News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on May 28, 2020, 10:44:13 PM
Quote from: Recusant on May 28, 2020, 10:25:34 PM
Neat exercise, and it looks like you achieved your aim. :smilenod:

Yes it did. Learning all the time. :)

Next is mitre joints on all the edges!

What kind of saw will you be using to cut the miters?

hermes2015

Good job! Will you stain and varnish it, or give it a paint job?

I use one of these straight flush trimming router bits to make the job of sanding the slight overlaps of the edges easier. If you own  a router, it's a worthwhile investment.

https://youtu.be/wm576bsYPps

Is there a smaller die hidden inside? That would make it a Russian loaded die.
"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 28, 2020, 10:53:25 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 28, 2020, 10:44:13 PM
Quote from: Recusant on May 28, 2020, 10:25:34 PM
Neat exercise, and it looks like you achieved your aim. :smilenod:

Yes it did. Learning all the time. :)

Next is mitre joints on all the edges!

What kind of saw will you be using to cut the miters?


Good question. I wish I knew the answer! Any suggestions?

I do have a mitre saw, it's buried among the clamps to the left of this picture. However the dice dimensions were pretty much on the lowest limit of its capabilities. It's also easy to do the first two (possible 3) mitres but the forth could be difficult with the saw. So I'm open to suggestions :)

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 29, 2020, 05:00:39 AM
Good job! Will you stain and varnish it, or give it a paint job?

Don't know yet but probably not this piece. Still learning about the mechanics of the wood and glue at this point.

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 29, 2020, 05:00:39 AM
I use one of these straight flush trimming router bits to make the job of sanding the slight overlaps of the edges easier. If you own  a router, it's a worthwhile investment.

I have a router but it's not a table router. However it's going to be my next experiment :)

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 29, 2020, 05:00:39 AM
Is there a smaller die hidden inside? That would make it a Russian loaded die.

There is a six sided core, but that is now glued firmly inside and is part of the structure. The faces are glued to it and each other.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on May 29, 2020, 06:15:07 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on May 29, 2020, 05:00:39 AM
I use one of these straight flush trimming router bits to make the job of sanding the slight overlaps of the edges easier. If you own  a router, it's a worthwhile investment.

I have a router but it's not a table router. However it's going to be my next experiment :)

I only have a hand-held el cheapo Bosch POF 400 router, but it works for my projects.
"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 29, 2020, 07:34:37 AM
Quote from: Tank on May 29, 2020, 06:15:07 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on May 29, 2020, 05:00:39 AM
I use one of these straight flush trimming router bits to make the job of sanding the slight overlaps of the edges easier. If you own  a router, it's a worthwhile investment.

I have a router but it's not a table router. However it's going to be my next experiment :)

I only have a hand-held el cheapo Bosch POF 400 router, but it works for my projects.

Without checking I think I have the same router!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on May 28, 2020, 07:16:23 PM
...

Assembled after finishing


All glued.
Good practice :)

That's really good! 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey


Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on May 29, 2020, 06:03:11 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 28, 2020, 10:53:25 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 28, 2020, 10:44:13 PM
Quote from: Recusant on May 28, 2020, 10:25:34 PM
Neat exercise, and it looks like you achieved your aim. :smilenod:

Yes it did. Learning all the time. :)

Next is mitre joints on all the edges!

What kind of saw will you be using to cut the miters?


Good question. I wish I knew the answer! Any suggestions?

I do have a mitre saw, it's buried among the clamps to the left of this picture. However the dice dimensions were pretty much on the lowest limit of its capabilities. It's also easy to do the first two (possible 3) mitres but the forth could be difficult with the saw. So I'm open to suggestions :)



If it were me, I'd buy a block the size I needed or just cut a cube from a larger piece. I guess the original intent was to figure out some building details so that ultimately you wouldn't be seeing any end grain? There's a guy at the posted website who came up with a slick way of making a box that folds up. If you don't want the die hollow, use some wood with little figure, like lime, and then drill the holes and drip in colored epoxy. The epoxy will fill the holes and have a meniscus, which might be an interesting feature. I'd also use a drill template so that the wood on the faces doesn't tear out when the drill bites. Or use brad-point bits. Do you have a drill press?

