News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Your Feedback on My Answer

Started by Kylyssa, July 02, 2009, 07:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylyssa

I've got this "Ask an Atheist" page set up and I recently answered a new question.

I've gotten an email saying that the answer I gave is extremely arrogant and stupid.  I don't always do the best with tone and sometimes come off a little patronizing in some cases.  I would greatly appreciate your eyes on my answer to see if the tone is OK.  

"What was Before the Big Bang and What Prompted It?"

:hmm:

Kylyssa

Oh, and don't click on any of the green hotlinks on the page - it's something Squidoo is testing but it's buggy right now and won't let you navigate back easily.

Whitney

Quote from: "Kylyssa"I've gotten an email saying that the answer I gave is extremely arrogant and stupid.  

If by arrogant and stupid the person really meant to say straightforward and honest...I agree  :D  

Wouldn't it be arrogant and stupid to claim that we do know and that the answer is that the God loves us so much that he made all that exists just for us to do as we please with?  I honestly don't see how your answer was in any way inappropriate or wrong...I think it offended someone's personal god of gaps belief.

McQ

Looks fine to me. The only thing I thought might be changed is that I think you should use the word "it" for mankind instead of "he". But I'm no writer, so don't go by me. It just looked funny to me.

Otherwise, it's a great answer.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Kylyssa

Quote from: "McQ"Looks fine to me. The only thing I thought might be changed is that I think you should use the word "it" for mankind instead of "he". But I'm no writer, so don't go by me. It just looked funny to me.

Otherwise, it's a great answer.

Thank you!  Yep, the 'he' looks weird.

Will

It was neither arrogant nor stupid, though the emailer is certainly striving for each of those labels.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

curiosityandthecat

Looks fine to me. Pay no attention to the whining of people whose views are under criticism: it's just whining.

I think we need an Atheism 101 lecture series or something.  :yay:
-Curio

Heretical Rants

Your answer on the Big Bang is fine.   You really just reiterate the meaning of science.

Quote from: "some lady on squidoo"Why is there a percentage of atheists (growing percentage, it appears) which is hell-bent (no pun intended) on attacking believers and removing from us our right to worship provided that we do it peacefully?
I don't think anyone wants to take that right away.  

Even the "militant atheists" and "antitheists" (like myself) wish to get rid of supernatural thinking, not through violence, but education.