News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Duke of Bullshit: "The" Donald

Started by Recusant, November 11, 2015, 11:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Davin on June 19, 2018, 03:02:41 PM
He has been immune to his own actions for half a century. If he had been held to account for any of the illegal shit he'd been doing, if the wealthy were held to the same standards as the rest of us, he would be in jail long before he ran for president.

Don't expect a man who threatened and intimidated African-Americans in his buildings to illegally evict them and got away with it without barely a fine to understand that there are consequences to his actions. He's felt only good consequences to his actions his whole life.

Yes, good point. Says a lot about those Americans who backed, voted for and support him.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1009325231004004352
Quote29 years and nine months ago I registered to vote and became a member of The Republican Party which was founded in 1854 to oppose slavery and stand for the dignity of human life. Today I renounce my membership in the Republican Party. It is fully the party of Trump.

The whole thread is a good read.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: Davin on June 20, 2018, 03:36:52 PM
Quote29 years and nine months ago I registered to vote and became a member of The Republican Party which was founded in 1854 to oppose slavery and stand for the dignity of human life. Today I renounce my membership in the Republican Party. It is fully the party of Trump.

That point about pitching into a person who has finally seen the full darkness of the party he originally supported but is still hit by those in the party he is moving to, "So you say that now but what did you do about it last week, huh!?"  is so disheartening. Loyalty can be tenacious, even when your party is running counter to your basic values, you might feel trying to affect change from inside is better than dessertion until the utter obduracy of the leadership finally defeats your resolve. That is the way it should be. It also often generates the "zeal of the converted", something that can be "tamed" into productive action if handled well.

Davin

Quote from: Dave on June 20, 2018, 04:40:59 PM

That point about pitching into a person who has finally seen the full darkness of the party he originally supported but is still hit by those in the party he is moving to, "So you say that now but what did you do about it last week, huh!?"  is so disheartening. Loyalty can be tenacious, even when your party is running counter to your basic values, you might feel trying to affect change from inside is better than dessertion until the utter obduracy of the leadership finally defeats your resolve. That is the way it should be. It also often generates the "zeal of the converted", something that can be "tamed" into productive action if handled well.
This guy is not so innocent (he worked to help get Palin on the ticket), but when a person is willing to change and see that what they previously supported is not what they thought it was is something we should support. People change, people get better information, and things in the world change. So stop being so hard on the guy I think.

I fully support people deserting the GOP, even if they were previously shills for the GOP. I don't think this guy was a shill, but shy of people like Stephen Miller, I welcome people to leave the very corrupt and complicit Republican party. Forgive and move on.

I can see how someone could join the Republicans before Obama, they weren't so bad. I mean they were bad, but it was more hidden. Once joined, they would want to defend their group and try to justify things. But now, people who join or stay in that party have got to be pretty terrible people either because they are horrible people or because they aren't skeptical enough.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on June 20, 2018, 04:53:48 PM
Quote from: Dave on June 20, 2018, 04:40:59 PM

This guy is not so innocent (he worked to help get Palin on the ticket), but when a person is willing to change and see that what they previously supported is not what they thought it was is something we should support. People change, people get better information, and things in the world change. So stop being so hard on the guy I think.

I fully support people deserting the GOP, even if they were previously shills for the GOP. I don't think this guy was a shill, but shy of people like Stephen Miller, I welcome people to leave the very corrupt and complicit Republican party. Forgive and move on.

I can see how someone could join the Republicans before Obama, they weren't so bad. I mean they were bad, but it was more hidden. Once joined, they would want to defend their group and try to justify things. But now, people who join or stay in that party have got to be pretty terrible people either because they are horrible people or because they aren't skeptical enough.

A genuine, repentative convert can be a valuable asset if handled well - no matter what they did (within the law) prior to changeing sides.

Icarus

Dave

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Icarus on June 20, 2018, 08:46:37 PM
:snicker:  https://extranewsfeed.com/if-trumps-impeachment-leads-to-civil-war-armed-rednecks-will-be-coming-for-you-2d644a84e8de

I tell them and tell them, but I just can't get conservatives to understand that liberals have guns too.  This is America, after all. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

^I love it Sandy.  Matter of fact we do also have guns, not to mention brains and some degree of ferocity when/if the situation demands. Meanwhile let us enjoy the humor...... I hope that it was humor.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Icarus on June 21, 2018, 03:21:11 AM
^I love it Sandy.  Matter of fact we do also have guns, not to mention brains and some degree of ferocity when/if the situation demands. Meanwhile let us enjoy the humor...... I hope that it was humor.

::)  Maybe.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

joeactor

Icarus

^ Damn that magazine cover. It makes me cry. I mean it.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on June 22, 2018, 11:59:13 PM
^ Damn that magazine cover. It makes me cry. I mean it.
Even though there now seems doubt as to whether that spefific child was actually separated from her mother that does not diminish Trump's inherent evil nature.

And it is rarely that I use the e-word without quotation marks.

He was, in effect, saying, "Let me have my wall and I''ll let the kids have their moms"  in effect. Responsible people are etill saying the wall is a waste of time and money. Just another symbol of Trump's closed mind.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/06/trump-allies-struggle-to-explain-why-child-seperation-detention-not-evil
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/opinion/immigration-family-separation-border.html

Dave

And Trump's cynical use of those "Angel families" who have lost loved ones to the actions of illegal inmigrants only deepens my sense of evil.

"'These people have been permanetly separated from loved ones, not just for a few days," is indeed true, but in no civilised way excuses the trauma caused to little kids, or even their parents, by the forced separations. Will he be taking any siblings of American murderers away from their families?

http://time.com/5320128/trump-undocumented-violence-border-separation/

And now it looks like tented camps may be set up for illegal immigrants on old military baees. Forced incarceration might make comparison with "concentration camps" difficult to avoid.

Recognising that immigration is a world wide problem, that no countries can really afford, does not make such practices justifiable. Though civilised  solutions are not going to be easy to find. Any allowed trickle rapidly becomes a flood and not all immigrants are truly in fear for their freedom or lives.