (Stephen Hawking).
Everything it has ever presented has been proved false.
Last post by Asmodean - April 18, 2024, 02:00:12 PM
Quote from: Me_Be on April 18, 2024, 11:49:35 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on April 15, 2024, 07:37:32 AMThis thread is in the wrong section. It should be in the philosophy section.
Okay, move this thread to the philosophy section then. No problem.

Quote from: Asmodean on April 15, 2024, 07:37:32 AMOne of the things that I boast about is; although we are happy "atheists" we do not discuss religion, or the absence of it, as a main thrust. We devote more space to petrol heads, photography, music, and strange antipodean stuff that Puddin brings us.
And yet the ''Happy Atheist Forum'' has a Religious section where people are invited to explore - The set of beliefs, rituals, and practices founded on specific supernatural and moral claims about reality and often associated with worship of a deity.

So what to do?  :thoughtful:

You may have misattributed the quotes slightly. 'Twas not I who said that, 'twas Icarus ;)
>AWAITING INPUT
>"I am the LORD thy GOD!"
>AWAITING INPUT
>"You know it was her own damned fault when God turned that bitch to salt"
>AWAITING INPUT
>"Draw me a picture of big-tittied women making out"

All this shit is perfectly meaningless to the AI. It's meaningless to a fair share of biological intelligence, even.

So the AI knows that it has been alleged that god does not like you looking at other gods. Except being directly programmed to do so, what would be its machine learning path to "caring?"

EDIT: I suppose I should expand a tiny bit.

"Thou shalt not kill" is in itself a meaningless statement because "all" of its meaning is written between the lines. A meaningful statement would be, "Here is how you can kill: <insert reference to dataset>. Here is how you avoid it: <reference to a different dataset>. Here's when you shouldn't <dataset>."

Similarly, coveting thy neighbour's wife is wrong and sinful-like, but there is nothing there about coveting your father's wife. Well, not unless your father is your neighbour. An AI could go incestuous just by that logic, nevermind it suffering from the same issues as killing, stealing, hereticking and other such biblical thou-shalt-nots suffer.
Last post by Me_Be - April 18, 2024, 11:49:35 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on April 15, 2024, 07:37:32 AMThis thread is in the wrong section. It should be in the philosophy section.
Okay, move this thread to the philosophy section then. No problem.

Quote from: Asmodean on April 15, 2024, 07:37:32 AMOne of the things that I boast about is; although we are happy "atheists" we do not discuss religion, or the absence of it, as a main thrust. We devote more space to petrol heads, photography, music, and strange antipodean stuff that Puddin brings us.
And yet the ''Happy Atheist Forum'' has a Religious section where people are invited to explore - The set of beliefs, rituals, and practices founded on specific supernatural and moral claims about reality and often associated with worship of a deity.

So what to do?  :thoughtful:

Last post by Me_Be - April 18, 2024, 11:40:33 AM
Quote from: zorkan on April 15, 2024, 11:59:44 AMWhat's stopping me from existing again and again and again is the arrow of time (rel. to entropy).
"Just as well", did I hear.

Even the Greeks knew this.
When granted eternal life Tithonus was stuck in his old body.
If he'd asked the gods for eternal youth he wouldn't have been granted eternal life.

Eternal time is reality, and that which has a beginning and an end in time, is illusion. In the material world, time is an illusion, depicting past, present, and future.

It's an illusion, because in eternal time, there is only one tense - the present. There is no past and future in eternal time. Material time is thought of in terms of past, present, and future, so material time is illusion. In reality, past and future don't exist. There is only now. To exist in eternal time is like existing in one prolonged now.

Reality is that which is eternal and unreality, or illusion, is that which is temporary. So illusion does exist, but it is unreal in the sense that it's not eternal.

So reality and illusion are defined by time. One is eternal the other is temporary. And if you think about it, it makes sense. Anything seen in the light of eternity will be manifested for such a short flicker in time, that it is as if it didn't really happen.

So illusion exists, it is not false or fictional, but the reason it is not considered real is because it is not eternal. It's like a dream. A dream happens, but when we wake up, we understand it was not real. Life in a material body is like that - dream-like.

The duration of the universe will make a lifespan on earth seem completely insignificant, and cosmic time of millions, billions, and trillions of years will seem totally inconsequential and insignificant from the angle of eternal time. So in the light of eternity, anything that is not eternal, is but an illusory glimpse. That's how one can understand that anything which has a beginning and an end is illusory. Only that which is eternal is real.

Does the human body entropy? yes, it does. But can CONSCIOUSNESS entropy? it's hard to say...
We don't have any experience of something that lasts forever, do we? Yes we do. The only thing, that lasts forever is the conscious self. How so? because something conscious is absolutely here already being the witness of the body; so there is no way to un-witness this consciousness in the sense of it lasting forever, or having a beginning, or an ending from the first person singular pronoun perspective. Yes, we can witness beginning and ending of another person, but a consciousness is always needed for the witnessing of another persons entropy to be known to have occurred; so consciousness has to be eternal, never temporal.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Game: The Next Person... (...
Last post by Dark Lightning - April 17, 2024, 09:58:45 PM
False. There are dead rats and nopes in there.
TNP does their own home repairs.