News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Paint and pigments

Started by hermes2015, July 02, 2020, 04:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on July 01, 2020, 11:07:35 PM
yes!

i would do that in a heartbeat

apparently he has the motot mounted high enough to keep the front end down

at high speeds theres always a tendency to lighten the front end on a wheel driven machine. this thing turns all the rules upside down

Here's a trivium about the video: The colour of the Ferrari is a pigment called PR254, a pyrrole red, which is sold in tubes of artist's oils by Winsor & Newton under the name of Bright Red. It's a useful red colour I like to use.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

hermez, whats the history on major pigments? what were the earliezt prehistoric pigmentz, and what was added over time?

what waz mineral and what was organic?

feel free to make a v ery long answer , if you have time. pigments are fascinating and i dont know jack about them.

i expected nothing but im still disappointed

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on July 02, 2020, 05:04:59 PM
hermez, whats the history on major pigments? what were the earliezt prehistoric pigmentz, and what was added over time?

what waz mineral and what was organic?

feel free to make a v ery long answer , if you have time. pigments are fascinating and i dont know jack about them.

The earliest pigments were mainly naturally occurring iron oxides found in clays. These ochres range from black to yellow and red, and were used in cave paintings. The earliest whites were lead salts like carbonates. Later other inorganic salts, some very toxic, were used. One of the most expensive blues was ground lapis lazuli. In more modern times synthetic pigments, often organic compounds, were developed.

Currently the trend is to use very stable, non-toxic organic compounds in artist's paints. For instance, many artists are moving away from the wonderful cadmium red (PR108) towards safe organic substitutes like PR254.

It is thought that Napoleon was poisoned by the very toxic arsenic-based emerald green used in wallpaper in his room.

Pigments and dyes (in the textile industry) are a fascinating branch of chemistry. If you are interested, there is a good reference site at
http://www.artiscreation.com/Color_index_names.html#.Xv4Qb_Ffjmh

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Split off the paint and pigments subject.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 02, 2020, 05:58:35 PM
The earliest pigments were mainly naturally occurring iron oxides found in clays. These ochres range from black to yellow and red, and were used in cave paintings. The earliest whites were lead salts like carbonates. Later other inorganic salts, some very toxic, were used. One of the most expensive blues was ground lapis lazuli. In more modern times synthetic pigments, often organic compounds, were developed.

Currently the trend is to use very stable, non-toxic organic compounds in artist's paints. For instance, many artists are moving away from the wonderful cadmium red (PR108) towards safe organic substitutes like PR254.

It is thought that Napoleon was poisoned by the very toxic arsenic-based emerald green used in wallpaper in his room.

Pigments and dyes (in the textile industry) are a fascinating branch of chemistry. If you are interested, there is a good reference site at
http://www.artiscreation.com/Color_index_names.html#.Xv4Qb_Ffjmh

now i have another field of knowledge to try to learn about.

colors are interesting in biology, because they often reflect culture more than hue.

horses can be bay, chestnut, palamino, buff, and so on. mice can be buff with a fulvous band. and so  on. there;s glaucous. now i have to go look through my field guides

how much has artistic expression been modified in the past because of the availability of certain types of pigments?

i'm reminded of a an early 20th century photographer who made specctacular art using a specific platinum printing process. when the process was discontinued commercially he gave up photography

billy rubin

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on July 02, 2020, 09:32:59 PM
Split off the paint and pigments subject.

Thanks, Tank. It is one of my interests, as you may have noticed. Although most artists are not terribly concerned with the chemistry of their paints, most worry about the light fastness of the pigments they use. In recent years some painters have become somewhat paranoid about the toxicity of certain pigments, but lead or cadmium poisoning from artist's paints is actually very unlikely. Traditional solvents are another matter, and I support the trend to move away from turpentine and volatile organic solvents.

