News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

You have to love the Jesus freaks !

Started by Girl Dancing In Orbit, December 28, 2007, 12:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Girl Dancing In Orbit

It was at gay pride, I don't usually attend the pride since I believe that it does us more harm than good but anyways, there I was, having a good time with some friends when these Jesus freaks were handing out cheap paperback bibles.

- Jesus loves you ! Ear his words. Jesus hate the sin but loves the sinner blablabla...

You know how it goes right ?

So he hands me one of the bible :

- May you find the strength to save your soul. God loves you my sister !

So I replied :

- That's very nice of you ! Thank you very much ! It probably won't save my soul, but I'll gladly recycle your bible !

tacoma_kyle

I have got the occasional pamphlet on god, stuck on my door or on my truck wiper.

Is it that bad up there?
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Girl Dancing In Orbit

No, it's not that bad at all. That was an exception. Gay pride is a big thing with about 250 000 people coming from all across canada and the states and thousands of staff members. So I'm not surprise that such an event attracts Jesus freaks from all over the place.

And, as "spectacularly gay" as the gay pride can be, the Jesus freaks remains, by far if you ask me, the most notable encounters I had there. The the fact that they so obviously don't fit, really clashes with the rest of the crowd. And they really or sincerely, even passionately think that they are doing the right thing. It take some guts on their part to go there. I respect them in a weird way.

Gibson

I remember being so torn inside when my older sister came out.  I was a devout Christian at the time.  It probably took less than a day for me to come to the conclusion that Jesus said "Judge not lest ye be judged."  Occasionally, the topic would come up and I'd just shove it down again in my head because love was more important to me than what the bible said.  Ah, the bible - inspiring self-righteous scorn and disdain everywhere.  Hm, that's too weak - hatred and violence.  Yeah.  My reaction to my sister's news is proof that good morals/ethics come from within a person - NOT from religion.
Anyone who can worship a trinity and insist that his religion is a monotheism can believe anything ... just give him time to rationalize it.
-- Robert A Heinlein, from Job: A Comedy of Justice

Bella

They also make good doorstops. :D

Gibson

Damn!  I can't find it - there was a website that gave an address to send bibles to - they were going to build something out of them.  I can't remember, and if you do a google search on "atheist bible donation" or whatever, you get a mishmash of not helpful stuff.  Sound familiar?  I'm going to keep searching, cuz I've got a bunch of bibles.
Anyone who can worship a trinity and insist that his religion is a monotheism can believe anything ... just give him time to rationalize it.
-- Robert A Heinlein, from Job: A Comedy of Justice

Will

I wonder what the legal recourse would be for biblical harassment? I can't imagine people mailing me stuff because I've been "flagged" as an atheist. With abortion clinic terrorism coming back, I don't need that level of attention from that level of evangelical.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "Bella"They also make good doorstops.
The Jesus freaks or the Bible?
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

rlrose328

I love the free bibles!  I'm working on some altered books using bibles and atheism quotes.  It's a "thing" in scrapbooking to take a book, cut out pages, highlight passages, add ribbons, papers, other trinkets and such, to make a statement.  Freebie bibles are PERFECT for that!

I'm also collecting tracts from whomever cares to send me those they get... they'll come in handy for my "belief" album project.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Big Mac

Quote from: "Bella"They also make good doorstops. :D

Feh, amateurs! They make great fire starters for the fire place. It goes many fold into the blasphemous zone. You know what they say about fireplaces.....

People suffocate from the or something.  :wink:
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Lindsey_Mcfarren

They come to my house and leave pamphlets but when I actually hear some knock, I respond by telling them to get off my property.  One time I asked them to hang on a minute and went out to the garage and turned on the sprinkler system and forwarded it to the second zone, which sprays the people standing at the front door.

I have  been thinking of leaving some empty shot gun shells on the front porch to see what kind of response that would get.  I like to think that I give people something to talk about around the dinner table.
Better to reign in HELL then serve in Heaven. - Milton

tacoma_kyle

Are they that annoying?

You seem a little excessive.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Lindsey_Mcfarren

Quote from: "tacoma_kyle"Are they that annoying?

You seem a little excessive.

That may be but I do find it pretty annoying AND very arrogant to behave the way they do.

ShimShamSam

I think there are more damaging things you can do to them then running them off your property, you haven't gained anything over them, and they'll just continue on down the road. I tend to debate them. If I can leave them with unanswered questions, I did my job. I may even bring up the Riddle of Epicurus to logically defeat god. Is there a thread anywhere here ont he Riddle of Epicurus?

Lindsey_Mcfarren

Quote from: "ShimShamSam"I think there are more damaging things you can do to them then running them off your property, you haven't gained anything over them, and they'll just continue on down the road. I tend to debate them. If I can leave them with unanswered questions, I did my job. I may even bring up the Riddle of Epicurus to logically defeat god. Is there a thread anywhere here ont he Riddle of Epicurus?

Honestly all I really care about is keeping them away from my daughter and I.  I don't feel the responsibility to debate them or try to change them, I grew up among them I have heard it all and they are just lost as far as I'm concerned.