News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

"Inherently Sinful"

Started by Dobermonster, July 12, 2012, 01:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 12, 2012, 01:49:29 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the "you suck" approach is not the best motivational tool.
Which is equivalent to "you are born a sinner, you must atone"

fester30

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 12, 2012, 02:48:46 AM
That is so depressing....

How could someone think an innocent child is sinful or evil if they haven't done anything? I..just--- religious extremist having lots of children are what i am seriously afraid of. And i feel so, so bad for that child-- because he'll probably not break the chain. Or if he does, he will be damaged most likely.

I wouldn't necessarily say damaged.  I was raised Christian.  My parents and preachers told me the same things.  There are a lot of beautiful things in life that I feel I would have experienced in different ways had I not been, and perhaps with a different view of the world I would have enjoyed life more for those three decades.  However, I don't feel damaged as a result.  There are a lot of Sundays I wish I could have back, though lol.

technolud

Quote from: dobermonsterA cousin dropped by with his four-year-old son to pick up some furniture I was giving away. I entertained the tyke while he loaded up the car, and then we chatted for a few minutes about kids and school and whatnot. He started saying that schools didn't teach everything kids need to know, how parents need to pay attention to what they're learning, etc, and teach them moral values at home . . .. like how his son is inherently sinful. My eyes glazed over for a second, I'm sure, while I digested the image of this father teaching the intelligent, happy little boy playing at my feet that he is evil. I didn't know what to say . . . certainly anything I felt like saying would've been inappropriate in front of a small child. Simply, it made me very sad.

Don't focus on the dad. Focus on the kid.  Support him, praise him, help him to feel good about himself.  Kids are amazingly resiliant.  Help him down the road of positive self image.

Dobermonster

Quote from: technolud on July 15, 2012, 01:49:26 AM
Quote from: dobermonsterA cousin dropped by with his four-year-old son to pick up some furniture I was giving away. I entertained the tyke while he loaded up the car, and then we chatted for a few minutes about kids and school and whatnot. He started saying that schools didn't teach everything kids need to know, how parents need to pay attention to what they're learning, etc, and teach them moral values at home . . .. like how his son is inherently sinful. My eyes glazed over for a second, I'm sure, while I digested the image of this father teaching the intelligent, happy little boy playing at my feet that he is evil. I didn't know what to say . . . certainly anything I felt like saying would've been inappropriate in front of a small child. Simply, it made me very sad.

Don't focus on the dad. Focus on the kid.  Support him, praise him, help him to feel good about himself.  Kids are amazingly resiliant.  Help him down the road of positive self image.

They live far away, I hardly ever see them. He seems like a smart little guy, and I don't doubt his parents are very encouraging in other ways. Hopefully those things will deter any potential guilt or fear baggage.

Ecurb Noselrub

Apart from the issue of whether one should actually teach a child that he is "inherently sinful," Christian theologian Reinhold Niebuhr said that original sin is one of the only factually verifiable claims that Christianity makes.  While I disagree that "original sin" in its typical presentation is historically verifiable, would you not agree that all of us have the capacity for evil/bad behavior, and that unless formed in some manner, we are more likely to go down a path of destruction than of good?  You don't have to teach a child to be "bad," so to speak.  Take a group of 3 year-olds and put them in a room with no adult supervision, and pretty soon you will have a Lord of the Flies situation.  Someone's going to get hurt.

Non Quixote

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 22, 2012, 02:29:20 PM
Apart from the issue of whether one should actually teach a child that he is "inherently sinful," Christian theologian Reinhold Niebuhr said that original sin is one of the only factually verifiable claims that Christianity makes.  While I disagree that "original sin" in its typical presentation is historically verifiable, would you not agree that all of us have the capacity for evil/bad behavior, and that unless formed in some manner, we are more likely to go down a path of destruction than of good?  You don't have to teach a child to be "bad," so to speak.  Take a group of 3 year-olds and put them in a room with no adult supervision, and pretty soon you will have a Lord of the Flies situation.  Someone's going to get hurt.
This is a huge topic for me and one that I could fill an entire forum with, but you can breathe a sigh of relief as I promise that I'll keep it short!

With the notable exception of those individuals who are "badly" hardwired, I do not believe that any human being born is inherently good or evil.  What we are is a biological computer (just like any other animal) which is created with hardwired ROM (instinct or Id if that sounds better) and we are continually programmed from creation by our environment.

One of the reasons that I have a hard time with laying blame on people for the acts that they commit is that we don't choose our programming, our environment does.  Unless of course there is some sort of physical trauma to the brain which goes back to bad hardwiring.

That's not to say that I don't believe in incarceration and to some extent capital punishment (you don't rehabilitate a mad dog, you shoot it), I just feel pity rather than hatred for the folks that these measures must be applied to.  With the exception of bad wiring, monsters aren't born, they're created afterward.

Telling a child that they are inherently evil over time runs the risk of teaching that child that they are inherently evil.

