News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Things that make you chuckle

Started by Dave, September 06, 2017, 06:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

i dont understand the bartlett pears

set the function, not the mechanism.

Dark Lightning

Probably a riff on "perra" which is a female dog. Those don't look like a dog. Just a guess.

hermes2015

I think pera means "wait" in Portuguese.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 06, 2021, 03:18:10 AM
I think pera means "wait" in Portuguese.

What difference an "r" makes. Reminds me of a song about "what difference a day makes".  :D

xSilverPhinx

"Pera" would mean "Pear" (I think in Spanish as well...Mags? :grin:)

In Portuguese, "Pera" can be shorthand for "Espera", which means "Wait".  Again, I think it's similar in Spanish.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 06, 2021, 07:45:17 PM

In Portuguese, "Pera" can be shorthand for "Espera", which means "Wait".  Again, I think it's similar in Spanish.
Ha!  ;D
Yes, pera is pear.
Espera is wait.
Perra...that's Lucy.  :snicker: (You met her.)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

odd

in french, "esperer" is to hope.

i wonder if the connection between spanish and french might have to do with an earlier meaning of "to anticipate  . . ."

set the function, not the mechanism.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on March 07, 2021, 03:02:05 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 06, 2021, 07:45:17 PM

Ha!  ;D
Yes, pera is pear.
Espera is wait.
Perra...that's Lucy.  :snicker: (You met her.)

:snicker: Yes, I remember Lucy la Perra.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on March 07, 2021, 04:54:28 PM
odd

in french, "esperer" is to hope.

i wonder if the connection between spanish and french might have to do with an earlier meaning of "to anticipate  . . ."

It's not that far from Portuguese, "esperança" is hope. "Ter esperança" is to hope (more literally translated as "to have hope"...).

I looked it up. Esperança, esperer etc. are derived from the Latin spes, which is equivalent to the English "hope". This word also originated the verb sperare.

As for anticipate, that comes from the Latin ante (before) and capere (take).

Icarus

Esperanca mean hope.......One of my admired musicians is named Esperanza.  Does that spelling translate to a Portuguese or Spanish word ?

I do not suppose that Esperanza Spalding is either Portuguese or Spanish,  She is an attractive black lady with a lot of talent.

Icarus

Here is espernaca....Esperanza doing what she does so well.  Give it a listen and take her advice,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQtXo4tiZxs&list=RDTQtXo4tiZxs&start_radio=1

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on March 09, 2021, 03:49:54 AM
Here is espernaca....Esperanza doing what she does so well.  Give it a listen and take her advice,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQtXo4tiZxs&list=RDTQtXo4tiZxs&start_radio=1

I'm not much of a jazz fan (even though she is no doubt a talented musician), but I must say, her normal speaking voice is cool.  8)

Magdalena

"Ay pápi!"
"Ay mámi!"
...There are no orphans either.
-What's your point?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one