News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 05, 2021, 11:21:44 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 05, 2021, 10:23:54 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 05, 2021, 08:03:27 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 05, 2021, 07:50:11 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 05, 2021, 06:57:04 PM
What's that I hear? Mag's birthday was yesterday?

Happy Belated Birthday, Mags! :hug: I hope you had a great one!  :cheers:
Thank you, Fernandita. :hug:
We're both January girls.  :smug:

January girls are the best.  :smug:
Yes, yes we are. :smug:

:grin:

:grin:

I just realized Sandra Craft is also a January girl!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on January 09, 2021, 03:03:19 AM

Yep, two more days and I'll be 66.  Just 600 more years to go.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on January 09, 2021, 05:52:45 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 09, 2021, 03:03:19 AM

Yep, two more days and I'll be 66.  Just 600 more years to go.

Yay Sandy!  :dance:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Yesterday while I was melting on my bed with a fan pushing 40°C air onto my face I was reminiscing about good ol' times in High School. Good ol' times.

Memories of my first sophomore English class

The new teacher walked in the classroom on the first day. He was a man in his forties. His smooth clothes had been ironed out and not a strand of hair was out of place, which contrasted with the conspicuous white chalk marks on the pockets of his blue jeans. Maybe an oddball, I thought. I like oddballs.

It would have been a redeeming quality if he had been a bit on the silly side because generally I abhor English classes and having a silly teacher would make the year a little more bearable.

Without trying to say anything louder than the deafening chatter in the room he wrote his name on the blackboard, turned around and stared at the class until everybody settled in their seats. When the noise died down he scanned the room until his eyes rested on me. I was sitting somewhere in the second or third row, looking back at him.

"YOU!", he yelled, pointing a chalk stained finger at me.  :palpatine:

I was taken aback.

"I can see you're afraid! But no need to be scared, English is easier than you think!"

Without pause for thought, I replied, "Don't worry, I'm not afraid."  :folded:

He ignored me and went into the hardcore English stuff: how to formulate questions in English using irregular verbs. The moment he mispronounced 'read' in, "Have you read ("reed" and not "red") the book?" I just put my head on my desk and fell asleep. It was a long year.  :twitch:

To this day, I wonder why he thought I was afraid of very basic English class. Maybe my wide googly eyes gave him that impression? :notsure:

Davin

A lot of people think they can red other people by their body language and behaviors. I think that even assuming that the people they are reding are typical people they tend to either be vague, saying the obvious, or more commonly just wrong. Like the dude will never be able to red you very well, we'll never know what leed him to thinking you were afraid.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on January 12, 2021, 02:00:12 PM
A lot of people think they can red other people by their body language and behaviors. I think that even assuming that the people they are reding are typical people they tend to either be vague, saying the obvious, or more commonly just wrong. Like the dude will never be able to red you very well, we'll never know what leed him to thinking you were afraid.

Heh, yeah.  ;D

Maybe he just confused boredom with fear, we will never know. :grin:

(As a side note, I wasn't offended or anything that he thought I was afraid. I thought it was sorta funny because mispronunciation issues aside, his English wasn't all that great.

Ever had a teacher who didn't know their own subject very well? What do you do in that situation?

xSilverPhinx

I was also thinking about foreign accents. When I was an undergrad there where whispers of this professor who had "a perfect British accent". Some students were amazed at how she could pull it off, being a non-native speaker of English. I never interacted directly with her, but I knew who she was and overheard her teaching her class once when I was walking down the hall. 

She did not have anything near a British (I think she was trying to sound English?) accent. Instead, what came out of her mouth was a forced, almost cartoony impersonation. I don't get it. Why even do that? Why not just own your foreign accent without trying to sound like a native speaker?

Anyway, I was thinking a lot about these these yesterday. I think it's because my brain is fried.  :P

Davin

When talking to people with accents (different from mine), I do a dumb thing where I start to mimic their accents... but not that well. It's difficult for me to prevent myself from doing it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: Davin on January 12, 2021, 04:09:47 PM
When talking to people with accents (different from mine), I do a dumb thing where I start to mimic their accents... but not that well. It's difficult for me to prevent myself from doing it.

Do you have a posh phone voice? I have known a few people that go all 'royal' when they phone somebody :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

That's interesting! I'm the opposite, when I moved south I took forever to start speaking a bit like the locals, and even so I still retain a lot of my original accent.  ;D

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 12, 2021, 02:21:23 PM
Why even do that? Why not just own your foreign accent without trying to sound like a native speaker?

I don't know, I think most people find others accents charming.  Maybe it's being able to feel you've mastered a language to that degree?

At my step-mother's father's memorial service there were two priests, one of whom was originally from Spain.  During his part of the service, he kept pronouncing "sheep" as "ship" -- it was wonderful.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on January 12, 2021, 10:56:52 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 12, 2021, 02:21:23 PM
Why even do that? Why not just own your foreign accent without trying to sound like a native speaker?

I don't know, I think most people find others accents charming.  Maybe it's being able to feel you've mastered a language to that degree?

At my step-mother's father's memorial service there were two priests, one of whom was originally from Spain.  During his part of the service, he kept pronouncing "sheep" as "ship" -- it was wonderful.

Probably is, but I think without an accent coach or phonologist and a lot of effort non-native speakers of languages don't ever lose their foreign accents, especially if the phonetics of their mother tongue are different. There is going to be a residual accent, and that's ok...not something to be ashamed of. 

billy rubin

Quote from: Sandra Craft on January 12, 2021, 10:56:52 PM

3:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aObBk_FdzCA

set the function, not the mechanism.

Davin

Quote from: Tank on January 12, 2021, 04:53:27 PM

Do you have a posh phone voice? I have known a few people that go all 'royal' when they phone somebody :D
I don't think I do. Every time I notice I'm doing it, I feel like they think I'm making fun of them because it's so bad.

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 12, 2021, 06:39:16 PM

That's interesting! I'm the opposite, when I moved south I took forever to start speaking a bit like the locals, and even so I still retain a lot of my original accent.  ;D
I wish I were like that. Instead I have to try real hard to not sound like I'm mocking people.

xSilverPhinx

Today, just to see how easily I could get away with it, I made funny faces under my mask. No one seemed to notice the alternating crooked smile, poked out tongue, puckered lips and bared teeth. Win.  ;D