Here's a link to his example of making a box with miters and then gluing it and folding it closed.

https://www.lumberjocks.com/BritBoxmaker/blog/17048

That guy is absolute aces at making intricate wood boxes. I'm not even close to that good, sadly.

What is you ultimate intent with the dice, if I may ask?

BTW, I post there as Dark_Lightning. Imagine that. :)

hermes2015

Thanks, DL, that looks like a site I would want to explore, even to just get ideas!

Tank, I have something you may consider making: a Yoshimoto cube. It looks like a party trick, but it is real and can be made out of wood if one is patient enough. It's been on my list for a while, but I am probably too klutzy for something this refined.



There are many other videos on Yoshimoto cubes on YouTube, some with instructions.
"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Self quarantine in my garage workshop  keeps me doing fun stuff while neglecting the minor repairs that my house needs.


Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 30, 2020, 01:32:01 AM
...
If it were me, I'd buy a block the size I needed or just cut a cube from a larger piece. I guess the original intent was to figure out some building details so that ultimately you wouldn't be seeing any end grain?

The dice was a practice piece to experiment with materials, 90° angles and PVA glue. Creating the dice was just a target.

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 30, 2020, 01:32:01 AM
There's a guy at the posted website who came up with a slick way of making a box that folds up. If you don't want the die hollow, use some wood with little figure, like lime, and then drill the holes and drip in colored epoxy. The epoxy will fill the holes and have a meniscus, which might be an interesting feature.

This dice wasn't hollow because I wanted to see how small a cube I could make with the saw I have. And then that cube formed the core to fix the faces to. It also meant that the faces had a back which would support the dowel 'dots'.

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 30, 2020, 01:32:01 AM
I'd also use a drill template so that the wood on the faces doesn't tear out when the drill bites. Or use brad-point bits. Do you have a drill press?

I have some 3mm aluminium plate which i could use to make a temple. I have a 6mm spade bit on order. I don't have a drill press at the moment. I'm looking at a Clarke 12 speed at £180. But I'm torn between that and a powered mitre saw for about £100. Cost isn't a particular issue, but space is. I think the drill press will have to fixed while I could move the saw around when I need it.

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 30, 2020, 01:32:01 AM
Here's a link to his example of making a box with miters and then gluing it and folding it closed.

https://www.lumberjocks.com/BritBoxmaker/blog/17048

That guy is absolute aces at making intricate wood boxes. I'm not even close to that good, sadly.

Thanks I shall watch that with interest.

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 30, 2020, 01:32:01 AM
What is you ultimate intent with the dice, if I may ask?

Just a test/practice  piece

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 30, 2020, 01:32:01 AM
BTW, I post there as Dark_Lightning. Imagine that. :)

I may see you there. Thanks for your input :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 30, 2020, 05:02:21 AM
Thanks, DL, that looks like a site I would want to explore, even to just get ideas!

Tank, I have something you may consider making: a Yoshimoto cube. It looks like a party trick, but it is real and can be made out of wood if one is patient enough. It's been on my list for a while, but I am probably too klutzy for something this refined.



There are many other videos on Yoshimoto cubes on YouTube, some with instructions.

I shall watch the with interest.

The problem I have at the moment is finding a source of the right specialist tools and materials. I have found a cabinet maker tool supplier. But wood is a bit more problematic at the moment.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on May 30, 2020, 05:45:36 AM
Self quarantine in my garage workshop  keeps me doing fun stuff while neglecting the minor repairs that my house needs.

:rofl: You too!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

The result of Hermes suggestion. Looking forward to doing Dice V2 :D


The router


Table finished router not fitted


Assembled underside


Assembled top


Router head detail


The result of testing!  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Mine is the 400 A, but looks almost identical — probably not as powerful as your 500. I like your setup! Dave would have been impressed.
"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames