News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

You're going to Hell!

Started by EvolutionCalling, June 25, 2008, 03:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvolutionCalling

Do you get that reaction from a lot of Christians?  It's usually one the first things they manage to utter when I tell them I am an Atheist.  

I was in a truck stop the other day and a church group was stopped there as well.  Their van had a flat tire, so while waiting for it to be fixed they thought they had found the perfect opportunity to do God's work and began milling around witnessing (harassing  :hmm:

Weirdos.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "EvolutionCalling"Do you get that reaction from a lot of Christians?  It's usually one the first things they manage to utter when I tell them I am an Atheist.  

I was in a truck stop the other day and a church group was stopped there as well.  Their van had a flat tire, so while waiting for it to be fixed they thought they had found the perfect opportunity to do God's work and began milling around witnessing (harassing  :hmm:

Weirdos.

Pretty common here to.Them crazy people.Haha wish I could have seen their faces when you made the dino comment. :crazy:

karadan

Haha!

I wish i had the oppertunity to say something like that to a christian nutter. Given the opportunity, i'd actually probably bail out politely - such is my silly British need to not embarrass/cause a scene...
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

weedoch

Quote from: "karadan"I wish i had the oppertunity to say something like that to a christian nutter. Given the opportunity, i'd actually probably bail out politely - such is my silly British need to not embarrass/cause a scene...

What's with us Brits and not causing a scene? I've decided that instead of feeling like I'm a chicken I shall instead think of myself as simply modelling good behaviour! I did once make a Jehovah's Witness cry though - she was sad that I didn't care enough about my childrens' souls to prepare them for the coming apocalypse. Odd.

MariaEvri

fortunately I dont have that kind of an experience. I only told one of my freinds that I'm an atheist, and although she didnt like it, she accepted it.
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

susangail

I've never had this happen to me personally (I've only got one foot out of the closet) but I've heard stories.

Quote from: "EvolutionCalling"Now, if I don't believe in God I'd say it's a pretty safe bet I don't believe in Hell.  So why do they say that like it's going to shock me into converting from my heathen ways?   :hmm:

Weirdos.
I've always wondered why they think that will convert an atheist. Even when I was a Christian it didn't make sense.
And heaven as an incentive? Worship a god I don't believe in for all eternity.... nope, not buying it.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

crocofish

One of my dad's sisters is Southern Baptist, and she would tell my mom that she was going to Hell for not going to church.  She wouldn't say it in an aggressive way like some religious extremists, but there was that constant lecturing.  When I was a kid, I didn't understand why my mom hated going to family gatherings, but later I found out it was because of the evangelizing.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

EvolutionCalling

One of my "favorite" tactics is the use of billboards and signs.  There is one on the Northbound side of I-65 in Alabama (just South of Birmingham) that says, "GO TO CHURCH OR THE DEVIL WITH GET YOU!"  They even added a little red goat/man looking dude with a pitch fork.  I giggle a little every time I pass it.  :|

Asmodean

Bleh... There will always be theists out there who will try to convert us. And we can feed them our arguments as they try to feed us their drivel and laugh at them knowing that all their hard work will be for nothing.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Salladin

Yea, I've got that response from my mom.  Wasn't that much fun.

karadan

Quote from: "Salladin"Yea, I've got that response from my mom.  Wasn't that much fun.

:(
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

jcm

Quote from: "Asmodean""ONE daY, JOO wiLL FEEl JEEzus!!"

that is some serious fire in the belly! I wish I could feel that way all the time, I really do.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

Loffler

Where do you people meet these Christians? I never get preached or witnessed to anymore.

SunKissed

lol I got that even while I was pretending/forcing myself to be Christian. Every time I said "I believe in God, but I'm not sure about Jesus and the Bible" someone assured me that I'm going to hell, and the only way out is if I believe in Jesus.

You'd think believing in God and being a good person is enough :(

EvolutionCalling

Quote from: "Loffler"Where do you people meet these Christians? I never get preached or witnessed to anymore.

I get around.  I also spend a lot of time in bible belt areas, so it happens.