News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on June 23, 2020, 10:20:52 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on June 23, 2020, 10:15:36 AM
It looks good, Tank. You know what's coming next? If she does not have one yet, your wife is going to demand you make her a butcher's block in one form or another for the kitchen.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00oH_LB-2rlJqDdEC7BuNfjgeZ-CA:1592903553233&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=butchers+block&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjPms6TzJfqAhUxoXEKHf9nBUoQ7Al6BAgGEEM&biw=1876&bih=936

Fortunately my wife would never want one of those  :rofl:

You're safe for now.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 23, 2020, 12:02:36 PM
It looks good, Tank. You know what's coming next? If she does not have one yet, your wife is going to demand you make her a butcher's block in one form or another for the kitchen.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00oH_LB-2rlJqDdEC7BuNfjgeZ-CA:1592903553233&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=butchers+block&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjPms6TzJfqAhUxoXEKHf9nBUoQ7Al6BAgGEEM&biw=1876&bih=936

You're safe for now.

Well I'm still considering doing a chess board. The trick is how to make 64 consistent tiles?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on June 23, 2020, 12:48:28 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on June 23, 2020, 12:02:36 PM

You're safe for now.

Well I'm still considering doing a chess board. The trick is how to make 64 consistent tiles?

I would take the wimp's way out and either ask one of my local timber suppliers to cut them, because they can do it amazingly accurately, or get our guys to cut them on a CNC machine in the factory.
You will probably say real men do it with their own tools at home!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

i remember when i was a kid in britain hearing that one of the tests for apprentice machinists was to take a piece of metal and file it into a cube by hand. ìcould not do that

your chezsboard is 64 times more d ifficultthan that

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on June 23, 2020, 01:36:07 PM
i remember when i was a kid in britain hearing that one of the tests for apprentice machinists was to take a piece of metal and file it into a cube by hand. ìcould not do that

Not necessarily. For the tiles I just need two strips of different coloured wood of a consistent thickness and width. All I need to do then is cut pieces off them that are the same length as the width.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 23, 2020, 01:47:12 PM

Thanks, but I'm not going to watch this until after I've done mine.  :grin:

Dark Lightning

I didn't watch the video, but if I were to make a chess board I'd make two long sticks that were square in cross section and lop off pieces. Trying to square each piece is for masochists.

billy rubin

Quote from: Tank on June 23, 2020, 02:11:37 PM

Not necessarily. For the tiles I just need two strips of different coloured wood of a consistent thickness and width. All I need to do then is cut pieces off them that are the same length as the width.

so it's only 32 times more difficult?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on June 23, 2020, 02:54:01 PM
I didn't watch the video, but if I were to make a chess board I'd make two long sticks that were square in cross section and lop off pieces. Trying to square each piece is for masochists.

But if you do that the grain is running the wrong way. Anyway I went to the wood supplier and got some plank off cuts. Got some mahogany and oak. Cut the oak into tiles then the mahogany tiles. Found out for some reason the mahogany tiles were smaller than the oak tiles  :o Fortunately I had a lot more oak than mahogany so I did another set of oak tiles.

I have a 1/3 sheet orbital sander. Would I see a better waste removal performance from a random orbit sander? I'm not that fussed about finish as I always finish by hand.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on June 23, 2020, 03:43:43 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 23, 2020, 02:11:37 PM

so it's only 32 times more difficult?

? why ?

I'll glue all the bits together and then finish the top surface and edges.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on June 23, 2020, 06:41:25 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on June 23, 2020, 02:54:01 PM

But if you do that the grain is running the wrong way. Anyway I went to the wood supplier and got some plank off cuts. Got some mahogany and oak. Cut the oak into tiles then the mahogany tiles. Found out for some reason the mahogany tiles were smaller than the oak tiles  :o Fortunately I had a lot more oak than mahogany so I did another set of oak tiles.

I have a 1/3 sheet orbital sander. Would I see a better waste removal performance from a random orbit sander? I'm not that fussed about finish as I always finish by hand.

I happen to like the end grain look. To each their own. If I understand the orbital sander, it spins only, right? If so, I would use the random orbital sander to minimize digging in with the other one.

Tank

Nice little bunch of off cuts for next to nothing.

The back of the board still in pieces. The better faces are obviously on the other side.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on June 23, 2020, 09:43:20 PM
Nice little bunch of off cuts for next to nothing.

The back of the board still in pieces. The better faces are obviously on the other side.

The board is looking good, so far! Is that first piece of wood standing on edge mahogany? That's quite a haul.

Tank

4 pieces of mahogany, 3 pieces of oak (I already had some of that) and two pieces of cedar. And as I make small bits and pieces at the moment to buy pieces (if I could get them) this size it would be exorbitant.