News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on February 26, 2021, 07:30:45 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 26, 2021, 09:51:44 AM

Wow! I really like them.
Do you sell them?

I don't go out of my way to sell them. I have sold one to a very persistent person :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on February 26, 2021, 07:54:06 PM

Wow! I really like them.
Do you sell them?

I don't go out of my way to sell them. I have sold one to a very persistent person :)
For how much would you sell one of them?
I like those boxes, I have this kind of wooden boxes from El Salvador:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Randy

Well done, Tank. That is some talent and skill.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on February 27, 2021, 12:25:08 AM
Quote from: Tank on February 26, 2021, 07:54:06 PM

Wow! I really like them.
Do you sell them?

For how much would you sell one of them?
I like those boxes, I have this kind of wooden boxes from El Salvador:

They're pretty :)

Well the one I sold I insisted the lady who wanted it saw it before she paid for it because I had no idea what to ask for it. So I sent it to her. It cost £5 postage and she paid me £25 for it. Which was quite generous. I'd have been happy with £15.

Bad Penny II

Well, previously I had a detached retina repaired and the process caused a cataract and I just had that fixed, hopefully.

Removing the lens for the repaired eye from your glasses and wearing sunglasses  for a while is recommended.

I've got prescription sunglasses but removing the lens from the offending eye leaves it open to bothersome light.
How do you solve such a dilemma?
Dental floss?...
Zactly.

I happened to have the lenses from a pair of Boles that the optometrist people gave me when i had prescription lenses fitted.

Why did I keep them?
Well they don't take up much room.
I might meet Jesus in the checkout queue.

I remove the lens from the cheap glasses that I wasn't going to have for long before Covid happened.

I drill holes in the original pretty blue Bole lens and attach it with dental floss to my cheapo glasses.  It even has that oh so elegant hinge function, if you want all the light.
Don't think I'm cheaping out here, the dental floss was unused, not recycled.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

You should make some incense boxes as well. They will be a hit at some fairs.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 27, 2021, 11:07:29 AM

Hmmmm. I'll have a go at that.

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 27, 2021, 11:07:29 AM

That's an excellent idea.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on February 27, 2021, 08:51:13 AM

Well the one I sold I insisted the lady who wanted it saw it before she paid for it because I had no idea what to ask for it. So I sent it to her. It cost £5 postage and she paid me £25 for it. Which was quite generous. I'd have been happy with £15.
So, about, $35.00?

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on February 28, 2021, 12:31:29 AM
Quote from: Tank on February 27, 2021, 08:51:13 AM

So, about, $35.00?
Yes.

Bad Penny II

I had a cheap 10" tablet from China that even had phone function, (that I didn't use).
It was a major leap on the old tablet I'd been using as an Ebook reader.
You could even access the internet.
Unfortunately I put it on the drivers seat, not the passenger seat of my car in my then dark garage.
And I sat on it.
So the sensor screen thingo was all cracked.
I got a new 8" tablet that I've been using for a year.
Anyway after leaving 10" in a draw for months I ordered a replacement part from China for about AUD $15 US $12.
Original device AUD $120 US95, I judged it worth the risk of throwing good pennies after bad.
It arrives, not promptly, I replaced the cracked thing.
It works, after a fashion.
I Googled and Duck Ducked, no I Duck Ducked and then Googled.
I think the proportion of people that would  do it the other way would be exceedingly small, anyway I digress.
No my problem isn't just an X axis, oh for a mere X axis problem.
In a 10 by 10 grid, A1 will be J10, so not mirrored, maybe I could get used to mirrored.
B4 is going to be I7, that will take some getting used to.
I've got an adapter thing to plug a keyboard/mouse in that works but, not convenient.
So words appear as they should, not back to front, where you touch the screen isn't interpreted how a civilised Christian tablet would.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

I had to replace my attic ladder. It's recommended as a two person job, but I'm only me so I had to get a little creative for some of the stuff.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

hermes2015

Henry O. Studley, tool chest holding around 300 tools; made of rosewood, ebony, ivory and mother of pearl, late 19th century, USA. The set is fixed to the wall and opens like a book.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames