News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Well, the B&D Workmate is nowhere near heavy enough to function as a bench for woodworking and the bench vise on my bench in the shed doesn't work well at all either. So I guess I'm going to be scrounging for two by fours to make a laminate top and rig something up for legs.

I also need a proper vise which I can get delivered for about $20. It looks like the Workmate is going back to a dedicated grinder stand. I would just mount a woodworking vise to the heavier bench but I suspect my collection of rust and grease may not be conductive to furniture making either. Metal filings might cause issues as well.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on April 01, 2018, 05:05:54 PM
Well, the B&D Workmate is nowhere near heavy enough to function as a bench for woodworking and the bench vise on my bench in the shed doesn't work well at all either. So I guess I'm going to be scrounging for two by fours to make a laminate top and rig something up for legs.

I also need a proper vise which I can get delivered for about $20. It looks like the Workmate is going back to a dedicated grinder stand. I would just mount a woodworking vise to the heavier bench but I suspect my collection of rust and grease may not be conductive to furniture making either. Metal filings might cause issues as well.
That sort of thing was/is my problem - need a range of worshops for art/electronics, wordworking, mechanical stuff . . . Instead I hafe one sude of the living space and a very crowded attic with a Workmate wnd where I can't do hammering over a thin 1" nail! But screws are good, I sometimes have to have things in bits to get them down through the hatch!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

Whatever happened to the garage club Dave?

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on April 01, 2018, 06:28:34 PM
Whatever happened to the garage club Dave?

Will have to think about that. It was bitterly cold when I went there, portable cabin balanced on railway sleepers in a field with no heating and no power other than an almost dead 2kW genny that they were building a "kennel" for so they could use it when it was raining. It was just enough to get the kettle going though the speed and output frequency/power dropped! The eight blokes there and the benches filled the place up. No where to keep projects being built, their "charity" work took priority, reasonably.

Also, at that time, I was having mobility problems. They had only recently moved in, maybe more organised now but it is not that secure and in an industrial zone known for vandalism and theft.

jumbojak

I've found a better way than sanding to remove ten years of weathering on the teak bench. I'll still have to sand into the corners but the majority is coming out rather nicely with a no. 4.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on April 04, 2018, 02:44:09 AM

I've found a better way than sanding to remove ten years of weathering on the teak bench. I'll still have to sand into the corners but the majority is coming out rather nicely with a no. 4.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever. I get so much pleasure from looking at beautiful objects - I guess I am an inveterate materialist. Perhaps I should start a thread on physical things that move me, similar to the Music that moves me one?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

You should Hermes. I'd probably join in. The things that move me tend to be a bit... odd, at least by most people's standards, but I do enjoy looking at them.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on April 04, 2018, 05:16:20 AM
You should Hermes. I'd probably join in. The things that move me tend to be a bit... odd, at least by most people's standards, but I do enjoy looking at them.

I'll see later today. It will be quite a fruit salad of things I love, mainly by star designers, so maybe it will not go down too well.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

My fsther used to have a 1.5" bullnose plane that could get up to within 1/8th of an inch of a corner. It was not pretty and weighed a lot,  being a blacksmith he had made it himself. Along with the set of small to tiny "violin" type planes he had I have often wished that I had been able to inherit them.

jumbojak

Bit more progress in the shop. We cleared a bunch of termite infested lumber out and built a floating bench, both to work on and to serve as temporary organization. We should have some pegboard by the end of the week, which will help a lot. Power should be run soon too.

This is what we pulled out. It was a full stack of poplar boards. Now it looks like fossilized life collected somewhere out west...

We really need a shop cat though. The mice have developed quite a nest in there. Maybe Bruno can find us one. Preferably an older tomcat, wiry and mean.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on April 11, 2018, 12:37:18 AM

Bit more progress in the shop. We cleared a bunch of termite infested lumber out and built a floating bench, both to work on and to serve as temporary organization. We should have some pegboard by the end of the week, which will help a lot. Power should be run soon too.

This is what we pulled out. It was a full stack of poplar boards. Now it looks like fossilized life collected somewhere out west...

We really need a shop cat though. The mice have developed quite a nest in there. Maybe Bruno can find us one. Preferably an older tomcat, wiry and mean.

This is so interesting, I wish I could sign up as a volunteer assistant. Keep the photos coming.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Loving this jj, watching this progress.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

I think that today, aside from more general cleanup I'll try to work out a temporary foot to support the center section of the floating bench. Tying the three boards together will be easy enough but there needs to be a bit of support going to the ground as well. If I had a screw jack it'd be easy but either way it needs to avoid a permanent post so we have access to put in gravel for the floor. Concrete may wind up waiting a while.

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on April 11, 2018, 02:14:11 PM
I think that today, aside from more general cleanup I'll try to work out a temporary foot to support the center section of the floating bench. Tying the three boards together will be easy enough but there needs to be a bit of support going to the ground as well. If I had a screw jack it'd be easy but either way it needs to avoid a permanent post so we have access to put in gravel for the floor. Concrete may wind up waiting a while.

Sounds like that ancient, but efficient, device - the wedge - could be employed here. Or a pair of them under an upright. With suitable foot and head plates that gives adjustment and a judiciously place screw or four will hold it all together.

Much under appreciated is the wedge, wasted just holding doors open. A friend, who's NGO work took him to rather rough areas, kept one in his suitcase for added security in hotels - kept the door closed a little longer in this case!