News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 27, 2021, 06:53:25 PM
Having square lumber makes it a lot more fun to build things. Do you have a cyclone separator yet? You can make one, just look up Oneida "Dust Deputy" for an example. I have a cart with the separator installed above the shop vacuum. Now that you're getting into it, I'll tell you now that almost every dust collection port is a different size for each company. It gets annoying to rig adapters.

I have a cyclone on a 30litre polypropylene barrel powered by an old wet/dry vacuum cleaner. You're right about all the ports being different. I have found a local supplier of plastic pipe and plumbing fittings to connect things up. And duct tape is always your friend :D

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Nice! My setup has the cyclone and 5 gallon bucket directly above the wet/dry vac. My neighbors directly across the street tease me about having to walk sideways through my garage "shop", and it's not far off the mark.  :(

Icarus

I am with you DL.  One has to walk sideways in my garage too.  I have an el cheapo plastic cyclone fixture that clamps to the top of a 5 gallon bucket.  It is driven by the Shop Vac.  Works very well.  Breathing fine particles of wood cellulose and resin is not a good idea. I use my cyclone most of the time but foolishly, not always.

My table saw is a good quality one but it does not have riving knives.  I recently discovered a fairly good fix from an outfit that knows the danger of kickbacks. They have some plastic blades and installation parts that looks like a practical fix.  The name of the things is Microjigs.  See Microjig.com.

Dark Lightning

My table saw has a riving knife, and anti-kickback pawls on the dust guard. I do a lot of dado cuts, so these attachments see little use. I should be more conscientious about their use. I suffered a kickback almost a year ago. It knocked the living shit out of my right arm. I was making a mockup for a gunstock that I was considering making, but I made the mistake of cutting out the shape before thinning it. In retrospect, I should have run it through my thickness planer. 3 hours in urgent care and a lot of bandages could have been avoided.

Tank

I too have to do the sideways shuffle  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Tank, perhaps some ideas for you in this video.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

hermes2015

I have a technical question for you tool mavens. I have to modify the shapes of some holes drilled in 3 mm thick aluminium sheet. Since I don't own a Dremel tool, I was wondering whether it would be permissible to use a tungsten carbide router bit, normally used for woodwork, fitted in a router, to do the job. My idea is to do the milling very gradually, only removing about 0.5 mm or less every pass.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Yes, you may.  ;D I've taken way bigger bites when machining the edge of a 1/2" thick cast aluminum plate, using a straight bit. My only caveat would be to make sure that the metal is firmly clamped.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 05, 2021, 05:57:11 PM
Yes, you may.  ;D I've taken way bigger bites when machining the edge of a 1/2" thick cast aluminum plate, using a straight bit. My only caveat would be to make sure that the metal is firmly clamped.

Thanks for the advice. Now I will be less nervous to do it if I need to. I am not sure whether it will be necessary, but I wanted to be prepared just in case the need arises.
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

what kind of aluminum is it?

i have found that 6061 is a bear to modify with power tools as it work -hardens ahead of the cut, and eventually it's almost impossible to maintain progress

i won't use the stuff anymore if i have to modify it much and go to softer alloys

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

jumbojak

Clamp it securely and apply firm pressure while cutting. Chatter and work hardening are going to be the enemies, as DL and Billy said. It's entirely possible to cut too slowly in some materials. It the tool isn't removing material as quickly as work hardening occurs you can chatter, stall, or break tools.

Routers will certainly cut aluminum though.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Thanks for your feedback, guys. I have no idea what type of alloy the Al it is; it's 40 x 40 angle, 3 mm thick. I think I will just have to spend extra time in the CAD and measuring stages to ensure perfect hole locations and sizes, to minimize any fine tuning later. I am completing a life size reclining nude concrete sculpture in two parts, and these are the couplings I will use to join the two pieces when we install it on site .
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

that doesnt work in my life.

there are various left hand fastenerz on the stuff that i work on and i have to stop and stare at the parts before i can remember which fasteners go which way

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."