I am aware of the technology of artist's materials, because I turn into a chemist when the moon is full.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on July 02, 2020, 10:58:57 PM
.... how much has artistic expression been modified in the past because of the availability of certain types of pigments?

Some artists are associated with certain pigments. The case of Yves Klein is an extreme one, where he patented a blue known as International Klein Blue, a variant of ultramarine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Klein_Blue

Another example is Pierre Soulages, who is known for his black paintings. He coined the name "outrenoir" for the black paintings.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00xZp5DefxbD7nnIOXKgHgu_WVWYA:1593749106345&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=pierre+soulages&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiF1eCKmrDqAhVwTxUIHUTuCAoQiR56BAgNEBQ&biw=1876&bih=936

I have admired Klein and Soulages since I was a boy. They, and other artists, were always my heroes.
― Charles Eames

Recusant

Related, I think. From a couple of years ago--I think mauve is no longer "the colour of the season."

"Mauve: the History of the Colour that Revolutionized the World" | OpenMind

QuoteWhile still a teenaged student, William Henry Perkin accidentally discovered the first synthetic organic dye in history, that of the colour mauve. It was a profitable mistake that demonstrated the enormous possibilities of chemistry, a science that in the mid-nineteenth century had just been born and scarcely had any applications. Here we review how this discovery changed the history of chemistry—in addition to contributing to great advances in other sciences—now that it's 180 years since Perkin's birth and he is back in fashion more than ever, with mauve as the colour of the season.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

Quote from: Recusant on July 03, 2020, 05:23:24 AM
Related, I think. From a couple of years ago--I think mauve is no longer "the colour of the season."

"Mauve: the History of the Colour that Revolutionized the World" | OpenMind

QuoteWhile still a teenaged student, William Henry Perkin accidentally discovered the first synthetic organic dye in history, that of the colour mauve. It was a profitable mistake that demonstrated the enormous possibilities of chemistry, a science that in the mid-nineteenth century had just been born and scarcely had any applications. Here we review how this discovery changed the history of chemistry—in addition to contributing to great advances in other sciences—now that it's 180 years since Perkin's birth and he is back in fashion more than ever, with mauve as the colour of the season.

[Continues . . .]

That was taught as part of our undergraduate organic chemistry course. So many important discoveries were accidental.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

How dangerous is turpentine? I used to use it all the time. Don't get me started on ethyl benzene. You can pry that from my cold, dead hands...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on July 03, 2020, 01:09:42 PM
How dangerous is turpentine? I used to use it all the time. Don't get me started on ethyl benzene. You can pry that from my cold, dead hands...

Turpentine isn't terribly toxic, but repeated exposure can lead to allergic respiratory reactions in some people. Once one has developed hypersensitivity, it can induce asthma-like reactions. I would be much more wary of using ethylbenzene indoors. Its parent molecule, benzene, is a potent carcinogen, and should be avoided at all costs, even outdoors. Remember that many of these chemicals can enter the bloodstream via skin absorption. An example is dimethylsulphoxide. If you put a drop of DMSO on your hand, you can taste it a few seconds later.

What do you use ethylbenzene for?
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

wow

seven years and then kaput

lol

QuoteThe show was a critical and commercial success, traveling to Paris, Düsseldorf and London. The Parisian exhibition, at the Iris Clert Gallery in May 1957, became a seminal happening.[3] To mark the opening, 1001 blue balloons were released and blue postcards were sent out using IKB stamps that Klein had bribed the postal service to accept as legitimate.[15] Concurrently, an exhibition of tubs of blue pigment and fire paintings was held at Galerie Collette Allendy.[16]

hermes2015

One has to experience Yves Klein's work in the flesh to get drawn into his International Klein Blue. PC monitors and photos can't do it. It's the same with Rothko's paintings.

I've read that the special PVA medium used with the powdered ultramarine is in part responsible for the unique character of IKB.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

A video about French Ultramarine, which has the Pigment Code PB29.

― Charles Eames