That's just a personal opinion, my three college courses in psych + 6 bucks will get me a coffee at Starbucks.
Ya give 'em books and they just chew on the covers...
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

Ecurb Noselrub

Agreed that you should not tell a child that he is inherently sinful, as that creates a self-image that may prove to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.  My point is simply that, in the complete absence of socialization from an adult, a child is likely to tend toward behavior that would be considered to be "bad" in most social settings.  We need to be taught to be "good."  We don't arrive at that naturally.  That's my limited argument.

En_Route

Quote from: Non Quixote on July 22, 2012, 03:08:33 PM
This is a huge topic for me and one that I could fill an entire forum with, but you can breathe a sigh of relief as I promise that I'll keep it short!

With the notable exception of those individuals who are "badly" hardwired, I do not believe that any human being born is inherently good or evil.  What we are is a biological computer (just like any other animal) which is created with hardwired ROM (instinct or Id if that sounds better) and we are continually programmed from creation by our environment.

One of the reasons that I have a hard time with laying blame on people for the acts that they commit is that we don't choose our programming, our environment does.  Unless of course there is some sort of physical trauma to the brain which goes back to bad hardwiring.

That's not to say that I don't believe in incarceration and to some extent capital punishment (you don't rehabilitate a mad dog, you shoot it), I just feel pity rather than hatred for the folks that these measures must be applied to.  With the exception of bad wiring, monsters aren't born, they're created afterward.

Telling a child that they are inherently evil over time runs the risk of teaching that child that they are inherently evil.

That's just a personal opinion, my three college courses in psych + 6 bucks will get me a coffee at Starbucks.

Presumably you'd accept that someone  born with "bad" hardwiring is equally not responsible for their actions. The net result is that logically nobody is ultimately responsible for their actions, which is the position I take. I don't think it is a position which can be refuted logically, but people resist it because they recoil from its implications. It doesn't mean that a rational society shouldn't punish criminals; penalising them may deter them and incarceration may  also protect us from dangerous people. Incarceration which rehabilitates criminals might be also seen as a worthwhile investment but this rarely occurs in real life. There is no doubt that the criminal law also serves to satisfy the notion of just dessert , which is probably just a fancy name for the desire for revenge and fulfils a necessary social function in that respect.
I'd argue incidentally that the interaction between genes and environment is rather more complex than you depict it. The environment can switch on  or switch off genes which then determine how we respond to our environmental  influences and so on in an unimaginably complex two- handed process.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Stevil

would you not agree that all of us have the capacity for evil/bad behavior
There is no such thing as evil/bad behavior.

We all act the way we act because we exist, are animals that desire survival, and in particular for us we are human. Their is no inherent sin in humanity, none of us are capable of sin, what is sin anyway but an imagined concept of going against an imaginary god.
There is no god, no devil, no angels, no demons, no metaphysical soul. We are the product of physical laws which we cannot change or break. We have no choice but to act the way we do, because that is what the laws of physics dictate.

Some people act in a way that is "dangerous" to society and others look to remove that danger. "evil/bad" No!, Dangerous Yes!

Stevil

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 22, 2012, 03:26:28 PM
Agreed that you should not tell a child that he is inherently sinful, as that creates a self-image that may prove to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.  My point is simply that, in the complete absence of socialization from an adult, a child is likely to tend toward behavior that would be considered to be "bad" in most social settings.  We need to be taught to be "good."  We don't arrive at that naturally.  That's my limited argument.
Most animals go through stages of maturity , dependency, adolescence, maturity. The values and behaviours adult teach to their offspring are often replaced by reason and experience as the child grows up. That is why the teenage years are seen as so rebellious.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Stevil on July 22, 2012, 08:08:20 PM

We all act the way we act because we exist, are animals that desire survival, and in particular for us we are human. Their is no inherent sin in humanity, none of us are capable of sin, what is sin anyway but an imagined concept of going against an imaginary god.
There is no god, no devil, no angels, no demons, no metaphysical soul. We are the product of physical laws which we cannot change or break. We have no choice but to act the way we do, because that is what the laws of physics dictate.

Some people act in a way that is "dangerous" to society and others look to remove that danger. "evil/bad" No!, Dangerous Yes!

I agree.
that's why such a black/white way of thinking is dangerous. Saying "the police officer are good guys" automatically assumes they cannot do any wrong. But we all know how many corrupted police officers there are, involved in drugs, gun rings or worse.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

En_Route

Quote from: Stevil on July 22, 2012, 08:08:20 PM

Quite so. From an evolutionary perspective, it makes sense for human beings to treat other as agents who are responsible for their own actions. However as human beings we are also capable of self- awareness and of transcending our genetic programming and seeing that the blame game is precisely that.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Hector Valdez

I imagine that if something is considered as "bad" , then for all intents and purpose that characterization guides action in the stead of experience. Never underestimate the ability of a belief to override actions of a more... animalistic affectation.