News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Your next car... gas, hybrid or electric?

Started by AlP, February 12, 2010, 07:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elliebean

Rather than placing solar panels on cars, why not car ports? better yet, car parks? Charge up while you go about your business.  :)
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

AlP

Quote from: "elliebean"Rather than placing solar panels on cars, why not car ports? better yet, car parks? Charge up while you go about your business.  Google does that for it's fleet of cars.

Somebody would have to pay for it. I suppose it's an extension of the idea of paying for a parking space.

What would be the motivation for the garage operators to use solar power over whatever the cheapest electricity they can find is? User pays more for the green option? They can also house more cars if the roof isn't covered in solar panels. I suppose the solar panels could be on legs with the cars underneath.

Making the idea overcomplicated... I wonder if the electrical power could be transferred to the car by induction? That way there would be no pesky cables.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Whitney

Quote from: "elliebean"Rather than placing solar panels on cars, why not car ports? better yet, car parks? Charge up while you go about your business.  :)

They already have those placed sporadically in some large cities...Dallas apparently isn't one of them though.  I saw a few in Portland, Or.