News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Happy T-Day

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, November 25, 2020, 10:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

May you all have a Happy Thanksgiving, even if your country does not celebrate it tomorrow.  Even a sucky year like 2020 has a silver lining.  Stay safe and alive, and be thankful!!

Dark Lightning

Happy T-Day to you, too! We're all staying home here. Wife is roasting turkey, one son is going to smoke some- half each. I'll have to make the horrible decision as to whether I should eat the smoked drumstick first, or the roasted one.  :chin:

billy rubin

my lovely wife is cooking down a big skillet of tofu as i zpeak

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Here's to a happy and safe T day for all my fellow HAFers.   :let'seat:

Sandra Craft

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.  Making stuffed acorn squash and cranberry sauce for myself tomorrow, pumpkin pie already made because I just can't wait for that.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Randy

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, Stuff yourselves silly!

I won't be celebrating. I'm connected to a feeding pump and may start my new chemotherapy drugs tomorrow. Still, I'll enjoy the sight and the smells from the kitchen. :)
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Ecurb Noselrub

Randy, I'm so sorry.  You are a brave soul and I wish you the best.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

And in other news my twins are 34 years old today!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

All year long, the turkey goes gobble, gobble, gobble. But on Thanksgiving day, it's our turn to say, gobble, gobble, gobble.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on November 26, 2020, 07:25:51 AM

Good job, I've kept my daughters alive by wishing it so on many a wishbone over the years.  Younger daughter was saying she didn't know how she didn't have a spill on her bike, but I know, it's the wishbones.  Anyway happy TTTTT day, Tank Thirty Three Thousand Turkey day.

Oddly enough I actually had turkey for dinner, I bought 4x 1kg boxes of turkey thigh last week for $10 each.  Chicken thigh fillets are commonly $11kg, breast a bit less, I much prefer thigh.  A box of Turkey breast was more than thigh, why is this so?  Anyway it was quite tasty, just the normal 1 1/2 hour baking time and the turkey killing people were good enough to add some herbs.

Do you think you should have mentioned you considered cutting your toe nails today but decided to defer to tomorrow?

No, do you think I should have?  No, I'll wait until I've actually cut them.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: No one on November 26, 2020, 07:58:15 AM
All year long, the turkey goes gobble, gobble, gobble. But on Thanksgiving day, it's our turn to say, gobble, gobble, gobble.

It's a wildebeest tradition is it?

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Happy Thanksgiving, folks! :grin: Just a normal day for me.  ;)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on November 26, 2020, 07:25:51 AM

Happy Birthday to them!   :cheerleader: :dancinggirl:
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

The pie is the thing. Yes OK the people, but still, the pie.  :smilenod:

Some history, for those who aren't bored by history. I'll note the loose usage of nearby in the first paragraph. The Mayflower didn't just divert a bit, she was significantly off course. The landing at Plymouth was some 725km/450 miles from the original destination in Virginia. I have an American sense of geographic distance but even so, saying that Plymouth was "nearby" to the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay seems quaint at best.  :maskwink:

"How America Outgrew the Pilgrims" | Politico

QuoteFour hundred years ago this month, the Mayflower, carrying over 100 passengers plus crew, dropped anchor near Cape Cod after a perilous, two-month voyage. Of those on board, roughly half were Puritan separatists—dissenters who broke away from the Church of England and hoped to establish a new society rooted in what they believed to be authentic Christian worship. Cape Cod was neither their original nor final destination. Bound originally for Virginia, where they had been invited by local authorities to form their community, the "Pilgrims" experienced trouble navigating the rough currents of the Atlantic and instead made their way to nearby Plymouth, where they first set foot on December 11. The rest is history.

Given the central position the Plymouth landing long played in American public memory, it's telling that the 400th anniversary has gone by largely unnoticed. Not so last year's 400th anniversary of slavery's roots in North America. The New York Times' 1619 Project excited tremendous controversy because it challenged established narratives that date the founding of America's political development and character to 1620 or 1776. To be sure, some conservative voices have seized on this year's anniversary to counter the Times' undertaking, but for the most part, they seem to be shouting into a void. Relative to the debate over 1619, there's been little fanfare and even less debate.

How is that possible? These are the same Pilgrims who, the year after their arrival, enjoyed the first American Thanksgiving meal with their neighbors from the Wampanoag nation—an event steeped in lore and closely associated with one of the country's most beloved holidays. The same Pilgrims who signed the Mayflower Compact, which arguably planted the first democratic seeds in New World. The same Pilgrims who transported a strain of Christian millennialism to America that influenced the development of political culture throughout the United States.

In some ways, the quiet passing of this event right-sized the role of the Pilgrims. The colony they established, Plymouth, was a small, struggling outpost that never achieved the prosperity or influence of its close cousin, the Massachusetts Bay Colony, settled 10 years later by nonseparatist Puritans. It ceased to exist by 1691. Puritanism—both in Plymouth and Massachusetts Bay—fell into a state of decline within a generation of each colony's founding. Ultimately, the political and religious culture the Pilgrims and Puritans built had little to do with the nation we became—it shaped neither the republican revolution against Parliament and Crown in the 18th century nor America's evolution into a diverse and boisterous democracy in the 19th century. Unlike 1619 and 1776—the latter, a landmark moment in the nation's political development; the former, the nation's original sin—the Plymouth landing was always more durable in memory than in influence.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken