News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Sapelle, Meranti, Luan, and Ocumee are similar woods and all of then have open grain that is a bitch to fill.  They are attractive when nicely finished.

Keep up the good work Tank. You have done an admirable job of box making. ....And keep your fingers out of the saw blade, chisels, plane irons and such.

You are absolutely right about sandpaper. Cheap stuff is near worthless and premium quality sandpaper is scandalously expensive.  The Finns make some pretty decent sandpaper under the names Mirka and Bulldog.  Japanese sandpaper is good. It has names like Eagle Brand.  Probably the most expensive is 3M brand but it is consistently better than most.  Also the American brand, Norton, is very good quality.............and expensive of course.  Norton makes a foam sanding pad that is very durable, works exceptionally well on curved or rounded surfaces, and cost a princes ransom but worth the price.  It can be used wet or dry.

Tank

3m and Norton are both brands I have tried that are very good.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Never mind.   I am still struggling with the simple act of posting a picture.  Here is what I have done.....

[img]https://www.imgur.com P1020822jpg[img]  What I have I failed to do or did I do the wrong thing?

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on July 25, 2020, 09:18:23 PM

I have, once more, summoned the courage to attempt posting a picture.

For somebody as technically competent as you I have absolutely no idea how you manage not to be able to post a picture!!!! :rofl:

Where do you copy the link from?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

Quote from: Tank on July 25, 2020, 07:39:45 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on July 25, 2020, 06:38:51 PM
do you use boiled or unboiled linseed oil?

Unboiled. Have you used both?

no only boiled.

its a customary treatment for beehives because theyre always outside. boiled linseed oil won't cause the wood to swell. unboiled linseed oil used to be a bodge on restoring the wooden wheels of old automobiles. you soaked em in it and they swelled up tight again. stayed tight as long as you kept up with the treatment, like armor all.

the way the boled stuff is used is to have a metal trough built over a fire or a gas ring, and you heat the oil until its super hot. then float the wooden beehive parts in it. they soak up the material but for some reason don't swell up, and so you can assemble normally. used this way it isn't a surface finish, its a preservative, like copper naphanate, except less toxic. you buy it labelled boiled already.if you dont heat it up only a little soaks in.

this is one of thosethings beekeepers do outside because so many people set their warehouses on fire doig this and wax rendering.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

No one

Anyone have a workshop, or fixit stuff to overhaul America's idiot in chief issues?

Dark Lightning

Quote from: No one on July 26, 2020, 02:18:45 AM
Anyone have a workshop, or fixit stuff to overhaul America's idiot in chief issues?

That thing is totalled, and beyond repair. It should be hauled away and fed to the hogs, and then the hogs should be cremated. And the smoke captured and put in the deepest pit on the planet, which is apparently in that idiot's controller's country, Russia.  >:( Need one ask again what my feelings are?  :D

No one

So you're saying, there's a chance?

hermes2015

I like the seamless look when the box is closed. I have only used raw linseed oil on wood.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on July 26, 2020, 12:09:28 AM
https://i.imgur.com/TatX691.jpg

Bingo! I can see that link.

When I put the [img][/img] Tags around it this is what you get.

What is that? It looks like some sort of sharpening device?

Tank

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on July 26, 2020, 06:53:04 AM

It is easier to interpret if you rotate the photo 90° to the right.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Started this at 9:15 and finished at 15:30 including an hour off for lunch :)

1. The block is the dimensions of the internal space I wanted in the box. Building the box around the block means you only have to do one set of accurate dimensions. From then on everything is built relative to the block.

2. The 6 faces of the box rough cut and surrounding the block

3. With the lid open

4. Marked up so I can sand down the inside faces of the tiles that make up the box. Much easier to do this now then when the box is assembled.

5. Assembling parts of the box around the block.

6. Assembling the sub assemblies.

7. The completed carcase of the box with the front face sanded flat.

8. The back of the carcase where all the rough cutting tolerances accumulate. I cut the back flat with a single pass of a mitre saw.

9. Finished down to 600 grit on all faces. The box was made to hold the dice tiles.

10. Detail of the lid hinge. Two bits of brass rod.

11. Finished with linseed oil.

12. Finished with dice tiles inside.

Icarus

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 26, 2020, 08:37:46 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 26, 2020, 06:53:04 AM

It is easier to interpret if you rotate the photo 90° to the right.

On another thread I had said that I was buying a Heim Joint. Someone asked what that is. It can be seen at the left side of the pic, attached to an aluminum block which can be moved up or down the vertical post.

The purpose of the mechanism is to sharpen knives or other cutting tools. The dark colored item nearest the lower edge of the pic is merely a block of wood that can slide along the longer rod if desired.  The square section of the block has different grades of wet-or- dry sandpaper glued in place.  The height adjustment of the Heim Joint allows precise adjustment of the sharpening angle of the knife.  Most kitchen knives use 15 degree angle. Larger ones such a cleavers typically use 20 degrees.  Plane irons and chisels may have various angles.  It is difficult to maintain a perfectly straight angle when hand sharpening in the usual way. 

The gadget can sharpen edges with great precision.  Move the block sideways, or alternatively, along the long rod axis.  This tool can make knives scary sharp and do it easily with a high degree of accuracy.  The Heim Joint allows movement of the block in any direction while holding the selected angle of block to blade.  The thing is not only practical but fun to use, and easy to build.  There are several variations for building this tool on You Tube.  Most of them use only wooden parts to duplicate the differential pivot motion. 

There is a world of difference between slicing a tomato with a dull knife or a very sharp one.  Sharp tools are decidedly less likely to cause personal injury than dull ones.