News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Re: When Creationists Disagree

Started by Higgle, December 15, 2009, 11:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

An Old Earth Creationist arguing with a Young Earth Creationist... actually pretty amusing:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2005/0414lisle_transcript.asp
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Higgle

1minion

slightly related, a creationist whose comments are a constant delight at a blog where I contribute. She once said God made a "mature" earth which renders carbon dating useless. Recently she's said god could have taken an already existing planet and terraformed it for human life, since Genesis doesn't say that didn't happen. So I asked (for clarification and to be sarcastic) so all those early proto-humans are god's mistakes that he was too embarrassed to admit on paper?  You got it, she replied.

Oh, the laughs to be had. I love the internet!
"But you read a lot of books, I'm thinking. Hard to have faith, ain't it, when you've read too many books?"
       -- (Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum)

Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
       -- (Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms)

Pineapple

I had a creationist tell me once that evolution and carbon dating were absolute lies and conspiracies created by Atheist Scientists to steal religion from the upcoming generations of society.
Remember: Science is a lie!
"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."
-Pythagoras

LARA

But what's interesting about carbon dating is that it's actually used to verify the ages of "young" things.  Other elements have to be used to date the really old stuff.  This always makes me wonder if they have ever used carbon dating to try to verify the age of religious relics, manuscripts etc.  I'm guessing carbon dating isn't reliable to date this stuff since it's still too "young'.  

So I'm guessing the young earthers are just going on faith that the Bible was written approximately 2,000 years ago and wasn't say... an elaborate hoax spawned by an anonymously and chaotically written sci-fi novel from the 1950's and perpetuated by various governments to keep the citizenry confused and in line.  ;)

At any rate, this reminds me to due a little more investigation on radio-element dating since I only fairly recently learned that there were more types used than just radio-carbon dating.  DUH.  (to self)
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell